TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Hi, I'm new to these forums!

I'm actually going to SFGAm tomorrow for opening day, despite the crummy weather. Does anyone know if Goliath will be running tomorrow? Is it completeted? I haven't been paying attention to the status of Goliath as much as I should have. I have checked the camera every week or so, but I am still unsure. I am assuming its not from the posts above mine. But I really wish they could have had it for opening day if so.

Thanks!

Sorry For my bad questions.

It will. It's the first wooden roller coaster where the train jumps the lift hill to get to the drop.

I'm actually going to SFGAm tomorrow for opening day, despite the crummy weather. Does anyone know if Goliath will be running tomorrow? Is it completeted? I haven't been paying attention to the status of Goliath as much as I should have. I have checked the camera every week or so, but I am still unsure. I am assuming its not from the posts above mine. But I really wish they could have had it for opening day if so.

Thanks!

They still have some work to do on the lift and first drop as well as the top of the Zero-G stall. Then they have to test it. The park's target date of opening Goliath is May 31st. Welcome to the forums!

I don't want to sound negative or anything, but I now doubt that Goliath will be open by memorial day. I think the bad winter really affected the construction. I'd expect the coaster to be open next month, maybe a few weeks after memorial day.

Thanks!

The weather tomorrow is actually supposed to be very nice, with partly sunny skies and mid 60s temps. A ton better than it has been all week and great weather for opening day. Enjoy!

I think they only need a week to test this ride, IMO. They can do test runs all through the night if they have to. They'll probably have to go through a period of going through the soft polyurethane wheel to the hard ones. Getting the trains and track broken in won't be a problem. After that, all that needs to happen is for the ride to pass the state inspection. With the world class engineering from RMC, the ride should pass with flying colors.

I previously said I was loving the way the dive loops looks, and how the track doesn't bend into the inversion, and that it looks like it 'snaps' into the dive nice and quick. I just saw the picture of the beginning on the zero-g-stall, and it looks like RMC is giving us another quick, breath taking inversion. Dada-DA-dah-DAA, I'm Lovin' It.

Goliath looks like it will leave the crowds breathless, giving standing ovations(at least people will try), with a clap-happy return to the station,

I think Goliath will be a hit. There are lots of people here in the Chicago metropolitan area who have never seen a Rocky Mountain woodie, let alone ridden one. They are in for a kick-ass surprise.

Just got back from the park - really busy and I was tired from a track and field meet the day before. Here some of photos for you to enjoy:

IMG_1384.thumb.JPG.61fafe79bc12c4d754d1c47a44a74068.JPG

IMG_1388.thumb.JPG.28beac1cabb367b8804de03e60c49d57.JPG

Station looks almost done.

IMG_1391.thumb.JPG.835ec203e08d47c11e698b5dd67cec76.JPG

Track is all complete on this segment of the lift.

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.4a0fac6198467482ac824dd012dd8dcf.JPG

Other side of the lift.

IMG_1400.thumb.JPG.46dbce3862b227f877aaf287e0945c7c.JPG

The "beam" that extends in the middle of the photo is the brake run. You can't see in this photo, but the station is about 75 feet to the right. Once all of the track is complete, I'm sure they will start installing the brakes.

IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.6f9cda0f0a124ac3d4316afd29fb73b6.JPG

Had a fairly quick trip to SFGAm but I mainly went to activate my gold pass, get some photos of Goliath before it opens in a few weeks, and of course get on at least a couple rides. First of all, the new biometric system took forever. With that said, I understand it went slow because it was opening day, a lot of employees are still getting use to the new system, and everyone is activating their passes at once. However, if you add in the time waiting at the front gates with the biometric scanners and the fact that you still have to go Hometown Square anyways to activate your pass, it actually took more time than the previous method of getting a photo ID.

Some changes I noticed right away are some new signs in front of the park and new blacktop as you enter the parking lot. I got there an hour before the park opened and still waited close to 30 minutes on Six Flags Parkway just to get to the parking booth to park my car. For some reason they weren't letting anyone file into Carousel Plaza like normal so everyone was getting backed up at the gates until close to 10:30 when the park officially opened. I first headed to Hometown Square to activate my gold pass which took about 20 minutes or so. I headed to X-Flight and only waited about 5 minutes to get on. I then went to American Eagle and got a ride on the red side. The blue side was closed but the red side is my favorite so I was okay with that.

I got some photos of Goliath and some other places around the park before I headed over to Gurnee Mills to grab a few things and headed home. Can't wait to head back in a few weeks when Goliath opens! By the way, it looks massive in person. The webcam obviously doesn't do it justice.

Flash Pass center received some new paint colors this off season.

IMG_7250.thumb.jpg.5c8507947c70db44b5b83ebd8ce3ccc3.jpg

Sky Trek Tower ran during the first hour or so and then closed. Maybe because of wind.

IMG_7253.thumb.jpg.fc23b11f09a3dd2b31655f84181603d4.jpg

X-Flight was running 2 trains today!

IMG_7254.thumb.jpg.d662179b94ce16e205e9af74e0cd8e26.jpg

A view of Goliath from X-Flight's station.

IMG_7255.thumb.jpg.709a16403da7347b12cd4a715e4be637.jpg

American Eagle looking beautiful as always, but could definitely use some fresh white paint!

IMG_7257.thumb.jpg.cc14ddf20de22a4c5b5d07fbc8cef6cb.jpg

A look at Goliath from the County Fair midway by Revolution.

IMG_7256.thumb.jpg.f18b5bd3373d5e5fd2e85b6ef596c269.jpg

Dive loop looks so much bigger in person!

IMG_7258.thumb.jpg.d5049a2a0f19ed73978e0f90fb914193.jpg

IMG_7259.thumb.jpg.bdfa4414f5210d81af7a2e10a227091b.jpg

IMG_7263.thumb.jpg.e75625f0cc2c9766473f8ec09a41afda.jpg

Thrillseekers gift shop and new coke snack stand outside of Goliath.

IMG_7264.thumb.jpg.1b65a971c133ef3d886679cd0765a07d.jpg

Up, up, and away!

IMG_7265.thumb.jpg.6ec5736a0cf0533ad21db3dc41e23156.jpg

A view from Camp Cartoon.

IMG_7268.thumb.jpg.86089084c7c4f4dae609499f685f3c68.jpg

Overbank turn from Camp Cartoon.

IMG_7269.thumb.jpg.8925745451a9bbfb9756afd67b1d72cc.jpg

An ACE landmark and ACE classic in one shot.

IMG_7270.thumb.jpg.7c2ba16a37bbf76ad650220f8c515ad6.jpg

Did Condor receive a new bird on top or repaint? Something looks different. EDIT: Never mind. It must be because the "Condor" sign isn't up there by it.

IMG_7274.thumb.jpg.c499f741e7c444c9076ec03d5d866f3b.jpg

See you in a few weeks when the giant comes to life!

IMG_7276.thumb.jpg.171d50001032337a4439f4cf5fbeb451.jpg

I'm in the parking lot of GAm right now. My orchestra was here for three hours since we had a competition beforehand. Goliath truly is a beast of a ride, and I can't wait to get down to ride it this summer! Other than that, the only ride I got to ride was X-Flight. Most people only got a chance to ride one ride, as every major ride had a wait of AT LEAST an hour and a half. I expected it, but it was still infuriating to experience. Besides that, the staff and ride ops were incredibly friendly despite being inefficient. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll be back later this summer!

^Yeah. The crew for X-Flight was very inefficient. On opening day a row (I believe it was 7) was already closed off with those tarps that say "next row, please". The maintenance had the whole winter to make sure the ride would be ready to go, but they couldn't figure out row seven. Also, I rode in the back and my restraint was not fully tightened when I pulled it down, so they told me when the train leaves, pull it down and it will lock. It worked, however, I don't understand why it didn't lock right away. I think the crew made the most of the "sketchy" restraints. Someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure this isn't happening at cedar point on Gatekeeper.

That dive loop looks completely ridiculous with that wooden support structure. If anyone had told me that a ride like this would get built a few years ago I would have called them crazy. Can't wait to hear all the reports once it opens!

Also, I rode in the back and my restraint was not fully tightened when I pulled it down, so they told me when the train leaves, pull it down and it will lock. It worked, however, I don't understand why it didn't lock right away. I think the crew made the most of the "sketchy" restraints. Someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure this isn't happening at cedar point on Gatekeeper.

What do you mean by "not fully tightened?"

Also, I rode in the back and my restraint was not fully tightened when I pulled it down, so they told me when the train leaves, pull it down and it will lock. It worked, however, I don't understand why it didn't lock right away. I think the crew made the most of the "sketchy" restraints. Someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure this isn't happening at cedar point on Gatekeeper.

What do you mean by "not fully tightened?"

There were a few inches of gap between my legs and the restraint - I tried to pull it down further but it wouldn't lock tighter to my legs.