TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

I think it is great that they have acquired another park. I was excited when they were in negotiations for Kentucky Kingdom.

From the sounds of it, the park will be ran similar to Holiday World, and I would not expect anything less from the family.

Has anyone confirmed that Pat left? i haven't seen it in any of the Press Releases.

I think its a good assumption to make especially if both Natalie and Dan are both involved. Pat hasn't been around Holiday World ever since Lori took over and Dan was forced out. I don't see Pat sitting idle or going into early retirement she's such an active person it would take a lot to keep her out.

Without going in to too many "deep" details:

That was perfect.

My one question is why was Cedar Fair brought in to potentially manage it in the 2000ish timeframe? Unless I'm mistaken (and for the record, I've never been there, I just remember every so often hearing about Rampage and getting confused because the park seemed to change names every other year), the park was always really small, far smaller than a park that Cedar Fair would usually have had control over. I was always VERY interested in Rampage, but the park itself always seemed more like it was an "Indiana Fun Spot" type park and less of an even "Michigan's Adventure". Is that accurate-ish, or is the water park really big?

Fascinating stuff though, I'm really curious to see how this goes!

I would say it is a combination of both. The waterpark was too small for its crowds when it opened, and it took them six seasons to finally expand it. Some of the owners felt like those people you see on those house flipping shows: buy dirt cheap, make cheap improvements, upset the guests, and cash out.

The bloodline has not technically left Holiday World. Will's two oldest children are already in management positions and I believe they're involved in decisions on the future of the park. They looked poised to take over whenever they're ready. Also, Dan still owns 40% of Holiday World, so technically he hasn't left, even though it looks like he has no say in what's going on at HW. Dan recently said he had no interest in selling his share of the park and even said he was ready to work whenever they needed him.

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Dan Koch didn't want to pay the extra 5 million to get full controlling interest of Holiday World, but he was willing to pay his lawyer fee's to appeal a case he had no shot at winning 3 different times? Then he turns around and buys a waterpark?

Pat Koch going to a different park just doesn't seem right. She was Holiday World for a very long time.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Will it actually be successful? Lots of ownership changes leaves me thinking that the place either had terrible managers or the park itself has some issues.

Visionland, as originally built, had lofty attendance goals and no practical way to meet them. It was probably a money grab for politicians in the area, a thought backed up by the head of the project now being in prison. Following management groups are, by and large, no longer in the industry, showing their skill. There's a million people in the immediate metro area and a lot of underserved communities within reasonable distance. For the Koch's, there's usable infrastructure there and exponentially more people within a 50 mile radius. They have a pretty good formula to make it work.

This is great news! Based on the way that the Koch's know how to run a theme park and a water park, they are bound to make this work and build a successful park.

I think it's a safe bet that if this management/ownership can't turn around the park, the park should be given up on completely!

Here's a new article with more information from Dan on their plans for the park. Highlights include:

-They are spending $7 million to purchase and expand the park

-Final pricing to be decided. He expects season pass prices will go up, but lower food prices.

-Getting Rampage up and running is a priority, but they are unsure of an exact timeline at this point.

-They have a strategic plan through 2018

-There will be a big emphasis on employees and ther cornerstones of safety, service, friendliness, and cleanliness.

Full article

-d4d7fd452041850b.JPG.c29fac71bdfb27c340d4afcc977b10af.JPG

From AL.com

Will it actually be successful? Lots of ownership changes leaves me thinking that the place either had terrible managers or the park itself has some issues.

Visionland, as originally built, had lofty attendance goals and no practical way to meet them. It was probably a money grab for politicians in the area, a thought backed up by the head of the project now being in prison. Following management groups are, by and large, no longer in the industry, showing their skill. There's a million people in the immediate metro area and a lot of underserved communities within reasonable distance. For the Koch's, there's usable infrastructure there and exponentially more people within a 50 mile radius. They have a pretty good formula to make it work.

When you put it like that, you would think that a reputable park operator would have snatched it up long before the Koch's came in. So I'm still not totally sold. Especially when you consider the fact they essentially had to settle for this park after Kentucky Kingdom didn't work out...

When you put it like that, you would think that a reputable park operator would have snatched it up long before the Koch's came in. So I'm still not totally sold. Especially when you consider the fact they essentially had to settle for this park after Kentucky Kingdom didn't work out...

Well, as someone already said, Cedar Fair was under the very real impression it would be their's. Who knows what they saw in due diligence. In the years since then, the operators that exist have been in a "sell" mode rather than acquisition.

As far as what the Koch's had planned for Kentucky Kingdom....they made it clear they were scrapping the dry park after a short time. I don't think that sat well with some in the fair board. And really, why should it have? That park once had 7 figure attendance under the management of the guy who's there now. IMO it seemed like a natural thing for Holiday World to purchase and run at a smaller capacity since Louisville is quite obviously the residence of much of their visitors in Santa Claus. Thankfully they *didn't* get the park.