TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Locals can tell you how to tackle the park better than I can, my only advice (since it sounds like you've never ridden it) is to ride Raging Bull in the very back row. Not one from the back... the back. It's awesome.

Definitely on my "To Do" list. Been looking forward to riding this coaster for a long time!

Oh, and if anyone has any food recommendations, I'm looking for good places to eat in and near the park. Probably gonna eat somewhere nearby for breakfast, and then for dinner when we leave.

Here's my post regarding dinner:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51125&p=1863667&hilit=timmy#p1863667

Timmy O'Toole's is right across the street from the park.

http://www.timothyotooles.com/gurnee

Excellent beer selection with lots of rare stuff on tap frequently and I've never been disappointed by the food.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/otooles-media/33883/MAIN-MENU-4112018-F-OUTLINED-G.pdf

Hmm, not seeing any dinning options that close to the park.

Huh?

These are basically across the street from the Grand Ave. entrance to the park

Timothy O'Toole's Pub (quite popular in the area for those seeking the pub/eatery atmosphere)

Royal Thai

These are about 1/2 mile West of the Grand Ave. entrance to the park

Hooters

Outback Steakhouse

Olive Garden

Cracker Barrel

Golden Corral (reasonably priced all you can eat buffet)

Culver's

About 2 miles West of the Grand Ave. Entrance in the Gurnee Mills Mall area

Portillo's (a cult favorite chain in the Chicago area for hotdogs and Italian beef, they also have salad offerings)

Rainforest Cafe

Steak 'n Shake

MOD Pizza

Uno Pizzeria

Red Lobster

Five Guys (burgers)

Red Robin (burgers)

Chipotle

About 3 miles West of the Grand Ave Entrance

Giordano's (authentic Chicago pizza)

On the East side of the park, about 1/2 to 1 mile from the Grand Ave Entrance

Primo Italian American Cuisine

Tacos El Norte (quite a popular local Mexican chain)

Stevens' (steakhouse)

And that is just touching the surface, I skipped most of the fast food chains and some smaller places and didn't go out beyond give or take 2 miles except for Giordano's as that was mentioned earlier...

I was planning to go to the park the weekend of September 8th, but the calendar says the park is closed that entire weekend. Does anyone know why?

End of summer change over to set up for fall Fright Fest...

I was planning to go to the park the weekend of September 8th, but the calendar says the park is closed that entire weekend. Does anyone know why?

End of summer change over to set up for fall Fright Fest...

I believe the park is usually closed that weekend due to buy outs also. (It has been in previous years)

I believe the park is usually closed that weekend due to buy outs also. (It has been in previous years)

Yeah, I was going to include that they generally they also have private events that week as well but it slipped my mind as I typed...

^I conquer! Timothy O'Tooles is amazing!

I'm so happy they have a second location in River North

That's the original and flagship location actually.... Spend tons of time down there for soccer matches and general bar shenanigans

And totally recommend either location....

I see the advice has already been taken, but I will second riding Raging Bull in the very back--that's the ticket to an airtime-filled first drop.

Also, I still find it hilarious that their super-special exclusive partnership is with Goodwill. (Amazing Goodwill? lol)

Amazing Goodwill?

Goodwill stores operate as Independent nonprofits that are assigned exclusive 'territories' by Goodwill international, the 'territory' that covers most of the Chicagoland area is under the 'Amazing' namesake...

Survey markers have been spotted at Pictorium's old site!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1634575566659899?view=permalink&id=1724561994327922&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity

[attachment=0]20180702_141105.png[/attachment]

Credit to Joey Munding

Well yea, I would expect them to build something there...

Must be a giga

All that research, and couldn't be bothered to click that link, huh?

Hardly "all that research" I typed that off the top of my head...

You have probably spent an equal or greater amount of time trying to be too clever by half...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their great tips and advice. I'll be making a list of everything, and I'm sure the day will be awesome.

One last question? Sunglasses, do they let you wear them on the coasters if you have a strap? Or should I just plan on ditching them in a pocket everytime?

^They allow sunglasses, and no strap required!

I'd definitely recommend binning them on Joker though. Strap or not, and whether they allow it or not. You will lose them if you get one of the more wild spins.