TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

This is life in Illinois. We're everything that's wrong with California, without the view.

Posted Images

Anyone else planning on getting to the media day event via mass transit? I will be leaving St. Louis at 3pm, arriving in Chicago (union station) at 8:40. From there I will take the UP-N train north to the Waukegan station arriving around 10:50 pm. From there I will take a 15 min taxi to the park. With the park closing at 10, does anyone know a good place within walking distance of the park to hangout in till the event at 3:30? I would like to avoid sitting in the six flags parking lot.

Just a word of advice for the Metra train. Buy a round trip in Chicago before you leave unless you have cash. The ticket window in Waukegan closes around noon, and Metra think it's still 1989 so only cash fares are accepted on the train. The ticket window in Chicago will accept any credit cards, though.

Anyone else planning on getting to the media day event via mass transit? I will be leaving St. Louis at 3pm, arriving in Chicago (union station) at 8:40. From there I will take the UP-N train north to the Waukegan station arriving around 10:50 pm. From there I will take a 15 min taxi to the park. With the park closing at 10, does anyone know a good place within walking distance of the park to hangout in till the event at 3:30? I would like to avoid sitting in the six flags parking lot.

Just a word of advice for the Metra train. Buy a round trip in Chicago before you leave unless you have cash. The ticket window in Waukegan closes around noon, and Metra think it's still 1989 so only cash fares are accepted on the train. The ticket window in Chicago will accept any credit cards, though.

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Looks like I will be hanging out at the Avalon from 11:30-3:30 am. The email I received from sixflags said that the gates open at 4 for media day invites.

Or the tunnel was set on fire.

By the way, what's up with those ugly Six Flags stickers on the train? Is that permanent? Hope they're only for the media day.

EDIT: This is a beautiful screenshot:

Goliath.thumb.jpg.68d3ddcea9f2d1042cb6eac46b9c76ed.jpg

And you can clearly see the twist -then- the drop of the dive loop.

Edited by KingRCT3

^It does look like smoke....

The stickers I believe are to advertise the ride as Six Flag's coaster, so they get credit on the news stations. They put same type of stickers on Full Throttle, but then removed them shortly thereafter.

Just got an email from Katy Enrique, stating the check-in time will be from 4am-noon.

The more I look at it, that's a pretty weak fog effect if it is indeed fog. Maybe it is smoke. It could be something temporary like what they did to BTR's station with the mist effect in 2012 or 2013 (I forget if it was for its 20th anniversary or BTR Backwards).

I will be attending Goliath's media day and will be live tweeting my day in the park. You can follow along with my day on Twitter with the user name: @jon_winters.

Just got off the first ride of the day on Goliath. What a great ride. The first drop is fantastic and the zero g stall is so bizarrely unnatural. Can't wait to ride it again.

Good ride! Not as intense or forceful as the other Rocky Mountain coasters, but it had some really amazing elements. The hang time on the zero-g roll and dive loop is quite crazy! It is a very graceful ride that does not beat you up or wear you down like some other wooden coasters. The leg bar on the restraints is more comfortable when compared to Outlaw Run's. They form around you shins instead of being a solid bar. With that said, it is pretty much unforgiving for bigger riders.

image.thumb.jpg.656d4d4ea42f4bb2c3b6eb1d2556440f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.4dca37ba2a39bfad11f8ab457a68c2ac.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.56eca76527ec2496f2b454ffba0f3aa4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cc8ef74edbb0a79ce413418c28012d62.jpg

Edited by Erik Johnson

^ Aww yeah I see myself in that train.

There's typical Media Day slowness going on but it would be great if the other train was on the circuit just to move people a little bit during this downtime.

Nice pictures. It's interesting to see that, on the storage track, it sits on its upstop wheels like el toro.

Maybe outlaw run also does but, if so, I hadn't noticed it.

Hey, I'm in the picture of the first train. It truly is a great ride. Not as out of control as Outlaw Run, but it has some great elements.

I've gotten rides in the back and the middle and they are very different experiences. I actually thought that the middle was more intense than the back. You really get snapped into the zero g stall which is such a great element. Unlike anything I've ridden before.

The ride is running better now. We rode in the back car and the airtime is getting much more pronounced. My favorite parts are still the dive loop and the Zero-G. The hang time is just insane.

image.thumb.jpg.ab51a2f43f2831c1c6110c21d3403b64.jpg

See anyone you know?

image.thumb.jpg.41625d4c5190e335c1fee8044ca54812.jpg

The train exited the dive loop and on its way up into the zero g stall poly started ripping off of a wheel which made an extremely loud noise. When the train returned to the brake run one of the cars was bouncing like a wheel was lopsided. They moved the train to the transfer track and lowered it for repairs.