TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm banking on some non-existent wait times this evening for my first time back here since late 2012. There's no way I could let a 65°F day in early August pass without making some sort of effort to finally swing in for a few laps on something. I heard through the grapevine that there's a new ride this year, so I look forward to being able to verify this for myself.

Howdy Everybody,

I visited SFGAm last Tuesday for the very first time and I know it seems lately that everyone who has been there for their first time have been having bad experiences, so i wanted to share mine since i honestly had a really good one. I guess it is just Hit or Miss. First off, I did splurge for the Platinum Flash Pass and it was well worth it. What they don't tell you that I didn't realize is yes you do get to use it on Goliath but only twice. SO I did that first thing and was a little mad when i got off the second time and no longer saw it on my Q-bot. If I would have known I would have saved it for my very last ride of the day. That being said Goliath was a 3 hr wait all day long so waiting 20 minutes for 2 rides instead of 6 hours was still awesome. I understand this though; I mean if it was unlimited, I wouldn't have left. 10am-9pm only riding Goliath, that's worth an entire day’s worth of pay

SO let me just take a moment to say NTAG and IRAT are wonderful rides, NTAG edges IRAT due to the length IMO, but IRAT's barrel roll was my favorite inversion because of how effortlessly it feels. That being said, Holy Toledo GOLIATH IS AMAZING!!!! I mean I excepted it to be a good ride but come on, it’s amazing. I'm sure we all feel the same way about it so I don't need to break the ride down and talk about the individual part but I do want to talk about the zero-g stall. Who ever said "Hey, how about we just stop the inversion mid-way through for a second or 2," is an absolute genius. That is hands down the best element I have ever felt. I truly can't find the correct words to express the awesomeness of it. I'm so sorry guys but, IMO; it's better than Outlaw Run. Yes, nothing currently beats Outlaw's double roll at the end but all in all I like Goliath more. I've ridden both in the front and back and Goliath just wins for me. I got to agree with someone a page or 2 back. 10,000/10 is my rating.

Next I would like to review Raging Bull. Ok first off I am biased, Titan at SFOT has been my number 1 sine I rode it over 10 years ago as a young fella. I seem to compare all Hypers somehow to it which really isn't fair because something like Nitro is completely different then it. I was able to ride Nitro at Great Adventure, Intimidator at Carowinds, and Goliath at SFOG last year and honestly, I just didn't find them amazing. Where I still rank Titan as a 10, IMO, these 3 ranged between a 6-8.5, Nitro was the best but really just because of its beautiful location. I honestly felt like I was let down on them and worried that all B&M Hypers were like this. Boy was I wrong. I got to ride Raging Bull and Diamondback at KI this year and both are a respective 9.5 and 9. It restored my faith in these rides. Raging bull had everything I think a hyper should have. Great first drop followed by great airtime hills and good banked turn around, then a section of low flying turns. It had airtime, forces, speed and was just great. I am one of those that prefer something like this or titan as opposed to out and back rides like Diamondback or Nitro. This was a great ride and I have to give Six Flags a push up because that was the first time I have ever seen a 3 train operation at a Six Flags theme park. When I rode Nitro last year it was only 2 trains which really surprised me. Also they weren't even letting them stack, before the train even hit the MCBR the next one was out of the station. I have read the recent horror stories at this park but I was impressed with this, maybe its the norm but being used to SFOT, I have never in 20+ visits seen all 3 going on titan. Btw I did stick my feet out and almost got them crushed because I forgot all together about the Pre-drop, lol. 9.5/10

Ok, I'm at work currently so I will only in-dept review one more ride. X-Flight was my very first wing rider. I had some expectations but really did not think it would be as good as it was. It really surprised me. Its smooth, fluid, and fun. Yes, IMO, B&M seems to no longer be throwing force in their rides in exchange for fluidity. Case in point is Banshee and the exceptions would be the Pretzel loop for flying coasters. I rode both sides and can't really confirm which I liked more for the first drop. Both were great but I think the right side was better, maybe just because I rode that in the front row. The first time I even had to pull my hands down cause I thought they would hit during the Keyhole. All in all it was a really great ride and if that's what SFOT gets in the shopping center near Batman then I will be 100% contempt, though I'd still prefer a mega looper or Dive Coaster. 9/10

Everything else:

Superman: Honestly, these just don't do anything for me, thrilling for the GP but I just don't like them, I think I just don't like flying coaster in general. 6/10

V2: Fun ride, doesn't stall like the one at Dorney but whatever. Just what I thought it would be. 7/10

Batman: What can I say that hasn't been said? These are great rides; I just wish this wasn't my 8th clone. Cedar Fair puts a different inverted at their parks, why couldn't six flags? Nonetheless they are still very solid, fun rides. 7.5/10, It would be higher but once again this is my 8th clone.

The Dark Knight: Had no idea what was going on, Left, Right, Left, and Right. This thing whips you around. Fun Family stuff but I wouldn't care to re ride. 6/10

Whizzer: For an old ride it runs great. Seats were comfy and all in all pretty solid. 6/10

Viper: Well I honestly am giving this a higher rating than it should just because it Reminds me of The Texas Cyclone. That being said it was still a good ride. 8.5/10

Demon: Corkscrews hurt, restraints hurt, loops were fun though and it had a good staff running it. Mixed feelings on this arrow looper. 5.5/10

Screaming Eagle: Rode both sides, was very happy that they were racing. Good ride though don't get the helix half way through because there is no way one side would ever win the race unless it left way before the other. Still for being as old as it was it was decently smooth. 7.5/10

The platinum Pass was well worth it, the park got very busy and everything was between 40 min-3 hour wait so if I didn't get it there was no way I could have ridden everything. I guess I got pretty lucky because I really don't have any quarrel about the park. Let me leave you with a couple photos I took.

Thanks for reading, below is some of the pictures I took.

-Hriscay

IMG_8730.thumb.JPG.0cfd2e6512d5f8a1a44d6e3668f5192f.JPG

X-Flight's Layout. Great Ride

IMG_8733.thumb.JPG.3ddb26f2aa7ceed879481611e5353754.JPG

TAKE THE HOLE!! Can this be a new saying?

IMG_8746.thumb.JPG.575f8770fb004fa95ddcaeea4ebae5d5.JPG

IMG_8757.thumb.JPG.98c0472a1295d2e8de8e795e3688dc87.JPG

Just about the most of Goliath I could get in one shot.

IMG_8760.thumb.JPG.20d71ba09e0a2740b03447cbcfa674c2.JPG

Going Up

IMG_8761.thumb.JPG.1dd4fa3d9e083f0f7061f003af03bf1c.JPG

Going Down!

IMG_8762.thumb.JPG.c3a59f4b3b29864d21f4fd20a6ff4c3c.JPG

Turn Us Around!

IMG_8763.thumb.JPG.6df623385638ece53641ed4f1dad9eae.JPG

Lets go Upside-Down!!

IMG_8767.thumb.JPG.08e9a66d06d834771647d39a1f485371.JPG

Perfection, Enough said!

IMG_8777.thumb.JPG.7cf2f4e39ff9ea48f1dd197061b96f83.JPG

This is what Astroworld could have looked like. I know they were thinking about a Hyper.

IMG_8779.thumb.JPG.2c13ceb39730a233a1136b59bdd3490b.JPG

Beautiful Sunset for a Wonderful day.

Does anyone know what's going on with Goliath? There saying it's not opening today. Also this is my first time here and I must say I've never seen crowds like this at a park..

Is there an event going on? I was planning on going to the park tomorrow, but if Goliath is down, I might not, especially if there are large crowds expected. Great America has been packed on all my visits this year, and with the decline in service, it can get very unpleasant to visit.

I swung by briefly yesterday to finally redeem a season pass and hopefully see what Goliath is all about. I shot myself in the foot a bit by assuming the park was still operating late, so as we made our way past the gates at around 7, they were informing people that Goliath's line was closed for the day. Oh well. We ended up getting 2 laps on the always-excellent Batman before continuing down the path to get a closer look at Goliath. It looks great- I wasn't overwhelmed with the enormity of the structure, but that's probably because seemingly every captioned photo I've come across online made it a point to emphasize that pictures don't do it justice. I look forward to coming back later in the month when more kidlets are back in school and the weather is cooler.

We decided to swing by X-Flight since it was on the way to Raging Bull, and the line was dwindling. I've taken >5 laps on this, and those were all in 2012. It was fun, just as I remember, but nothing thrilling. The legendary rattle that I keep reading about continues to elude me. I think Wing Coasters provide a very similar experience to Dive Machines, sans the vertical drop.

It was about 5 minutes until close by the time we were through with X-Flight, so rather than sprint to Raging Bull and risk being assigned to a row other than row 9 due to the "limited number of trains being sent out" thing, I strolled to Demon for a great ride in the last row. Until I finally get to sample the new RMC roaming in Iron Wolf's old lot, the first drop on Demon in the last row remains the second best place in the park to get ejector after row 9 on Raging Bull's first drop. I really hope this ride stays put for a while yet.

Guess what brand new woodie didn't open with the park today... AGAIN? A security said this happens every morning with Goliath.

On a side note, what happened to X-Flights special effects? It has no mist or splash fountains anymore.

I don't believe that demon will be going anywhere for a while. However, I do believe the Pictorium will be on its way out very soon. I would love for the big box to be turned into a huge interactive dark ride! Or could it be another Mack-in-the-box?

The demon probably isn't leaving, but why did they take us to the ampitheatre if nothing is going on there significant next year?? Kinda pointless.
I think that they have some sort of plan with this "choose your path" thing. I guess we will see what happens. 2 weeks until announcement day!