TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It's over an hour away from the park and a completely different style of pizza (cracker thin, not deep dish), but I'd be remiss if I don't at least mention the best pizza I've had in Chicago, Vito & Nick's. They're practically a South Side institution, and you can find videos on YouTube showing the place off, including some Food Network clips. That Italian beef pizza is worth a small detour, even if you end up hitting it on your way back home instead of after the park.

It's over an hour away from the park and a completely different style of pizza (cracker thin, not deep dish), but I'd be remiss if I don't at least mention the best pizza I've had in Chicago, Vito & Nick's. They're practically a South Side institution, and you can find videos on YouTube showing the place off, including some Food Network clips. That Italian beef pizza is worth a small detour, even if you end up hitting it on your way back home instead of after the park.

Vito & Nick's is absolutely one of the best, if not THE best, classic chicago thin crust pizza joints.

Their pizza is magical, I only wish they weren't located so far away from me on the deep southwest side.

But they don't do chicago style deep dish, which is what I think our man prozach has a hankering for.

But if you're into obscene amounts of cheese, then go to Giordano's. they put about 5 pounds of cheese into every deep dish pie.

It's overkill in my opinion (I prefer a more balanced pie), but if cheese is your bag, then you should be very, very happy.

I'm a big fan of Giordano's Stuffed (in reasonable portions), but I also think their thin crust is better than Lou Malnati's & Gino's.

Well, the weather looks like it's going to suck for our trip to KI this weekend, so I think we're going to detour to Great America. I haven't been to the park since Goliath's opening. I have a few quick questions:

2) We plan on getting Platinum Flash Passes this Saturday, or will this be a huge waste of money? Also, is Goliath unlimited on the Platinum Flash Pass?

Thanks,

Zach

I got a Platinum FP when I visited SFGAm last summer and Goliath reservations were unlimited. JL:BFM was limited to two reservations on the Platinum FP, but that was the only ride that was limited. So if your goal is to marathon Goliath, Raging Bull, X-Flight, and Batman, you should be good to go.

Right. I'm just worried about buying the passes early and then finding out that every ride is a station wait without the pass. Basically, I'm looking for input on how a Saturday in early May typically is with common crowds. I want the fp, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I've never been to any park on a Saturday in May, so I'm clueless.

I went on a Saturday in May last year (Memorial Day Weekend) and it wasn't too bad. I remember moderate waits for coasters (Highest was maybe 40 minutes, most 15 or 20), but Justice League was 2 hours or so since it had just opened that day. It was also pretty hot that day IIRC. You might luck out since the weather's not the best. I'd wait until you get to the park to decide if you need a PFP or not

The park opens at 1030, so I think I'm going to wait until 12 and call it. If lines are over 20 minutes for the major attractions, I'm going all in. I take 5-6 park trips a year, so I spoil myself on each visit.

The park opens at 1030, so I think I'm going to wait until 12 and call it. If lines are over 20 minutes for the major attractions, I'm going all in. I take 5-6 park trips a year, so I spoil myself on each visit.

If you do get the platinum flash pass, can you confirm that you got double rides this year? I've seen most of the Six Flags websites have removed this from a benefit of the platinum but SFGAm hasn't. I assume their website is accurate, but would love confirmation.

I've read posts online on how Six Flags has changed a few policies this year and everyone has cited the elimination of double rides. I was just assuming this was only at select parks. I plan on spending an entire day at the park for my one visit this year for the first time in my life. I grew up going to the park, worked at the park but don't think I've ever done a whole day. I live in Orlando now but go back to visit family every summer so get one visit. So plan on going all out if double rides are part of the package still.

Eh. I don't get sick on roller coasters very often, except when I do things like double rides.

Good news. We found a malnaties sit down restaurant within ten minutes of our hotel! We're going tonight after the park.

That's really a cool sign. It looks like they went all out with the green and purple color scheme. I like it, it's much more appealing than the entrance to SFDK's joker.

They pretty much just copy/pasted from Gradv

That's really a cool sign. It looks like they went all out with the green and purple color scheme. I like it, it's much more appealing than the entrance to SFDK's joker.

I personally love the SFDK Joker entrance!