TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Just pulled into the parking lot and holy cow is it packed. I’ve heard a lot is shut down and everything else is one train. Deep breath. Good thing I love Demon.

A5656B53-C969-4E70-987E-674DC8048E75.thumb.jpeg.3e028a38cab5f98fe6e470842d16dbd2.jpeg

Yup it’s bigger. Not overly interested but I’d like to ride it once at night.

Hometown Fun Machine

Wait, has that always been the name of their Scrambler? How did I not know this? New favorite ride name.

It was originally the Saskatchewan Scrambler, but I agree, the new name is awesome.

New name as of 1977 I believe and it's a good one. I have only ridden a few scramblers, but Hometown Fun Machine seems to run differently. It feels like most of the ride is spent gradually building up to top speed. The other scramblers I've ridden got to top speed much sooner. Maybe it's just me . Still a fun fun ride and the location is nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to hit SFGAm for Mother's Day, and this year I finally made it happen. It was a great day for me. My 11 year old daughter, Molly, is afraid of heights, so not too keen on coasters unfortunately. With the short Mother's Day lines I'd heard so much about, I was able to get on several big coasters I hadn't been on for a while. I waited less than 10 minutes each for Raging Bull and Goliath. I hadn't been on Goliath since 2016. Having only been on twice before, I kinda forgot how much fun it is, even though it's a tad short. It really makes me want to get to Cedar Point!

Again taking advantage of short lines, I got my first spin on Joker this trip! I thought it was fun, but I don't think I'd spend too much time in line for it. 5 minutes was all I had to wait this time. American Eagle was the longest line of the day for us at 20 minutes. I also grabbed rides on Superman, Batman, Viper and Demon, and Little Dipper with Molly. I'm hoping they'll be done painting Whizzer before we go next time.

My daughter likes the spinning flats, so we did multiple rides on Hometown Fun Machine, Lobster and Fiddler's Fling. HTFM really seems to be feeling it's age. It takes forever to get up to speed these days and it feels like they've shortened the cycle. Lobster on the other hand is running great. I liked Orbit, but I'm so glad they decided relocate and keep Lobster. We ended up leaving around 5:00, due to the 3 hour drive home and having school and work today. Next year I'll take the Monday after off. lol

Here are just a few random pics.

20180513_142432.thumb.jpg.b7e8663be15b06de80de5694ecea9753.jpg

Here's the remains of Pictorium from STT

20180513_142621.thumb.jpg.e36f7120b0ee8e7474996489a5224099.jpg

20180513_142743.thumb.jpg.bb91f85715d79ead04fb5db53e7fd183.jpg

A couple random shots from above. Hangover looks pretty tall from this view I think.

20180513_143040.thumb.jpg.dc4c29de0223711cb26a0c29e7934834.jpg

Pictorium from the ground

20180513_143305.thumb.jpg.470e9985ec3aefb05e5e2a0e6a37b606.jpg

Whizzer support poles on the right were recently painted. We saw them priming this area 2 weeks ago when we were at the park.

20180513_144249.thumb.jpg.b1ee49f4cc9f2cd50e990217723ecae9.jpg

I've always enjoyed the area by Whizzer and HTFM

20180513_152424.thumb.jpg.cb2fff931642cd899d2a8a6e115b8ef2.jpg

20180513_152426.thumb.jpg.9ed5a143c63022caf80298db384412b2.jpg

I love Arrow corkscrews, so had to grab these shots.

20180513_161836.thumb.jpg.e937b268b66f2dbaad9bc6f7a2fba6a6.jpg

I was surprised they ended up opening Yankee Clipper and Roaring Rapids.

20180513_162651.thumb.jpg.06e826227e91e3bab43187295da064b4.jpg

I do like the colors they picked for Hangover.

20180513_164441.thumb.jpg.2d288ee0eef2580c336e57cf1ac489f3.jpg

Classic "I visited SFGAm" pic. lol

Got to ride “Mardi Gras Hangover” this past Tuesday, although I had to buy the T-Shirt to do so. Strangely enough I don’t think there were more than 40 people who chose to do so...I was expecting more of a crowd.

The ride is a blast and the hang time is pretty insane! And the ride is long enough to feel like you feel that you have actually ridden something more than a tease. And it “feels” faster than it probably is.

That being said, here are a couple caveats:

The ride still has some bugs to work out, mainly the train repeatedly did not line up with what the operating controls deemed it to be in the “Home” position so that caused some downtime for maintenance personnel to come cycle the ride empty to correct this.

Also, if you are a larger body type, please be aware that even though the seatbelt locks in place to the OTSR- you May Not still be allowed to ride...hopefully they have a Test seat by the entrance...we were delayed more than a few time by this.

If you are not completely trusting of your restraints, this ride will probably terrify you, as I said the hangtime is intense, and there is no safety netting or visual obstruction, so when you are inverted, you really, really feel it....

Overall, I like this addition Way More than the two previous rides on this same footprint (King Chaos, and Powerdive) though I still get a little nostalgic about The Edge before that.

A solid and fun addition! I just hope the maintenance staff is able to correct the couple issues that caused downtime during this preview day.

Nice job Six Flags.....

On a final and unrelated note, the skyline has changed without Pictorium...my guess is new water park expansion for 2019.

I've heard some nightmare stories about lines at this park and just wanted to see what locals think about a visit on a Monday in late June. The money points to a Flash pass not being in the cards, but we'll see. CoasterQueue does not have information on SUF (I've heard these get slow lines) or X-Flight

^Also, the park really empties at night. The last 2 hours of the day are usually great. Sometimes I’ll jet up to the park then for a few spins on my favorites, including some great classic flats.

^Also, the park really empties at night. The last 2 hours of the day are usually great. Sometimes I’ll jet up to the park then for a few spins on my favorites, including some great classic flats.

That's really good to know. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Night rides are so much fun

So yesterday was season pass day for MGH so I spent a couple hours at the park to ride it a couple times along with a few other rides in the time I had at the park. I really enjoyed MGH a lot and while it's not my favorite coaster here it's definitely in my top 5. The only other rides I got on we're BTR, Joker and V2.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

Despite their hate I actually really enjoy super loops. A 100-foot version sounds awesome. Maybe one day I'll make it out to SFGAm.

Unless Magic Mountain puts in a 150-foot version that holds 48 people and calls it their 20th coaster...which I would honestly be totally fine with.

Even CNN has caught onto super loops maybe not being roller coasters.

CNN Link

That's actually hilarious, and kind of amazing in some respects. It looks like they're trying to report on it as if it were an actual issue that we should be concerned about

Also, anyone else find it funny how in the middle of the article they randomly say "Furthermore, the top 10 tallest roller coasters in the world all exceed 300 feet, according to RCDB.com, the online encyclopedia of roller coasters worldwide" for no reason?