TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^^ My ride in the middle yesterday was pretty shaky through out the whole ride.

Dominator is doing the SAME thing no matter which train you ride with the rattle & vibrations becoming more & more progressive the further into the ride you go...

I've yet to encounter this fabled B&M rattle, and if I have, it hasn't affected the quality of the ride to the point where I would think to care about it.

^^"One of the first in the world" would support a wingrider. Could also support a couple other coaster styles too, but the wingriders only started appearing this year, and so far there's only one standing. Since Dollywood may be getting one too, they would have to avoid saying "first in the U.S." or something similar.

I've yet to encounter this fabled B&M rattle, and if I have, it hasn't affected the quality of the ride to the point where I would think to care about it.

I know! I've never had that problem either. And if I have, I haven't even noticed.

"One of the World's First" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "The World's First" or any of the "-est" approaches in advertising.

No, it really doesn't, but if it's not going to be the first, tallest, fastest, longest, I guess they don't have much choice but to emphasize that its in a small class of similar rides, thus it stands out.

^^ My ride in the middle yesterday was pretty shaky through out the whole ride. My first ride a little closer to the front was much better though, same train both times. I will say that as a whole, I've liked Raging Bull better this year. It seems my rides, for the most part, have been pretty smooth with more floater air than I noticed last year. I think it still has potential to be better, but how it's been this year hasn't been too bad either.

Dominator is doing the SAME thing no matter which train you ride with the rattle & vibrations becoming more & more progressive the further into the ride you go but seems to be smoother toward the front,granted I havn't had any front seat rides in over a year now due to the wait times being so long......Carowind's intimidator on the otherhand was smooth from start to finish both times I rode it earlier in the month

At least one of the trains on Raging Bull was doing the shaking/rattling thing a few days ago (August 21); another was not. I didn't keep track of which was and which wasn't. I also noticed this shaking/rattling on a couple other Beemers back in June: at least one train on Behemoth @ CW and at least one train on Hydra @ DP. They were actually rough enough so as to make the ride quite uncomfortable.

If these rides had been my only ones on Beemers, I would think all of their coasters were rough. What gives? Different parts? New maintenance directives from B&M? Not enough maintenance? Time to get out the wrench and tighten things up...

I'm not sure if there is any truth to this at all... maybe just BS or boredom from the people I've talked to... but I've heard some people say that certain parks have experimented with different compound wheels in different temperatures (think of it like summer tires, winter tires). I've heard that soft compound wheels ride smoother and wear less on the track, but wear out too fast in summer, increasing wear, maintenance, and cost... I've heard that summer compounds are harder and run longer/wear better in the summer, but tend to give a rougher ride as the weather changes to cooler weather. Plus these would wear on the track much more in colder weather.

I've only been on bull a few times (hate the restraints), but its always been a bit rough to me (compared to batman or superman, for sure)

I've only been on bull a few times (hate the restraints), but its always been a bit rough to me (compared to batman or superman, for sure)

Totally respect your opinion, but you don't like the restraints on Raging Bull? I don't know that I've heard that before, most people, myself included seem to love the B&M hyper restraints. I'm curious to know what you don't like about them.

I figured someone would ask about the restraints thing. I'm a big time positive G-forces fan... still learning to like the airtime as much. I think it's because whizzer was my first coaster (this was in 00 or 01) and bull was my second.... The restraints on bull have never felt right to me... I don't ride with my hands up, and hanging on to that restraint with one hand just feels weird.... I guess its because you can't rest your arm on it the same way you can the bar on eagle or viper, it just feels weird.... Not sure how to describe it. On a wooden coaster, or on a OTSR I forget the restraint is there... on bull it seems to constantly remind me it's there... and I don't like it.

I love every thing about B&M hyper trains. They give you some much freedom to move and are very comfortable. I hardly notice them at all unlike Intamin trains which I feel where built for people no taller than 4'6'' (I'm 6' 1''). I could sit in bulls seats all day where after 1 ride on Millennium Force I am begging to get out.

I love every thing about B&M hyper trains. They give you some much freedom to move and are very comfortable. I hardly notice them at all unlike Intamin trains which I feel where built for people no taller than 4'6'' (I'm 6' 1''). I could sit in bulls seats all day where after 1 ride on Millennium Force I am begging to get out.

Love B&M hypers too. The handle bars on the lap bar was epic genious

I didn't notice any rattling on Raging Bull when I rode it earlier this month. I think I rode 6 or 7 times and probably rode all 3 trains that they were running. Front/Back/Middle.

For those of you that aren't sure if you've felt the B&M rattle before, you have if you have ridden a sitdown/floorless. I have yet to ride one that didn't have it. Raging Bull started rattling around 06. Before that it was glass smooth. It is really noticeable on the downward side of the turning hill over the station. (3rd hill). Batman and Superman do not have the rattle. For whatever reason the inverts are less likely to. The rattle doesn't make the ride horrible, but it certainly decreases the ride quality.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to this at all... maybe just BS or boredom from the people I've talked to... but I've heard some people say that certain parks have experimented with different compound wheels in different temperatures (think of it like summer tires, winter tires). I've heard that soft compound wheels ride smoother and wear less on the track, but wear out too fast in summer, increasing wear, maintenance, and cost... I've heard that summer compounds are harder and run longer/wear better in the summer, but tend to give a rougher ride as the weather changes to cooler weather. Plus these would wear on the track much more in colder weather.

That is true on at least B&M rides. The two types of wheels are polyurethane and nylon. During the summer months, the wheels are all polyurethane which are softer and run slower with a smoother ride. In the spring and fall, some are replaced with nylon which are harder and run faster, but deliver a slightly rougher ride. I don't know about the other rides, but on Bull, just the first two cars would get the nylon wheels during cold months.

Maybe that's why I don't like bull... I don't hold on to the restraint, and I'm not hands in the air... I rest my arm on the darn thing.... Bull tends to shake you around a bit so my hand slides off/around on the restraint.... Since I'm starting to like airtime and high bank turns a lot more maybe I can get the guts to ride bull hands up.... That would be a game changer for me.

Maybe that's why I don't like bull... I don't hold on to the restraint, and I'm not hands in the air... I rest my arm on the darn thing.... Bull tends to shake you around a bit so my hand slides off/around on the restraint.... Since I'm starting to like airtime and high bank turns a lot more maybe I can get the guts to ride bull hands up.... That would be a game changer for me.

It's a good hands up ride, there's no doubt about that.

We didn't notice any rattle or shake today on Raging Bull. We took four runs, each in the back row. Smooth as glass.

It's a good ride, no Nitro or Apollo's Chariot but there's still big air to enjoy on the first drop, an interesting and unusual layout, and pops of air throughout the course. I prefer Diamondback, another ride purportedly infected with B&M rot. There was a little shimmy, but nothing like the headache inducing acute palsy I ran into on Dominator.

Concerning Raging Bull, has that trim always been on the uphill section of hill #3?

Also, Iron Wolf. Togo death machines are bad. This isn't that. Today, IW was't anywhere close to the pile I expected after reading cries and lamentations earlier in this thread and elsewhere.

Great visit today!