TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Kingda is a great coaster, I agree with you. But Kilo is just a waste of space... Getting rid of a woodie for a record breaking drop tower and a capacity nightmare. Great. Nintro is just and out and back with more airtime; Raging Bull is for the twists and some air time. El Toro may be great, but the turns at the end seem a bit obnoxious.

Just want to post my thoughts on this- do you consider airtime obnoxious as well?

Zumanjaro (not sure what "Kilo" is) will probably have a higher throughput than RT, considering low ridership. Also, 24 riders per cycle is comparable with most Intamin drop towers. Not sure how that's a capacity nightmare. Just sayin. Also, "Kilo" itself takes up 0 sq. feet. It's just the queue that requires the RT footprint, which was likely an excuse to remove RT (not that they needed an excuse, it's their decision).

For "Nintro," I think Mitch Hawker would tend to disagree.

Not trying to be too rude, but I wanted to point these out.

^I actually really enjoyed Cedar Fair's post, it had this sort of dadaist quality to it.

I second that. That's the reason I signed up for TPR. To respond and enjoy their posts.

No let's get back to talking about SFGAm. That's why we're here, right?

^You can include me in that court of opinion.

I enjoyed my first visit to SFGAm. But to be honest, I didn't find it to be any more or less impressive than any other 6F park. 1 stand out coaster, and a ton of other "fun" rides. Having ridden 2 of the 3 RMC's, I will give Goliath the benefit of the doubt and say that they will have 2 standout coasters in a few weeks. But that puts it on par with just about every other park in the chain. Aside from park layouts I find them all to be quite similar.

The point about which park is better is kinda moot. They're all Six Flags. You go in pretty much knowing what your gonna get, and when there is the off chance that a ride surprises you and delivers a bit more. Then. Huzzah! Whipped cream and a f*@kin cherry on your banana split!

This insane fanboyism is driving me nuts. My park is better than your park! No! My park is better than yours! I got news for you! MM is GAdv, is GAm, is FT, is oT, is DK, is oG, is NE, is Am, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda! You know what? They all have a 6F before their name. Which puts them all in the same category. "We're your regional amusement park, buy a season pass and spend money here!

(Drops mic and walks away.)

I kind of agree, most of the parks have similar and the same kind of rides. Maybe a different one here and there, but they are pretty much the same. The only sit out parks would probably be there Flagship parks. (SFOT, SFGA,SFMM,SFGAD.) but other than that they are all the same parks. For the most part.

You could say the same about The Magic Kingdom/Disneyland parks. The 2 Busch Parks, Legoland, and Universal parks also tend to have the same rides in each park

I enjoyed my first visit to SFGAm. But to be honest, I didn't find it to be any more or less impressive than any other 6F park. 1 stand out coaster, and a ton of other "fun" rides. Having ridden 2 of the 3 RMC's, I will give Goliath the benefit of the doubt and say that they will have 2 standout coasters in a few weeks. But that puts it on par with just about every other park in the chain. Aside from park layouts I find them all to be quite similar.

The point about which park is better is kinda moot. They're all Six Flags. You go in pretty much knowing what your gonna get, and when there is the off chance that a ride surprises you and delivers a bit more. Then. Huzzah! Whipped cream and a f*@kin cherry on your banana split!

This insane fanboyism is driving me nuts. My park is better than your park! No! My park is better than yours! I got news for you! MM is GAdv, is GAm, is FT, is oT, is DK, is oG, is NE, is Am, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda! You know what? They all have a 6F before their name. Which puts them all in the same category. "We're your regional amusement park, buy a season pass and spend money here!

Excellent..... Guy wins again!

Excellent..... Guy wins again!

I'll be a SFGAm homebody and say I think the accusation that all SF parks are the same is wrong, I've been to GA, OT, MM, STl, an KK.....Great America had way more to do. People say STl, and I found it quite lacking. To each his own I guess.

All the entrances to the park are quite different to, they all have different vibes,

Nobody on here uses the word vibe/vibes BTW

To piggy back this..

There is a little comfort in knowing what you're going to get, but when it comes to SF, that's not always a good thing. This is why I prefer CF parks. "I know what I'm going to get." It may not be exceptional, but I can almost always count on it being a pleasant experience. With SF I also know what I'm going to get... a few good experiences mixed in with an overcoming amount of frustration and marketing.

However, I will say that out of all of the SF parks I've been to, SFGam is probably my favorite. I really enjoy their line-up. It's one of the few parks worth the stress to revisit. As for SFMM... I'd rather get a root canal than ever go back

Even the best Starbucks is still a Starbucks .. It's a chain, get over it.

Besides, what's this mad obsession to be the "BEST" park in the chain/state/country/region/world etc? SFGAm can be a great park for various reasons, and SFGAdv can be a great park for various (some over-lapping) reasons. There's no need to get all defensive and argumentative .. like whichever parks you like, for the reasons which matter to you; and let other people like the parks that they like for reasons which matter to them. Arguing will go no-where.

In fact I'd rather chat with someone about what they like about other parks (which might not appeal to me), because I'm interested in seeing what other people like; and maybe I can see a meh-to-me park or coasters in a new and better light. I already know what I like so much about (for example) V2 and Whizzer, so what am I going to gain by talking to someone who feels the same way? Conversely, I enjoy hearing from non-enthusiasts who like Raging Bull, because they get all excited and dreamy-eyed and that's cool.

Cameron ("I do draw the line at people who like the SUF clones, though") Silver.

PS: More pictures of Goliath please, I just bought a new tub of hand-cream..

Conversely, I enjoy hearing from non-enthusiasts who like Raging Bull, because they get all excited and dreamy-eyed and that's cool.

I still love Raging Bull. It's not a popular opinion, but it's still my favorite B&M hyper out of the four I've been on. It also has one of my favorite first drops of the 150 other coasters I've been on. Even trimmed to hell, I still love it.

^^ I agree. Raging Bull is the only B&M Hyper I've been on, but it is my favorite of any Hyper I've been on (Morgan, Arrow). I love how you are out of your seat for the first drop!

Hmm, I think Apollo's Chariot and Diamondback are better than the Raging Bull. (Apollo's Chariot is #3 on my list of top 10 steel coasters) However, I think Raging Bull is one of the most underrated and under-acknowledged coasters. The first drop is fantastic, as well as the airtime on the drop after the brake run and the hill after the brake run. All around it's a very fun ride, and it never gets old!