TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Brain Rush

I was just browsing iTunes and stumbled across a new reality television show called "Brain Rush" in the "free" section. Basically they find 3 "random" park patrons at Knott’s Berry Farms and ask them a series of questions while riding a roller coaster (Boomerang). The more questions answered correctly, the more money they receive. At the end of the ride, the money is totalled and the person with the lowest amount leaves (with the amount that they won) whiles the other 2 move on to a bigger coaster (Silver Bullet). At the end of the show the person with the most cash rides the biggest coaster in the park (Exccelerator) and answers a question from a topic of their choice. Overall it was an interesting show with a good concept. I mean, riding a roller coaster and getting cash sounds pretty good to me. I feel as though it is staged and that the 3 people selected are not selected at "random" but rather they were kids who have applied for the roles through an acting agency wanting to become the next child star. All in all, I really only enjoyed the show for it’s on ride and off ride footage lol.

Has anyone else seen it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah my brother any I watched it yesterday but I think the only reason I was kept interested was because of the rides; I agree it seemed really "staged" as you said. I wonder if theyre doing every episode at KBF? Id keep watching it if the did footage at other parks but Id assume theyre probably not going to.

My question is, who put LIVE ACTION in my CARTOON Network?

Other than that, mediocre Cash Cab ripoff with a gimmick. I wish the show would do a dumb cheesy fact sheet on the ride before the competition (like a Travel Channel special).

How many questions could you ask in 22 seconds?

Sad to say that I watched it, they only asked about 5-6 question on Boomerang. On Silver Bullet and Xcelerator they had to remember letters given to them and also had to name multiple answers to one question.

My question is, who put LIVE ACTION in my CARTOON Network?.

Get used to it...I forsee CN becoming yet another Reality Show channel, just like MTV is now.

It's sad, but that's the way TV is going now...all reality shows, or gritty "Real World" dramas.

Get used to it...I forsee CN becoming yet another Reality Show channel, just like MTV is now.

It's sad, but that's the way TV is going now...all reality shows, or gritty "Real World" dramas.

Not as much the Reality Show channel as much as the "let's make kid versions of other people's shows!" channel. As for this, both Ashley and I came across the show as well and thought it to be entertaining. I just lamented the host for having to ride the Boomerang that many times to get the shots needed.

Yea, I saw an episode of it. I guess it's cool, but the only thing that got me interested is that they are riding rollercoasters. The whole money part, meh. I wonder if they DO succeed, will they change park locations or something.

Oh and about live action in CN, it's been like that for a while. Some nights they'll show movies, but the forefront is still cartoons. Adding shows like these arent bad, since they are probably catering to the general demographic that is alot younger than me..lol. Who says EVERYTHING has to be cartoons? Beside, I still get my daily cartoon fix regardless.

I watched my first episode last night and was convinced the whole thing was staged by the end. The riders (especially female) are way too made up to be your typical GP parkgoer. Perfect hair, makeup and clothing that would never be your "normal" pick to wear to a park.

Still, I'll probably tune in a few more times...as long as they switch parks/rides.

I just watched my second episode of BrainRush and so far, it's at Knott's again. Hopefully, IF this show gets renewed for a second season, it'll take place at a different park.

I can also verify that when the host and the contestant are going up the chain lift on Boomerang and Silver Bullet, it sounds A LOT like the chain lift noise in Roller Coaster Tycoon. They also moved several parts of the ride footage along too.

I saw the first episode. Am I the only person that finds it wierd that (in this example Silver Bullet) there were riders sitting in like 2 rows, not moving, talking to each other, or doing anything other than just being extras in the background. At the very least the other "riders" are staged. and with no one in the bull pins and the 2nd train in storage, it then becomes hard to believe that someone was "randomly picked" while waiting in line, as signs point to the ride being closed for filming. Staged, but milding entertaining. Definately staged though.

I agree with everyone on the being staged part. I saw the first episode and it was slightly cheesy and not as "random" as they say it is. Overall, the show isn't that bad, but it would be better if they mixed up the parks every week.

^I don't think they have the budget for that just yet. I mean for CN to be based out of Burbank, I'd have figured they'd film at SFMM, being that it's closer, more recognizable, and SF could've used the extra money right now, but I guess filming would have been more of a burden at a park like MM.

Do you guys think it's staged?

I personally think each reality show is staged to some extent.

Cash Cab isn't really "real time" as it turns out to be because there's also a production van following behind the taxi, contestants of course have to sign some release forms and waivers, and lastly the contestants are handed over play money at the end of their run (if they make it).

Brain Rush, just being a Cash Cab knockoff, seems staged enough to require re-rides just so they could have more "in between" footage. I'm pretty sure Brain Rush has milked practically every angle of Knotts's coasters imaginable just to make an episode.

But what frustrates me more is that Cartoon Network is showing live action. Apparently this was supposed to boost ratings, but this CN REAL block bombed pretty hard. And apparently somebody over at the network isn't reading demographic charts.

^I don't think they have the budget for that just yet. I mean for CN to be based out of Burbank, I'd have figured they'd film at SFMM, being that it's closer, more recognizable, and SF could've used the extra money right now, but I guess filming would have been more of a burden at a park like MM.

As with most shows, the station a show airs on has little to do with who actually makes the show including filming locations. Most of the time, a pilot is filmed and shopped around to different stations hoping to get picked up. I'm sure it was just Knott's offering the cheapest filming option to the production company at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh really guy entering the car from the unloading platform, I'm on that tv show that no one knows about!! Sweet! Those gigantic black boxes on the front of the train totally fooled me. What do you mean we just rode that part of Boomerang. It doesn't go upside down 18 times?

I also love the mistakes the production crew make in the show. There have been several times the graphics have been for the wrong amount or have had spelling errors.

While it is a blatant rip off of cash cab, I would love to go on it, especially with the opportunity to get paid to shove some fast food down my mouth and then be given the opportunity to...wait for it...double or halve my money. Oooooo.... I would need to brush up on the stuff I used to know or should have known when I was a kid such as names and backgrounds of superheros.

I also like Lets attempt to legitimize blowing sh!t up on TV with Andrew W.K..

I think it'd be much more interesting to see this show at SFMM. More interesting rides, more levels, etc.

Right now, I think the show is pretty stupid. The same 3 rides at the same park...everytime. I also think it's pretty dumb how they say it gets 'dangerous' when it gets to Xcelerator, but hey, scaring away riders and emptying lines is fine with me.

Btw, how are all this people (who are kids, especially the scared ones) at the parks by themselves? Yeah. Staged.