TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

This is life in Illinois. We're everything that's wrong with California, without the view.

Posted Images

The amount of awesome that would be them ordering up a new age Sky Whirl would be off the charts. I've oft times wondered what Intamin/whomever would do, with today's technology, if asked to build a triple wheel?

Glad to hear that those two areas are being spruced up, and that a few of the kiddie rides are coming back (I guess that's what'll be going in the ropes course's old spot...?

Will be fun to see just how detailed they get - I have some faith that we'll be surprised with some of the attention to detail.

Join Six Flags Great America as we celebrate 40 seasons of thrills in 2015, honoring the park’s history and applauding its growth. This season will see many new projects and events throughout the park. Namely the return of classic kiddie rides, a weekly event highlighting one of our world-class rides, and the refreshing of the Carousel Plaza and Hometown Square areas of the park.

Great America opened in 1976 in honor of the bi-centennial and to celebrate rich American history. Over the years, Six Flags Great America has evolved greatly, striving to create lasting memories for families.

From its conception in the 70s through today, Six Flags Great America has always pushed the envelope in thrills, entertainment and innovation. This park has seen 40 incredible seasons providing memories for millions of families. These memories live on for generations to return and pass on to their children. Join us in 2015, as we commemorate our 40 seasons at Six Flags Great America.

40th season celebration

Complete refresh of the Carousel Plaza and Hometown Square sections

Coaster celebrations

In-park festivities and weekly events

Restoration of three original chiildren's rides

Tots Livery Surrey Carriages

Red Baron Airplanes

Lady Bugs

Six Flags Great America today includes:

80 rides, slides and attractions

100 acres of fun

20-acre water park

Home to Goliath, the world's tallest, steepest and fastest wooden roller coaster!

40seasonslogo.thumb.jpg.e70bf456154f8765e9a1e063e8af8a0a.jpg

Glad to hear that those two areas are being spruced up, and that a few of the kiddie rides are coming back (I guess that's what'll be going in the ropes course's old spot...?

They haven't officially said this (maybe at the event today?) but it makes massive amounts of sense for them to be going in the old Hometown Park area (where I believe they were originally) - It's covered up now by a basketball game, but you can see from overhead maps that all the ride pads are still there. And they keep going on and on about Hometown Square, which is where those rides would be, so it doesn't make any sense to put them in County Fair.

I rode the Red Baron and the Lady Bugs as a kid. It's nice to see these come back. I'm happy the announcement wasn't for Ignite 2: Electric Boogaloo. Them saving money at this park can only (hopefully) mean something big in 2016. Let's hope for an RMC retooling of the Anerican Eagle!

Yeah, it really isn't much, but the park did just get Goliath, so this event is perfect for the park. Bringing back some of the original rides from the park will bring back some charm from Great America's early years, and I don't think adding charm to a park is a bad thing at all.

What type of crowds should I expect during weekends in September?

Well, first thing to keep in mind is that they're only open the 6th and 7th, then they're closed until Fright Fest starts on the 27th. In my past experience, that last weekend of normal operation is usually pretty dead (at least compared to Fright Fest). I would expect the first weekend of Fright Fest to probably be busier, but less crowded than later in Fright Fest would be.

This is good to know. For those attending in October, it is NUTS the Sunday before Columbus Day. Most rides were over 2 hour waits. I think Raging Bull was at least a 3 hour wait. We had the Gold Flash Pass and still had over 1 hour waits for most rides.

I think its nice that they're taking a break from all that thrill ride action. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those justice league dark rides went in in 2016 or a skyscreamer, but Its nice that they're gonna have a nice relaxing off year, much in the style of Kings Dominion now. Although, sorry SFGAm, KD had the idea first!

I think its nice that they're taking a break from all that thrill ride action. It wouldn't surprise me if one of those justice league dark rides went in in 2016 or a skyscreamer, but Its nice that they're gonna have a nice relaxing off year, much in the style of Kings Dominion now. Although, sorry SFGAm, KD had the idea first!

I get what you're saying, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that Kings Dominion invented the off-year (with few small bonuses) in 2014.

Anybody else curious what will happen to te entrance? Just recently they replaced the victorian ticket buildings with really ugly knock offs. Hopefully theyll restore the old ticket booths or change some of the architecture and layouts of the gift shops, RR's, etc. Its anyones guess because its a large enough renovation that it warrants a press release, but it doesnt appear as big of a deal as an extended midway, main st, type deal. Nor are we seeing concept art of a contemporary entrance remodel, like with cedar fair parks recently.

Anybody else curious what will happen to te entrance? Just recently they replaced the victorian ticket buildings with really ugly knock offs. Hopefully theyll restore the old ticket booths or change some of the architecture and layouts of the gift shops, RR's, etc. Its anyones guess because its a large enough renovation that it warrants a press release, but it doesnt appear as big of a deal as an extended midway, main st, type deal. Nor are we seeing concept art of a contemporary entrance remodel, like with cedar fair parks recently.

Well, the press release wasn't just for the entrance, it was for the whole project. But here's what the webpage says: "Completely refresh the Carousel Plaza and Hometown Square sections of the park bringing back a nostalgic and classic feel to these signature territories" and "We’ll refresh these two popular and most-traveled areas with brighter colors, new paint, beautiful landscaping, and additional areas to rest and relax, as well as make updates to your favorite rides in the areas." So, I don't think they're really doing a whole remodel as much as they're going to paint and plant some more trees and put in some benches.

I don't see that happening. The entrance remodel was made to make the experience of getting into the park as smooth as possible. (Even though that biometrics-thing for the season passholders didn't work out very well...)

Them saving money at this park can only (hopefully) mean something big in 2016. Let's hope for an RMC retooling of the Anerican Eagle!

Please oh please oh please...

If they're celebrating a new ride every week, I can see them finishing out 2015 with American Eagle and urging riders to "get in their last rides."

With the removal of the ropes course, you have to assume "something" is going in there...right? Or is this something as simple as an outside vendor's contract running out (I don't know if this upcharge was a Six Flags owned operation or something an outside vendor was running).

Not sure about the vendor thing, but I don't see a new ride going in there. That's kind of a small-ish area to cram even a flat kiddie ride in.

The amount of awesome that would be them ordering up a new age Sky Whirl would be off the charts. I've oft times wondered what Intamin/whomever would do, with today's technology, if asked to build a triple wheel?

I never once liked the SkyWhirl as a kid. Those cage-buckets swayed in the sky and creaked too much for my liking. Scared the daylights out of me. But if a new company could recreate it and make it...I dunno....not so sway-y or creak-y, I might like it.

With all the announcements of other parks getting super loop rides, I was surprised SF Great America didn't get in on that. They could've "brought back" the Tidal Wave for the nostalgia kick. (But A--they just got Goliath, save money, and B--where would they put it? Not where it used to be, for sure.)

Am I seeing that right on their calendar that from Sept 8 through September 26, their closed?!!! What major amusement park is closed most of Septemeber? Why aren't the weekends at least open? It makes absolutely zero sense to me. I'm floored.

September is when kids go back to school, and they'd lose revenue if they were open during the off-season. But they bring in more business on weekends in October during Fright Fest.

A few things...

--Do they even operate the railway train anymore? I went three times this summer and twice last summer, and I did not see the railway train operate once.

--What's this I heard about possibly turning the Pictorium into a park museum of sorts? Has anyone else heard this rumor?

--Does anyone know if California's Great America is doing something for THEIR 40th this year?