TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

You waited 30 min with a gold pass on a weekday!!??

I'd believe it. I sound like a grumpy old man but operations at SFGAm just ain't what they used to be.

Don't forget to budget a solid hour to stand in line for your slice of pizza as you battle all the dining pass holders as well!

I don't like to start "this park vs. that park" threads but after spending 2 1/2 days at Cedar Point (including Coastermania) I can safely say that ride operations at SFGAm just plain suck this year. They've always been somewhat better at CP but it's just a night and day difference now. Not even close. They don't compromise on safety at CP but the ride ops do hurry, they're efficient and friendly and they seem to be fully staffed which helps also. End of rant from a "somewhat" grumpy old man.

I ended up hitting 31 rides including seven on the ever-elusive Goliath (I say that as it routinely has wait times of an hour or more)

Wow, that is amazing!!!! Truly as it's not easily done usually!

You waited 30 min with a gold pass on a weekday!!??

Sadly, yes. Had our first trip to Cedar Point last summer and loved it, longest wait time was maybe 40 minutes. A wait of 40 minutes in the summer at SFGAM is unheard of in the summer (at least when I've gone).

Hey friends! I'm trying to stop by the park sometime this weekend and I've never been... hell this will be my 1st Six Flags. Any advice? Must rides? Hidden gems? Thanks!

-Both Demon and Raging Bull have great first drops that are best taken in the last row.

-Find a bench and go plank on it for about 2 minutes instead of riding S:UF.

-I'd look to hit Goliath first just in case it goes down for the day (not unheard of). You'll also avoid the purgatory-esque line it it typically gets.

I apologize if this has been discussed, but is JLBFM an exact clone to the SFOT/SFStL versions? Or are there some differences?

I've only been on the SFGAm one, but I know I read that they made some improvements to the new version this year, I'm just not sure what they are...

^From what I have read, a Lex Luthor scene is enhanced and there is more motion with the cars, but honestly, after riding it at both StL last year and SFGAm this week, they seemed almost identical to me, but that is fine, as it is an awesome ride and I am glad it came here! It seems to be running much more reliably here than in StL, too, which is a big difference.

idk about SFGAm's, but I remember the SFStL one being a lot shorter and less immersive than SFOT's.

What does this even mean? The track length is identical except one of the park's has a longer station (I forget which). Not sure how it could be less immersive either? I mean they're almost exactly the same.

Anyways...

SFSTL's reliability seems to have gone up as I believe it's been upgraded. Hopefully SFGAm's is able to pump people through because your park is always packed. I can't imagine what the lines are gonna look like.

My guess is that Samsung is paying $Texas for the advertisement. The GP eats this up, so Six Flags is putting this on main attractions now since it's not a total failure. Yea, capacity sucks, but not much can be done there. Samsung wants their name front and center.

Am I the only one who thinks this VR stuff needs to stop? I rode DDD with VR and it wasn't really too awesome. It just fell out of sync a lot and made for a disorienting experience that was not enjoyable. Haven't ridden it again since and I refuse to wait hour and hours for it. I guess it has a place, but between this and Superman The Ride getting VR, I think six flags should stop butchering flagship attractions. I think VR could be used to enhance sub par coasters, but I don't think it's a good fit for big awesome flagship hyper coasters.

I haven't experienced it yet, so it's a little out of place for me to actually judge, but I must admit I am not thrilled with the trend. When I ride a roller coaster, I want to see the track, the scenery, and feel like I'm riding a coaster - not experiencing some other event (and if it's out of sync, that's even worse!)

Am I the only one who thinks this VR stuff needs to stop? I rode DDD with VR and it wasn't really too awesome. It just fell out of sync a lot and made for a disorienting experience that was not enjoyable. Haven't ridden it again since and I refuse to wait hour and hours for it. I guess it has a place, but between this and Superman The Ride getting VR, I think six flags should stop butchering flagship attractions. I think VR could be used to enhance sub par coasters, but I don't think it's a good fit for big awesome flagship hyper coasters.

Like I said earlier, it's Samsung driving this. By putting it on a flagship coaster, it puts more eyes on their product. As an advertiser, would you want your product on a ride that puts 1 million people through the que per year or one that does 450k?

Like I said earlier, it's Samsung driving this. By putting it on a flagship coaster, it puts more eyes on their product. As an advertiser, would you want your product on a ride that puts 1 million people through the que per year or one that does 450k?

I understand that. I just hope this trend turns into a PR nightmare honestly. That's the only way I see it stopping. If it doesn't stop we might see parks starting to double down on the VR and so on and so on.

My guess is that Samsung is paying $Texas for the advertisement. The GP eats this up, so Six Flags is putting this on main attractions now since it's not a total failure. Yea, capacity sucks, but not much can be done there. Samsung wants their name front and center.

Why assume that? It's a readily marketable attraction, Six Flags doesn't need any additional justification to add this and attract customers.

I understand that, but why did SFSTL put VR on their worst coaster, Ninja, then? Put it on Viper here or some other ride that is good, but does not attract huge lines.

Why assume that? It's a readily marketable attraction, Six Flags doesn't need any additional justification to add this and attract customers.

For Six Flags? No, this doesn't add to their customer base really. But for Samsung, it puts their product in front of 1 million people instead of say 450-500k if this was installed on Demon. That is the factor that is driving this. It's a collaboration between Samsung AND Six Flags. Both sides want to benefit. This is where Samsung is getting their benefit.

Samsung is the one who pushed for this to be used on marquee attractions like Bull and Superman in all likelihood.