TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Hey everyone,

Planning a trip to Chicago at the end of June. What public transportation choices do we have from Downtown Chicago? also, is Uber a viable choice? I have a Gold Season Pass to SFGAdv so I may look into ZipCar as well... Any guidance is appreciated!

I'd look into the Uber, honestly. I have done public transport to Six Flags, and it's a journey. You'll need to take Metra to Waukegan, then transfer to a bus. Metra is similar to LIRR, big passenger trains. It takes over an hour from Chicago to Waukegan, and then about another half hour on the bus. If all goes well, the bus will be waiting for you when you get off the train in Waukegan, but in my experience, delays can and do happen. I left downtown about 4:30 AM to make it to the park by 10:00, and I still just barely made it. So look into that Uber.

I'd look into the Uber, honestly.

I have a similar scenario, planning to Uber from O'Hare to the park and back. So getting out there is no problem, but is anyone able to comment on whether it's a reasonable option to get back again? Am I likely to have trouble getting an Uber pickup around park closing time (10pm)?

Hey everyone,

Planning a trip to Chicago at the end of June. What public transportation choices do we have from Downtown Chicago? also, is Uber a viable choice? I have a Gold Season Pass to SFGAdv so I may look into ZipCar as well... Any guidance is appreciated!

I have a similar scenario, planning to Uber from O'Hare to the park and back. So getting out there is no problem, but is anyone able to comment on whether it's a reasonable option to get back again? Am I likely to have trouble getting an Uber pickup around park closing time (10pm)?

Pace is the suburban public transportation bus and you can take it to the park. This will be your cheapest way there. The trip is about 45 minutes from Rosemont, IL to the park. You can take this bus from the park back to Rosemont, IL. I took this bus once and it worked out well. Go to this page for more information on the route. http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/six_flags_express.asp.

Azza29 - Get on the CTA Blue Line at O'hare and take it to the first stop, which is Rosemont. You will find the Pace bus in the bus terminal when you exit the Rosemont station.

Brassinthegrass - Find the nearest downtown CTA Blue Line station and take it to the Rosemont stop. This is about an hour ride. You will find the Pace bus in the bus terminal when you exit the Rosemont station.

Go to this page for information on the CTA portion of your trip. http://www.transitchicago.com/

If you have any questions then feel free to ask me.

Hey everyone,

Pace is the suburban public transportation bus and you can take it to the park. This will be your cheapest way there. The trip is about 45 minutes from Rosemont, IL to the park. You can take this bus from the park back to Rosemont, IL. I took this bus once and it worked out well. Go to this page for more information on the route. http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/six_flags_express.asp.

Azza29 - Get on the CTA Blue Line at O'hare and take it to the first stop, which is Rosemont. You will find the Pace bus in the bus terminal when you exit the Rosemont station.

Brassinthegrass - Find the nearest downtown CTA Blue Line station and take it to the Rosemont stop. This is about an hour ride. You will find the Pace bus in the bus terminal when you exit the Rosemont station.

Go to this page for information on the CTA portion of your trip. http://www.transitchicago.com/

If you have any questions then feel free to ask me.

These are great options. Like most people in Chicago, I don't have a car otherwise I'd chime in.

Taking the Metra to Waukegan then ubering from there would be a time effective and cost effective trip.

Again, post or PM a week or two in advance. I'd be down to split an uber to the park if I couldn't find a friend to share a ride/go with.

Hey everyone,

I'd look into the Uber, honestly. I have done public transport to Six Flags, and it's a journey. You'll need to take Metra to Waukegan, then transfer to a bus. Metra is similar to LIRR, big passenger trains. It takes over an hour from Chicago to Waukegan, and then about another half hour on the bus. If all goes well, the bus will be waiting for you when you get off the train in Waukegan, but in my experience, delays can and do happen. I left downtown about 4:30 AM to make it to the park by 10:00, and I still just barely made it. So look into that Uber.

To anybody reading do not believe the statement, " I left downtown about 4:30 AM to make it to the park by 10:00, and I still just barely made it. " This statement id ludicrous.

If you take the UPN Metra Line from Oglivie station leaving at 835am you will arrive at Waukegan Station about 955am. The PACE Bus 565 to Six Flags leaves just after 10am. It's about about a 25min bus ride and it drops you off right in front of the park at the shopping plaza. The stop is right in front of Burger King. You then just cross the street to the park and walk down SF Drive. Including the walk you will get to the gate essentially just after the gates open. If you wanted to be early just take the 725am Metra and 565 Bus and then you could kill a bit of time if you want to get something to eat at BK or someone else along Grand Ave.

I assure you, it is completely 100% true. I got on the Red Line subway at Grand station at 4:30. We stopped just before Howard and sat on the tracks for an hour due to a traffic jam created by an electrical problem on the loop track there. Then once I finally got to the platform, I had to wait about 20 minutes for the CTA cops to remove homeless people who were sleeping on the train. I took the purple up to Evanston to switch at Main St. However, due to these delays, by the time I got there, the next northbound train that was stopping at Main St. was 45 minutes later.

Well, turns out there were problems at Ogilvie and the Metra UPN was 20 minutes late even beyond that. I finally made it on the 9:05 Pace bus which dropped me off at that Burger King to give me just enough time to cross the street and get there by 10.

I assure you, it is completely 100% true. I got on the Red Line subway at Grand station at 4:30. We stopped just before Howard and sat on the tracks for an hour due to a traffic jam created by an electrical problem on the loop track there. Then once I finally got to the platform, I had to wait about 20 minutes for the CTA cops to remove homeless people who were sleeping on the train. I took the purple up to Evanston to switch at Main St. However, due to these delays, by the time I got there, the next northbound train that was stopping at Main St. was 45 minutes later.

Well, turns out there were problems at Ogilvie and the Metra UPN was 20 minutes late even beyond that. I finally made it on the 9:05 Pace bus which dropped me off at that Burger King to give me just enough time to cross the street and get there by 10.

Yikes, sorry to hear...no wonder it took you that long. That's a very long and unnecessary way of getting to Great America from downtown..I wish someone could have directed you better. No one should ever take the RedLine/Purple north to Evanston to get to the Metra since there are the main hubs downtown that will save tons of time.

Like I said, it is ludicrous. You just didn't know what the heck you were doing. You instead made it seem the trip was long, complicated, taxing, etc...which would discourage the person you were responding to from using public transport. Leaving downtown at 430 am if you had a clue of what you were doing. you would have made the 540 UP-N, which would have got you to Waukegan Station at 650am. After taking the bus you would have been at SF about 3 hours before the park opens. There also is a train that leaves like 630am which would have gotten you there way early or even the 725am one, the 835am was also an option to arrive tight at gate opening essentially.

Like I said, it is ludicrous. You just didn't know what the heck you were doing. You instead made it seem the trip was long, complicated, taxing, etc...which would discourage the person you were responding to from using public transport. Leaving downtown at 430 am if you had a clue of what you were doing. you would have made the 540 UP-N, which would have got you to Waukegan Station at 650am. After taking the bus you would have been at SF about 3 hours before the park opens. There also is a train that leaves like 630am which would have gotten you there way early or even the 725am one, the 835am was also an option to arrive tight

Goddamn. Pump the brakes a bit, guy. No one is an expert at public trans immediately, expecially coming from a non local.

Mistakes happen and sometimes technology doesn't do the best job either. Clearly no one would have taken that route had they known the results.

Like I said, it is ludicrous. You just didn't know what the heck you were doing. You instead made it seem the trip was long, complicated, taxing, etc...which would discourage the person you were responding to from using public transport. Leaving downtown at 430 am if you had a clue of what you were doing. you would have made the 540 UP-N, which would have got you to Waukegan Station at 650am. After taking the bus you would have been at SF about 3 hours before the park opens. There also is a train that leaves like 630am which would have gotten you there way early or even the 725am one, the 835am was also an option to arrive tight at gate opening essentially.

You're still not banned?

Like I said, it is ludicrous. You just didn't know what the heck you were doing. You instead made it seem the trip was long, complicated, taxing, etc...which would discourage the person you were responding to from using public transport. Leaving downtown at 430 am if you had a clue of what you were doing. you would have made the 540 UP-N, which would have got you to Waukegan Station at 650am. After taking the bus you would have been at SF about 3 hours before the park opens. There also is a train that leaves like 630am which would have gotten you there way early or even the 725am one, the 835am was also an option to arrive tight

Goddamn. Pump the brakes a bit, guy. No one is an expert at public trans immediately, expecially coming from a non local.

Mistakes happen and sometimes technology doesn't do the best job either. Clearly no one would have taken that route had they known the results.

The story sounds like and is utter BS. There is absolutely no reason, even if you don't know Chicago, to leave from downtown to SF at 430am. It doesn't pass the basic BS meter. Second why would any logical person not use google maps or transit chicago if they don't know there way around? Oh wait, the excuse will be they don't have a phone, have no laptop, or can read a map. Btw, if you use Trans Chicago or Googke map or any directions service they will not tell you to go from Grand to SF by taking the purple line up to Evanston. They all will tell you to go to Oglvie Third, none would tell you to leave at 430am ? There are 4 trains that leave after then that all get you to SF by 1030am The guy wanted to turn someone off from public transport by a story that doesn't pass basic logic or any modicum of the BS sniff test.

The story sounds like and is utter BS. There is absolutely no reason, even if you don't know Chicago, to leave from downtown to SF at 430am. It doesn't pass the basic BS meter. Second why would any logical person not use google maps or transit chicago if they don't know there way around? Oh wait, the excuse will be they don't have a phone, have no laptop, or can read a map. Btw, if you use Trans Chicago or Googke map or any directions service they will not tell you to go from Grand to SF by taking the purple line up to Evanston. They all will tell you to go to Oglvie Third, none would tell you to leave at 430am ? There are 4 trains that leave after then that all get you to SF by 1030am The guy wanted to turn someone off from public transport by a story that doesn't pass basic logic or any modicum of the BS sniff test.

Naw, you're just being an @$$hole.

Unlike you I have common sense, the ability to call BS and am not gullible There is no reason and you know it, to leave downtown at 430am to get to SF by 1030am. You also know, people would use one of the many online maps Google maps, Mapquest, or the many smart phone apps when in a new place to find directions. Again, none of them will tell you to go that route and no local who knows anything would either would tell you that's the way to get to Waukegan from Grand. The hotel desk would not tell you to get that way to Waukegan either and they wouldn't tell you to leave at 430am. The story doesn't pass the basic sniff test, b/c it's BS! You can't really be that gullible. The guy just wanted to make it seem like a nightmare to get to SF to discourage the other poster from public transport.

Yeah, total @$$hole for sure....and his follow-up just kept it coming. I think we should all flood him with travel questions when any of us head to the Chicago area, since he's obviously the supreme czar of public transportation.....or maybe just a supreme dick, I'm not sure.

Yeah, I was willing to let him have the last word and just move on, but he just doesn't seem to be able to leave well enough alone. Anyway, here are a few points:

- It was my first time attempting to use public transit in Chicago

- I just went to the closest subway station and figured it out from there

- At the time I didn't own a smartphone

- I chose to get up that early just in case multiple problems happened, that I would be sure to be there on time

- I never claimed, nor do I think, that was the best way to get there. My point was that problems and delays can and do happen.

- I actually really like and support public transit, which is why I was willing to do this so that I didn't have to rent a car at all during my trip. I was staying downtown, and everything else I wanted to do on that trip was downtown.

- I am not an expert on Chicago transit. I am just a guy who a few years ago did exactly what the question asked and figured I had something to contribute.

My god, why does everything have to turn into an argument? Oh, I know, it's the offseason.

Anyway, for the guy who just wanted trip advice, get an Uber. Use transit around Chicago, especially the Ls are great, but take a cab to the park. You'll get there in half the time, even if everything goes right with transit.

If you know you are coming to Great America, make sure you post on here in the couple weeks beforehand. Some of us are very close to O'hare/NW side, and several of us locals on here will be at the park any given day. Good way to make good contacts, too! I've met some nice people on through this forum (and other forums) in the past. A couple people I'd rather forget as well...

I love my car... I'm also open to public transit, but I can't imagine taking it all the way to Great America.

This may sound weird but I rather take public transit then an Uber or Taxi. That is unless said train or bus isnt to crowded! The thing is with taxi's and Ubers you are awkwardly stuck alone with a stranger in a moving vehicle. Taxi's arnt as bad as its more professional and they tend to not talk as much. Uber drivers on the other hand try to seem to make new friends with their passengers from what I heard. Im perfectly happy on a train with a seat to myself(I hate when people i dont know sit next to me....its so awkward especially on those tiny Metra a person seats.i mean who wants to rub arms with some random weirdo..... )and looking out the window or listening to my headphones....My family think im silly for rather taking public transit oppose to an Uber.

^ LOL oh man here we go with the stranger danger talk again. First off - don't assume things about a service if you have never experienced it yourself. I have taken hundreds of taxi rides since I moved out of my folks house almost 20 yrs ago, and probably 3 dozen Uber rides since I downloaded the app two years ago. I also take 3 forms of public transit each and every day. Let me quell your concerns.

Public transit is filthy, smelly, and cheap which means you deal with all types of people. It is the worst of our three choices here. I have 30 years of experience taking it everyday in a major metropolitan city and sit next to/rub elbows with multiple strangers a day. Trust me. I saw a piece of human poop on the subway platform the other day and stepped over a giant pile of vomit on a train last month. The only thing public transit has going for it is the price.

On to taxis and Ubers. In my experience taxi drivers are: more likely to smell bad/not use deodorant, have dirtier cars, are more likely to ask weird/uncomfortable questions/make more frequent attempts at unwanted conversation and definitely more likely to worry me with their driving. Taxis are ABSOLUTELY NOT more professional.

On the flip, Ubers are awesome. The difference is Uber drivers you get to "rate" via the app after your ride. Uber drivers don't want a bad rating. Ive had some really awesome drivers and great conversations. While Ive had some OK experiences with taxi drivers, almost every single Uber ride Ive taken was a positive experience. Only one out of 30+ rides complained the entire time about how he hated being an Uber driver, which in the end was more funny than annoying.

I've had Uber drivers offer to put on whatever music I want (even offering to let me link up my phone with their bluetooth to listen to my own music), ask if the temp in the car was too hot or cold and make the appropriate adjustment, offer up their USB posts to charge my phone (he even had a connector for iPhone or Droid), and one even popped opened his glove box which was filled with gum, candy and snacks and told me to have at it. I took an Uber alone from the Atlanta airport to SFOG and the driver and I spent a half hour talking about the park and which rides he loved the most there.

Uber is awesome. Talking to strangers can go either way, but sometimes you'll meet someone completely awesome that will make your day. And you won't know if you awkwardly ignore them.

^Its not stranger danger so much....its the fact....duck it! I'll admit it! On top of my social anxiety Im also well...lazy! Yes I said it! Im lazy! It may sound silly but conversing with stranger or making small talk takes EFFORT for me....and well I'm just to lazy to take said effort! I rather not be bothered. See I can talk on here fine but then again its just text and not face to face or over a phone. I like to go out and take walks. As pathetic as this sounds Im glad Chicago people arnt friendly! I don't want to deal with unwanted small talk when I just want to relax and enjoy my music. So no Im not worried they are going to rape me or anything crazy but rather they are going to have small talk with me or want to bug me.