TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It could be worse. At least it's not as bad as SFMM construction.

it was awesome waiting for Superman way back when.

anyway, i'm excited to visit my birth city this summer for the first time since i think raging bull was brand new or 2nd year.

The construction crews didn't see their family. They went to a local dive, or a bar near Gurnee Mills and spilt the beans on how much they hate their life right now.

1/2 joke, get it!?!?!

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!! So funny!!!!

In other words... I can NOT wait to see testing videos of Goliath!!!

The construction crews didn't see their family. They went to a local dive, or a bar near Gurnee Mills and spilt the beans on how much they hate their life right now.

1/2 joke, get it!?!?!

You're probably pretty close to the truth.

Hell, I think most of the major "new for 2014" rides still haven't opened and won't be open by June 1.

This is becoming pretty common in the USA over the last 5+ years and is one of the main reasons we always do our USA TPR Trips in late summer.

Hell, I think most of the major "new for 2014" rides still haven't opened and won't be open by June 1.

It does seem that way, but you have to look at them on a case-by-case basis. Nothing should come as a major shock.

- Nothing at Six Flags is ever open on opening day and usually opens in June if it's a larger ride.

- Cedar Fair generally opens their new rides on time, though with prototype rides they may be a little late.

- B&M rides almost always open on time unless they're being built at a Six Flags park.

- Intamin rides rarely open on time, especially when they have brand new technologies but they're usually awesome once they open.

- Dollywood always finishes construction on new rides really quickly and everyone is shocked at how fast they manage to get everything built.

- Disney and Universal usually don't announce opening dates very far in advance because they always push the limits of technology with their rides. Planning around these things until a date is announced is pointless. Just be patient and it will be worth the wait.

This is what happens every year and seems to sum up what's happened so far this year. Yes it is pretty funny that Six Flags America hasn't been able to open a relocated Wild Mouse yet and it's after Memorial day and SFMM is on pace to open their kiddy coaster during Fright Fest at this point but Six Flags does things like this every year.

^I can't speak for MM, but it seems to me what they're trying to do is keep the Xtreme excitement going throughout the year. They will probably open Speedy's Jumping Bean, Sombrero, Lowrider, Lawn Mowing, Siesta coaster after Batman and Colossus stop they're backward runs in July. Cause' after the insanity that is Namtab and Sussoloc, nothing says Xtreme like a kiddie coaster! YOLO BABY! YOLO!

Guy "Prepping my a$$ for a bit of the ol' credit whoring." Koepp

youd think these parks would want the new attractions open ASAP, and hire some more construction workers and go to 3 shifts, 24/7 and get these rides open. six flags is just a joke on how they operate. no excuse not having a new ride open by now.

In the Tribune article about Goliath on May 2, the park said that the winter freeze only delayed construction two full days. I raised my concern here about how rain could delay construction further, and everyone said "if they can handle the cold, they can handle the rain!" Except that when there is rain, there is lightning. And when wood is wet, it probably isnt as useful. They built most of the coaster in the past two months and on may 2 they announced the may 29 media day, but we have lost a week since then, at least, with wet weather, lightning, and lift / zero g stall installation delays. At one point they said the lift would be up by the end of the week, i believe it was mothers day weekend, and it took another 6 days and they had to uninstall and reinstall the zero g stall. I am not complaining, just pointing out my observations. I get a little annoyed when people blame the freezing weather. We probably lost a week over the entire winter due to chills, although the park said it was only 2 days, and then another week at least this month alone.

Im not going to scream at them because, come on, two months ago there was no drop, dove loop, zero g stall, grouted track, roof over thedrop, station, transfer track, or queue/marquee.

I have no idea what they are still doing with a crane near te overbank... But it isnt my job to know what tey are doing. I can only hope that they will finish putting topper track on today or tomorrow and do a pull through this weekend and have a solid 4 days of testing before friday. Wishful thinking i know.

Here is a pic posted to sfgamworld and im sorry i have no idea who took it so i cant give credit. The member who posted it there simply said that he found it "on the internet." image.thumb.jpg.a09421decb8b3f01248f9a6579b25e4f.jpg. In the time since this photo was taken, the chain has been fully installed and more orange cars have been added to the track.

From RMC facebook page:

"Here is your amazing and VERY tired Golaith crew! They are working extremely long hours to finish this coaster. Thanks to you all for putting in so many long consecutive days and being away from your family and friends for the past 10 months. We appreciate your hard work more than words can say:-)"

2439072_RMCgoliathcrew.jpg.a5a60ce5218c8f03f407872d2ff8b89d.jpg

I'm thinking of the Chicagoland days the news told people to not even go outside if they didn't need to, because of the cold. Makes me that much more grateful for these guys. Nobody wants to finish a project late.

Poor guys are working 12 hour days 7 days a week and people are complaining! I hope they and their families get to ride it a million times during the testing period!

Also, holy crap, look how cool the first drop and the floater hills look from that perspective!

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project. And, as has been said, I think this ride will definitely be worth waiting for.

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

It's called advanced planning. If you start construction sufficiently in advance, you can handle even worst case weather scenarios.

The finger pointing has gotten to the point of entertaining... I really wish we (SFSTL) had a beautiful exciting new coaster to complain about. Hell, you can pack it up and open it in our park in August of next year and we'll still take it gripe free... Can we take it to a vote?

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

It's called advanced planning. If you start construction sufficiently in advance, you can handle even worst case weather scenarios.

just goes to show how much better run cedar point and kings island are.

just goes to show how much better run cedar point and kings island are.

Construction timelines have nothing to do with how well run a park is. I'm not saying the harsh winter/spring is a completely valid excuse for opening this ride well after Memorial Day, but it says next to nothing about in-park operations.

Hmm--I don't know enough about what each park had to deal with in constructing these rides to make any determination here. There are just too many factors involved (for example, the nature of the construction site or the differences in building two entirely different types of rides).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to both Banshee and Goliath (but a bit more to the latter).

Construction timelines have nothing to do with how well run a park is. I'm not saying the harsh winter/spring is a completely valid excuse for opening this ride well after Memorial Day, but it says next to nothing about in-park operations.

That's totally true. It could very well be a set of exceptional circumstances. On that note....is Raging Bull running 3 trains yet this year? Does X-Flight have its second train on yet?

Edited by DirkFunk