TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

I Wish Alabama Adventure could some how get those videos off of you tube. The park really is not like that on a daily basis. I am a season pass holder and have been going since the park opened. The events that happened were because of the $10 promotion unsupervised kids were let loose and acted crazy, since then the park has increased security and discontinued the promotion.

The same could be said for my visit to Waldameer on Memorial Day...I have never in all of my visits seen such unruly guests, but I know the park is not like that on normal days.

Absolutely not the parks fault for people acting like idiots!

• 1 month later...

AFE has announced they are looking to sell the park.

The Oklahoma-based owner of Alabama Adventure is considering selling the Bessemer amusement park, citing poor attendance this summer.

Jim Kuno, marketing director at the Bessemer park, said in an interview today that Adrenaline Family Entertainment is exploring "potential opportunities that could include a sale, but nothing has been decided."

Despite the addition of a water ride called BuzzSaw Falls that has been well received, Kuno said Alabama Adventure's amusement park and waterpark suffered lower than expected attendance this summer. He blamed a combination of 100-degree heat index weather over two weeks in early June, plus a continuation of a sluggish economy and fallout from the April 27 tornadoes.

"We lost a large part of our customer base when the tornadoes hit, so sure we were affected," Kuno said.

He wouldn't divulge attendance figures. Kuno said he has no way of knowing whether media coverage of a fight between teenagers at Alabama Adventure in early June hurt attendance. Alabama Adventure discontinued a $10 promotion after the melee, which park attendees blamed on unsupervised teenagers.

Alabama Adventure has had a checkered history since then-Fairfield Mayor Larry Langford convinced area municipalities in 1997 to help finance construction of Alabama's largest amusement park. It went bankrupt in 2002, then was acquired by Southland Entertainment which invested millions of dollars in improvements.

In 2008, Adrenaline acquired the park from Southland. Kuno said Alabama Adventure officials are already making preparations for the 2012 season.

"We are looking at ways to cut costs and improve attendance," he said.

The article can be found here.

Although the article does not mention it, AFE is also trying to sell Clementon Park.

IMO, if the park is to survive they need an owner in it for the long haul. The two owners after the park was taken private both felt like their main intention was to own it a few year and try to "flip it" for a higher selling price. If the next owner isn't willing to put some money into it to truly improve its image I don't know how much longer it will last. Granted, AFE has put money into it, the parks image is always going to be an uphill battle because of its location. Comments like those in the article page show what many of the over the mountain types in Birmingham think: its dirty, too expensive, and over run with thugs. I actually think that's pretty far from the truth, but I guess that's the bias in me coming out.

^It's definitely not as bad as a lot of people think it is, but the image was tarnished so badly in the past, it's extremely difficult to change everyone's minds. I can be honest and say that the one year I was there, it did have some of the clientele issues that people associate with the park, but nowhere near as bad as anyone makes it out to be. I would say SFOG's clientele were FAR worse the times I went there.

The article I read says that they would know if the park will sell in the next three months or so. I hope if the sell happens they find an owner interested in expanding the dry section of the park, it needs more exciting thrill rides to compete with six flags that's only two hours away and that people have been going to for years. I hope that they don't decide to close and sell the rides, If they open next year they mentioned they are looking for ways to make the park more profitable because it is much larger than what they attract in business meaning they will probably only open the water park, maybe that want be the case. The Park could truly be excellent with the wright owners.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be super if the company that own Knotts Berry Farm in California purchased AA and turned it into a branch of Knotts! I have always wished that we had a few of the west coast entertainment venues here in Alabama.... and since Florida got Disney and Universal I think that it would be amazing if Alabama got something like a Knotts Berry Farm.

While I know the odds are more than against it happening...it sure is a nice dream!

It would be super if the company that own Knotts Berry Farm in California purchased AA and turned it into a branch of Knotts! I have always wished that we had a few of the west coast entertainment venues here in Alabama.... and since Florida got Disney and Universal I think that it would be amazing if Alabama got something like a Knotts Berry Farm.

While I know the odds are more than against it happening...it sure is a nice dream!

Knott's is owned by Cedar Fair (the company that owns California's Great America, Cedar Point, and Kings Island among others) and is based out of Sandusky, OH.

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe that Alabama Adventure does have a lot of potential but it does have a couple of things going against it.

The first is the lack of rides. The park needs a lot more modern rides and a large variety of them. Rides that are suitable for all different level of "thrill seekers"...from the tame to the super daring.

The other problem is I do not think that the park has enough land. While there is room for expansion I am concerned that the more successful companies would not be interested in AA because of the amount of land it has for future expansion. Sadly, when Landford sold off the park he first sold off several parcels of the land the park had. Now who ever buys the park will face the possibility of having to buy more land sometime in the future.

Alabama Adventure needs a owner who is serious about turning the park into a successful amusement/entertainment venue..... and has the money to come in and build several great rides as soon as the park becomes theirs.

They need to be able to add a new attraction to the park at least every other year (every year would be better) until the park becomes "THE" Amusement Park for the Southeast!

They need to have the money to hire great staff, workers and security. They need access to a really good advertising/publicity and image firm.

The park is the proverbial ugly ducking waiting to be turned into the swan that we all know it could be.....and hope that it someday soon.... will be!!!

Sounds like a GP comment. If Cedar Fair (the owners of Knott's) bought Alabama Adventure it would keep the same name. They didn't turn any of the other parks they acquired into a branch of Knott's.

Sounds like a GP comment. If Cedar Fair (the owners of Knott's) bought Alabama Adventure it would keep the same name. They didn't turn any of the other parks they acquired into a branch of Knott's.

Plus, CF doesn't have the money to buy this park and they probably don't want to. It's going to be a long time until CF buys more parks because of the recent purchase of Paramount Parks. There is a small chance that Six Flags will buy it.

The funny thing about suggesting Cedar Fair buy the park was they DID agree to manage the park back in 1999. IIRC, the deal was supposed to be for five years and they had the option to purchase the park during the contract. Knott's even gave away shirts at their Westcoaster event that year that included Visionland as a CF property. They eventually walked away from the contract because they did not like some of the terms of it.

Knott's Great America? Knott's Soak City?