TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Actually, there is "bloodline" on both sides. Lori argued (if I recall the news stories correctly) that her central interest was in seeing Will Koch's children (directly blood next-gen) eventually manage the park. Those kids are 26, 23, and 20 now, adding 4 to their ages at the time of Will's death in 2010.

Uhh... Holy cow. This caught me far off guard... Well, at least Alabama Adventure will be getting the love it desparately needs. I'm just worried about how they'll handle the crowds in a totally different zone versus the one they had in Indiana.

So glad to see this thread revived with something (relatively) positive too.

Wow, talk about something coming from out of left field. This is great news for Alabama. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

I wonder if the idea to buy another property came from coming together for the Bluegrass Boardwalk project and the feud just sort of pushed the idea faster. Also, if the ride side didn't do so well under the two or three prior owners would bringing back the ride side be a good idea? I have no doubt that the Kochs can revive the park as a whole using the Holiday World formula that has been very successful but from what I understand most people would just go to SFOG anyway.

HWFan

Could you quote or link to what he said?

It's his personal Facebook account, so I don't know if he'd like that, and I don't know how to do it on my phone. "We gotta fix Rampage! Where is my tool belt? I've been walking the track." Is what the comment included.

Uhh... Holy cow. This caught me far off guard... Well, at least Alabama Adventure will be getting the love it desparately needs. I'm just worried about how they'll handle the crowds in a totally different zone versus the one they had in Indiana.

They will bring in the crowds. The demographics are similar...

All I can say is this is a big loss for HW, Dan & Pat are awesome and I love how my first two years of HW Nights they both dressed up in costume for the Friday night welcoming and then on Saturday at the picnic they would go out of their way to walk around and talk to total strangers. My 3rd one was with Lori and the kids doing it and in my opinion it just wasn't that exciting, the music was so loud you couldn't hardly hear the person next to you, and I never saw Matt, Lori, or the children walking around talking to the attendees, to me they just kind of stood off to one side and kind of talked among themselves.

Splash Adventure WaterPark purchased by the Koch family

Birmingham, AL -The Koch family has acquired Alabama's Splash Adventure Waterpark and will re-open the park for the 2014 summer season. Dan Koch, who led the acquisition, is bringing his family's seven decades of experience in the amusement and water park industry to his new home in Alabama.

“I am thrilled to be living and working in this community,” said Dan Koch. “Our family wants Alabama’s Splash Adventure Waterpark to be the number one choice for family fun and family memories for generations to come.”

Koch Parks, Inc. has purchased the water park with 89 acres of land, which will aid in future expansion. General Attractions, LLC, the park’s previous owner, will retain 150 acres surrounding the park for future development.

Kent Lemasters, President of General Attractions, LLC said, "We are pleased that the Koch family are the new owners of Splash Adventure. We feel very confident that because of their very high reputation and experience of over 75 years in the amusement park industry, that they will continue to take the park forward to new, high levels of achievement for the benefit of the entire area including those who visit the park and the surrounding communities and we wish them every success."

The Koch family has a reputation for superior customer service and will operate the park with a special focus on providing safe, family fun for all ages. New attractions include five new rides for kids including a Wacky Worm Coaster, Rio Grande Train, Junior Bumper Boats, Mini Helicopters, and Vintage Boats. A new Laser Maze Challenge will also be added for heart-pounding family fun as well as games to entertain the younger family members. All guests will enjoy free parking, free sunscreen, free access to inner tubes and free in-park WiFi. Additional expansion plans for Alabama’s Splash Adventure Waterpark are currently being developed. The park will re-open for weekend operations beginning May 17th.

A job fair will be held on March 22 from 8:30am until 4:00pm to hire new Splash Team Members to join the Koch Parks family.

Alabama’s Splash Adventure Waterpark, now owned and operated by the Koch family, is located on the 20/59 at exit 110 just minutes from Birmingham and Hoover. For more information on tickets, season passes, birthday parties, and group outings, call 205.481-4750 or visit http://www.alabamasplash.com

This did seem to come out of left field. Of course, we have to take any Rampage rumors with a grain of salt, not because of the source, but just because you never know. Does sound promising as of now, though.

^ I bet they build a bigger Voyage.

Very funny.

Is there anyone that can give a crash course of what in the world was going on at this park? I spent about 15 minutes just now trying to get a sense of what in the world this was before they came in to buy it, and it seems like it went through a bunch of management changes over and over. The Rumbler was opened, closed, opened and closed.

What was going on here to cause all this? How many of the "dry rides" were actually sold?

Awesome, I live in Alabama. I always liked the park. It needs more shade. It's freaking hot as hell in the Summer. I was sad to see the ride side go...But the owners of the park let it go down with little security in the park. I'm visiting HW for the first time this year so I'm kind of anxious, but seeing how all the Koch family feud is going on, it'll be weird. But whatever, as long as both parks are run to their full potential, I got no problem. I want to ride Rampage again!

This is bitter sweet for me seeing them leave. I loved Pat when she was still at Holiday World and now .she is packing up and leaving behind the park her husband built up, which is very depressing once you think about it. However, on the bright side, the fact that they are putting in the values they had at Holiday World down into Alabama Adventure, it makes me happy they are reviving this park once again. Very mixed feelings here.

Also, this may make many people feel that Lori is the "bad guy" in the case when she did kick aside the bloodline family. I do still wish her the best and hope she knows what she is doing...

Wait a minute, people. It doesn't at all sound like all the Kochs are gone from Holiday world. Pat and Bill had Five children: Will (deceased 2010), Phil (deceased 2012), Natalie, Dan and Kristie. All of them had a new generation of family growing up as each was married with children. It looks like Dan and Natalie have taken Pat and others down to Alabama, but Will's widow, Lori and their children as well as Kristie and her family will stay. I don't know this for sure, but the family is huge and both parks remain in "separate" Koch control.

Paula could help us out on who is going where.

Is there anyone that can give a crash course of what in the world was going on at this park?

Without going in to too many "deep" details:

-Opened in 1998 by 11 cities in the area, lead by then Fairfield Mayor Larry Langford (currently in prison after being convicted on bribery charges). He was stubbon and did things his way. He fired the first general manager, who actually had park experience, over disagreements on how to run the park and replaced him with a former FBI agent. Yeah.

-Nearly had a management deal with Cedar Fair before the 2000 season. CF pulled out at the last minute (The park was listed on Tshirts a Knott's Winter Solace that year. That's how close it was).

-Eventually signed deal with Alfa Smart Parks to manage the park. Finances improved, but it was too little too late. Filed Chapter 9 bankruptcy in 2002. Operates only as waterpark in 2002.

-Purchased by Team Pro Parks and Southland Entertainment who reopen the full park in 2003

-Southland sold the park in 2008 to Adrenaline Family Entertainment

-2011 two big things dramatically lower attendence: the string of tornadoes that hit the area on April 27th and a riot broke out during the park's first "$10 before 10" promotion of the year. Promotion was ended.

-AFE also got out of the amusement business and listed both of their parks on the market. Clementon is bought by Premiere.

-January 2012 park is bough by General Attractions, which is basically a renamed Southland Entertainment that had sold the park in 2008 for a fraction of the price they sold they park for back in 2008. Rides side closed, waterpark expanded.

That's about as simple as I can make it

How many of the "dry rides" were actually sold?

As of the end of last season, all were gone except for Rampage, The Pirate (Huss Pirate ship), and Buzzsaw Falls (Shoot the chute), although BSF was sold and was supposed to be relocated to another park.

I don't know this for sure, but the family is huge and both parks remain in "separate" Koch control.

Paula could help us out on who is going where.

Correct. Lori and Will's kids still run Holiday World and have nothing to do with Dan, Natalie, and Pat's purchase of Splash Adventure.