TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Complaining about a B&M being rough is stupid (minus of course the stand ups), complaining about an Arrow bring rough is totally reasonable. Your mileage may vary with X2 but I don't think anyone would consider X2 to be a smooth ride. It's very aggressive, which I suppose is part of why people like it but that's false equivelance. If you complain about rattle on Gatekeeper or Fury (2 of the smoothest coasters in existence) then you're a complete bitch. With more aggressive rides like standup coasters, Arrow and older Vekoma coasters and a lot of older wood coasters different riders are always going to have different opinions based on body type and personal preference.

B&Ms, new and old, are in no way rough. The headbanging in corkscrews, zero g rolls, and quick transitions are completely unavoidable on an OTSR coaster with corkscrews regardless of who builds it.

Sounds like Coasterbill is just a soft person who can't handle a bit of the Arrow shakes. X2 was fantastic for me in the back row, and being slightly rough is unavoidable with such massive winged trains.. You want rough? American Eagle, blue side, back row; You'll be jackhammering side to side so much that Mean Streak was a massage chair in comparison.

^^ I don't think the any rows on the blue side are that rough especially the back rows. Sure the blue side might not be as smooth as the red side but it's no way even close to Mean Streak level and I would know because I've been riding Eagle for more than 10 years. I'll admit the blue side was way better backwards than forwards. That back seat ride back then was easily the best seat on the blue side.

You're still on this? You seem to be way too concerned with my opinion of X2. If you like the ride then more power to you but calling any Arrow not named Tenessee Tornado rough is a pretty common opinion. Very few people will tell you that X2 is a smooth ride. Again, it's aggressive nature might be part of why some people like it but it's an aggressive ride.

Also, while everyone is different I have to say that I've never encountered anyone who rode Mean Streak using that trick and still found it rough. It's actually incredible simple and it works for lot of other rough coasters running PTC's too (like Wild Beast or the Lake Compounce Wildcat for example).

Again, trying to draw parallels between saying a modern B&M is rough and saying an Arrow is rough is a stretch, but nobody is forcing you to agree with me so I don't know why you're still on this.

Because I'm a bit of a thrill junkie beyond the usual coaster enthusiast, I prefer a major park to have at least one rough woodie and one quite rough steel coaster. At Great America, AE blue takes the cake, and while maintenance has done an incredible job of making the Demon actually smoother in the past 5 years, I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

You're still on this? You seem to be way too concerned with my opinion of X2. If you like the ride then more power to you but calling any Arrow not named Tenessee Tornado rough is a pretty common opinion. Very few people will tell you that X2 is a smooth ride. Again, it's aggressive nature might be part of why some people like it but it's an aggressive ride.

Also, while everyone is different I have to say that I've never encountered anyone who rode Mean Streak using that trick and still found it rough. It's actually incredible simple and it works for lot of other rough coasters running PTC's too (like Wild Beast or the Lake Compounce Wildcat for example).

Again, trying to draw parallels between saying a modern B&M is rough and saying an Arrow is rough is a stretch, but nobody is forcing you to agree with me so I don't know why you're still on this.

I just find it bemusing that you're extremely fervent in your opinions of rides you dislike...yet when others express their disdain for something and you don't agree, you jump all over them with snide and/or condescending comments. I'm not necessarily concerned with your opinion of X2 per se, but you talk about your dislike of the ride on these boards ad nauseam, so I used it as an example.

I just find it bemusing that you're extremely fervent in your opinions of rides you dislike...yet when others express their disdain for something and you don't agree, you jump all over them with snide and/or condescending comments. I'm not necessarily concerned with your opinion of X2 per se, but you talk about your dislike of the ride on these boards ad nauseam, so I used it as an example.

I don't agree with this at all, but again it seems like you're being confrontational for absolutely no reason and seeking out an argument and I'm not interested in having one. It also seems like you're taking my posts (which in many cases are going for a laugh) way too seriously. I already addressed all of this and to respond again would just be going around in circles even more.

I gave my opinion of X2 because I was directly asked for it. I'm not condescending about people's opinions unless they talk about B&M rattle and I'll continue to laugh at everyone that does. We're talking about an Arrow. Again, it's apples and oranges and were going around in circles. Let's agree to disagree (even though I have no idea where you came from or why you're so obsessed with this). You invented this argument out of nowhere when nobody was arguing with you (or talking to you period) and seem insistent on keeping it going.

Stop taking things so seriously. I think people who complain about B&M rattle are bitches but I freely admit to being a complete bitch in regards to (for example) Skyrush (and Boldikus will happily point that out all the time of I ever start to forget what a complete bitch I am ). I don't get all worked up about it, I just have fun with it. Just laugh about it and stop over analyzing things and taking everything too seriously. I'm here to have fun not have huge multi-page arguments.

I don't agree with this at all, but again it seems like you're being confrontational for absolutely no reason and seeking out an argument and I'm not interested in having one. It also seems like you're taking my posts (which in many cases are going for a laugh) way too seriously. I already addressed all of this and to respond again would just be going around in circles even more.

I gave my opinion of X2 because I was directly asked for it. I'm not condescending about people's opinions unless they talk about B&M rattle and I'll continue to laugh at everyone that does. We're talking about an Arrow. Again, it's apples and oranges and were going around in circles. Let's agree to disagree (even though I have no idea where you came from or why you're so obsessed with this). You invented this argument out of nowhere when nobody was arguing with you (or talking to you period) and seem insistent on keeping it going.

Stop taking things so seriously. I think people who complain about B&M rattle are bitches but I freely admit to being a complete bitch in regards to (for example) Skyrush (and Boldikus will happily point that out all the time of I ever start to forget what a complete bitch I am ). I don't get all worked up about it, I just have fun with it. Just laugh about it and stop over analyzing things and taking everything too seriously. I'm here to have fun not have huge multi-page arguments.

You would've been a great lawyer is all I'll say, great skills at twisting things

Made my first visit to Great America last night. I was really pleasantly surprised! Didn't get to do everything I wanted or really experience the park because the park was only open for 6 hours, but what I did get to was excellent.

Goliath 2x (very back)

Raging Bull 1x (very back)

American Eagle 1x

Viper 1x

Whizzer 1x

Batman 1x

King Chaos 1x

Justice League 1x

Goliath was my first RMC and I was really impressed. I intentionally held my expectations in the middle knowing the "good but not great" reviews and that's the way to go. It's no El Toro, but damn. Probably just outside my top 5.

Raging Bull's first drop in the last row is ridiculous. I was very, very not stapled (3-4 inches between the lapbar and my thighs) and I was well above my seat the entire drop. The only first drops I can think of that I like more are El Toro and *maybe* I-305. The rest of the ride was really fun even with the super obnoxious trim. Liked Goliath a tad more but both exceeded expectations.

That's definitely the way to go with RB, as much airtime as possible in the back row, I just wish I had thinner legs to really pop out. Goliath really would only need 2 more ejector airtime hills to have equaled or beat El Toro in terms of airtime intensity, but Six Flags now refuses to build any coaster longer than 45 or 50 seconds of action at this park.

Yesterday was a great day to go, and one of the better days I've had at this park in quite a while. I was especially impressed with how none of the crews jammed the restraints down on you (especially Raging Bull and Batman). I'm really coming around to Wing Coasters; I haven't gotten on Thunderbird yet, but I think X-Flight is the best of the rest of the stateside examples. The weather appeared to be conducive towards the B&M's tearing it up (sans Superman, which is incapable of this, so we passed), and we took two spins on Raging Bull and a lap on the other two. Bull is usually a one trick pony with a very good trick, but there were some hints of what a ride it could be scattered throughout the course. Also caught a lap on Goliath, American Eagle (Red), Giant Drop, and River Rocker for some reason.

Great times- definitely the better of my two visits so far this year, and not at all a let down just a few weeks after our annual trip out to Cedar Point. Looking forward to that last weekend of operation in November.

I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

Me too, but now I just punch myself in the side of the head while I'm riding so that I can be reminded of the good ol' days.

I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

Me too, but now I just punch myself in the side of the head while I'm riding so that I can be reminded of the good ol' days.

You're lucky... Seems like some people need to get into chains, whips, hot candle wax, ect. to get the job done it seems

Anyone think a Demon re-furb for 2017 is possible? Blue Hawk wasn't announced until March I think

I'd be surprised. Blue Hawk seems to have more of a thrilling and at least more modern feel to it than Demon. Seems like there was more to salvage with a coaster like Blue Hawk. Just my .02.

It would be nice to some of the old coat hangers in the chain get the new Vekoma trains. Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow? Also, with this we would no longer need to worry about being defenseless from bracing ourselves while using VR on Demon and the Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis.

Jokes on you fools who try VR

It would be nice to some of the old coat hangers in the chain get the new Vekoma trains. Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow? Also, with this we would no longer need to worry about being defenseless from bracing ourselves while using VR on Demon and the Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis.

Jokes on you fools who try VR

There's nothing wrong with Demon, it doesn't need to be tinkered with. Hopefully it stays just the way it is, sans ridiculous VR.

^^You are implying you wouldn't like to make it better?

I might have made my post misleading. The negativity of my post mostly comes from my negativity towards the Ninja; I have not ridden Demon in a while. Still, either ride would benefit from new trains (if this is even possible).

Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow?

While I don't know of any specific examples, I would think it's perfectly possible considering how many Vekoma's have been running with Arrow trains. It would be great to see the new Vekoma trains be added to more rides, the one experience I had with these new trains on a boomerang was really great.