TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Alright... I still need to get on goliath and need to figure out time to go now. Now that more people have gone. Larger riders... If I cleared Top Thrill and MF yesterday can I get on Goliath? Or should I wait and diet. I am losing weight either way. I don't want to waste a drive. Sometimes I think I am 25 and can drive 4 hrs to a park go all day and then drive 4 hrs home, but I can't anymore. 34 is different, I feel young and ready to go, but at the end of the day I am done and need to get a hotel I found out.

The seatbelt on Millennium Force was very tight on me when I went 3 years ago. I think I've actually gained a little more since then (although I've also gotten a tad taller) and made it on both Outlaw Run and Goliath with room to spare this year. I can't make any guarantees, but I saw some very heavy people ride Goliath yesterday.

Cool to know. I never have many issues, except Cedar Point. I had to make a decision the night before Goliath opening and bailed because of high chance of thunder. However in the morning it was clear. Made out like a bandit at CP though as all the rides were pretty much walk on. I rode Gatekeeper 5 times in an hour. I couldn't get on Mantis though due to size. Got on everything else. Never had an issue anywhere else. Kings island this year didn't have a single issue.thanks for the info.

Last time I was in Gurnee no issues either.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

This is life in Illinois. We're everything that's wrong with California, without the view.

Not even funny, man, not even funny.

Posted Images

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80553658/

Cool review by Chicago Tribune with some interesting bits of information in it, like that Great America had RMC sign a non-compete clause so that they couldnt produce a taller faster steeper wooden coaster that would unthrown Goliath for a specified number of years.

Im working on a review but in the meantime, lets play a game and get this convo rolling. Lets call it "overheard at Media Day" or "leaks from media day." If you overheard something interesting and informative we havent heard yet while at media day, please share. If you had a great conversation / interview/ picked the brain of any RMC designers or leadership, please spill the beans! I dont expect to hear something that hasnt been announced-like a colossus story. But i think we would all appreciate any interesting facts regarding the designers, the ride, the design process, the elements, inspiration, engineering, etc.

Here's one. Very Screamscape worthy. I was waiting in line with a high up member of the maintenance staff yesterday. He did a bunch of the electrical work on Goliath and rode it before everyone else, does ride maintenance, etc. He was talking to his wife and kids about the building of the ride. His (nearly) exact quote was "The Eagle's next. First we got Goliath then we have these guys redo the Eagle. It's a major investment but that was the long term goal."

Now, why maintenance personnel would have access to the long term development strategy of the park is beyond me, but within organizations people talk and it's actual conversations with actual employees that can create a change in the organization/give the organization direction. We don't often get the chance to hear the back-door musings of the park personnel and it was funny to hear him say this.

I'm one those people who thinks that all American Eagle needs is some re-tracking and new paint. With that said, simply re-tracking the ride and spending a ton of money on new paint won't necessarily draw in more guests to the ride. I have noticed a decline in attendance for the ride since I first started riding it over a decade ago. SFGAm is better off investing in I-Box track for the ride, repainting it, and adding new elements (such as an inversion or two to each side) with the I-box track so they can market it as a new ride instead of just spending millions to re-track it and repaint it only to see a slight increase in attendance if that.

I could see an iron horse treatment coming to Eagle for the park's 40th anniversary in 2016 or sometime after that for a few reasons. The first one being what I said in the first paragraph. If they're going to spend millions to redo the ride, they might as well go all out to not only refresh the ride, but breathe new life into it which will attract thousands of people from all over to come ride Goliath and "Iron Eagle". The 2nd reason being marketing which tags along with my first reason. You're not going to bring it many guests to a ride that was re-tracked and repainted. Most of the GP won't care about that or will even notice it. That's a huge investment in itself and probably not worth it. Repainting a roller coaster is very expensive, especially when the coaster has more supports than just about any other wooden coaster in the world.

I'm not a finance expert nor do I know how much they've put into X-Flight and Goliath over the last 3 years so I don't even know if they could do something like this. I could be wrong, but I just feel going the I-Box route, while more expensive initially, is far better for the park in the long run then spending millions refreshing the ride and probably not attracting that many more guests to ride it. Either direction they go, I would be happy with it. This has been my favorite coaster at the park for over 10 years now up until yesterday when I rode Goliath, but even I have to admit, it really needs some love. Yesterday was the first time I've ever heard multiple people from different groups mention how bad Eagle has gotten and I have to agree. I love a good classic shaky wooden coaster, but the helixes have been bad for some years and now the bottom of some of the drops are getting a bit too rough for my tastes.

Perhaps I'm just being greedy and wanting RMC to do another project at the park, but in all honesty, would this really be a bad direction for the park to go with American Eagle? Again, I'm no finance expert and I understand this isn't some game where they can spend $10+ million every couple years, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this too.

One question, did anyone see the FlashPass line? does it join with the queue or does it go all the way to the station?

If they're using it as they intended there's a separate gate with a divider that runs up the entry stairs. I haven't actually seen it in actaion but that's the way others have described it. It also sounds like some single riders have been sent through there. Goliath is Platinum FlashPass only.

^Yes, there is a separate gate by the stairs, and Flashpassers go up the right side of the stairs to the station. Did not see more than one pair of people using that entrance in the hour it took to get past it.

This thing looks great, who even knows when I'll get to ride it. I have really been enjoying watching all the rider vids. That zero-g stall looks insane.

The eagle is great how it is I'd rather they make a concerted effort to improve various facets of the park experience for the 40th anniversary including repainting. However I do feel that topper track on the small helixes at least would help immensely as now there the anticlimactic slow shuffle fest to the ride.

Alright... I still need to get on goliath and need to figure out time to go now. Now that more people have gone. Larger riders... If I cleared Top Thrill and MF yesterday can I get on Goliath? Or should I wait and diet. I am losing weight either way. I don't want to waste a drive. Sometimes I think I am 25 and can drive 4 hrs to a park go all day and then drive 4 hrs home, but I can't anymore. 34 is different, I feel young and ready to go, but at the end of the day I am done and need to get a hotel I found out.

LOL, I think many of us are experiencing similar problems as we age, but still ride coasters. My biggest problem is simply standing for an extended time. It really effects my back and I won't wait for any ride longer than 30 minutes. Thanks to line reducing options I have been accustomed to being spoiled, but it's becoming increasingly expensive. A platinum Flash Pass to ride Goliath is $210 for two people!

the air time on Goliath is 10x better than El Toro.

How is that even possible? lol

In my opinion it is haha. Just the length of airtime on Goliath was better than El Toro.

I haven't been on Goliath and I still call shenanigans. El Toro has long, sustained airtime over all of its big hills, and an ejecting "pop" on the hill over Rolling Thunder('s area).

the air time on Goliath is 10x better than El Toro.

How is that even possible? lol

In my opinion it is haha. Just the length of airtime on Goliath was better than El Toro.

I haven't been on Goliath and I still call shenanigans. El Toro has long, sustained airtime over all of its big hills, and an ejecting "pop" on the hill over Rolling Thunder('s area).

I've been on both now. No way, no comparison. Goliath has one good ejector hill and the 1st drop. Anything going else is a pop. El Toro (Skyrush too) is an angry beasts that wants to throw you from the train. Goliath is the kinder, gentler RMC. There's no shame in that.

The best part about Goliath looks to be the hang time in the inversions anyway. It's airtime definitely isn't as long as Toro's. Toro gives a good 3 to 4 seconds of sustained ejector on the big camelhumps. The speed hill on Goliath looks to give about 2 seconds.

The best part about Goliath looks to be the hang time in the inversions anyway. It's airtime definitely isn't as long as Toro's. Toro gives a good 3 to 4 seconds of sustained ejector on the big camelhumps. The speed hill on Goliath looks to give about 2 seconds.

Goliath is all about hang time. The overbanked turn, the dive loop, the zero-g stall, and the overbanked twist and shout. Goliath is the worlds best hangtime coaster and will fight that position.

Goliath is all about hang time. The overbanked turn, the dive loop, the zero-g stall, and the overbanked twist and shout. Goliath is the worlds best hangtime coaster and will fight that position.

It looks wild for sure. I definitely want to get out to Great America to try it soon.

Just rode Goliath. It met my expectations in that I had a decent idea of what it was going to deliver and it did deliver on that. It's just not my fav type of coaster and I'm still trying to get used to the rides again. I was getting such a rush off Viper last year, especially at the end, and it's not giving me much of anything so far even though the ride is riding exactly the same. I probably need a few more visits. Heights and crazy drops have never come natural to me. I am not a big fan of these lap bar cars and I really don't like the fact that there's nothing to hold onto in front or anything to anchor my torso area. It kinda feels like I'm riding a coaster in a seat meant for a movie. They really, really push that bar down farther than on any ride I've been on. The lift hill is slower than I thought and kinda steep and intimidating. I would gladly trade that bar for a shoulder harness or something like Maverick has.

Going on a near vertical hill in that seat feels wild, but that's not something I really look for. Feels like the hills on RB and AE, just more vertical. The elements are cool and all, it just feels like it blazes right through them. The ride itself feels incredibly short. Like if Maverick stopped and didn't launch into the second part.

It's hard to rank it because it is superior to the other coasters at what it does, but as far as being a satisfying ride experience, I'd probably rank it below everything but Pretzelman. Lately I really feel like I want a more epic coaster experience. And definitely a higher number of satisfying inversions along with the variety of elements something like Maverick has. Say 7 inversions for a one minute ride and closer to 10 for a 90 second one. But that's just my personal pref. If you want a short explosive wood style coaster that possesses the type of elements Goliath does, I imagine its the best at what it does.

Goliath's begative g float makes you feel like you are flying/gliding while the momentum and ridiculous amount of speed is still forward, whereas I would say that the air in el toro and new texas giant are much stronger-you feel like you are being flung from a bull. If you were to ride either without a lap bar, i feel like the trajectory of goliath would be to throw you forward toward the dive loop because there is so much momentum and the negative gs arent super strog, whereas on el toro, if you rode without a lap bar, youd just be flung straight up and fall right back down almost exactly where your butt lifted off the seat.

All the elements on giath blend into one giant element. There is no pause anywhere. The introduction to the negative g float is your first and only moment to get your bearings. Here i am, right side up, these are my surroundings- then you ascend toward the dive loop (which is an ascent, a half a zero g roll, and a verryyy long topof a vertical loop, bascally its own zero g stall but half as long) and as you fly toward that element you get this POP /gliding airtime. It makes the tripacross the ride more fun but it isnt a super intense element. It is strong enough and well designed enough to guarantee a negative g float experience sustained for several seconds. You glide along quickly toward the dive loop but oke thing is for sure-you will never be in a seat or on a train in which this element doesnt deliver, whoch can happen on bull and some other rides-elements can be hit or miss.

I was all good till "unforgiving for bigger riders" sounds painful.

Not painful. It is just it may be difficult for the restraints to close on bigger riders. I am pretty sure if you can fit on El Toro, you can ride Goliath. But do not quote me on that.

I've just saw the news report on Goliath and now I know I cannot wait until my vacation time in late July before I fly over there and get a chance to ride my first ever RMC. I'm planning a two-day visit to Six Flags Great America because I know how crowded that park can be ( I mean, I've been there twice, both on a Monday, and the park was CROWD-DED!!!) and I want to try and take on everything. Besides Goliath, I want to ride X-flight and the Whizzer again, plus an assortment of fun-loving flat rides.

I hope it's great because that would really be good, and it's good to be great because that's the best!

the person I was with did not fit on MF 2 years ago, does not fit on X Flight aside from row 4, barely fits on Batman, doesn't fit on V2, and had no issues fitting on Goliath. The crew just kept insisting on pushing the bar down further and further. But they got it. I'm relatively thin and they pushed it down so far that I see why they said no waist packs. There was literally no room left. On the plus side, they monitor the station with a camera for theft so you can feel more secure leaving phones and stuff behind.