TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m so ready for these totally arbitrary and nonsensical covid rules to be over.  So a waterpark with no masks was fine all summer but they can’t run a coaster Or a Scrambler with a bunch of empt

I'm divided when it comes to COVID.  If a state is going to have restrictions, at least do it right. Illinois is allowing water parks because the chemicals in the water have been found to kill CO

Just like at Over Texas, I think that Great America may have leaked its plans for 2021! 🤯🤯🤯

Posted Images

^What is this based off of.

People bring this up sometimes, but nobody ever seems to be able to cite proof. Personally, I don't really buy it - MAYBE it's true for the part near the station that's closest to Washington Street, but the rest of it doesn't totally strike me as plausible - I don't think the village would care that much about the few houses right across Washington Street, and as for being close to the Tollway, there's a fairly recently-built building across the Tollway that's closer to the road than the Eagle is.

Count me in as one who thought Eagle was awful last year. It hasn't ridden this bad in a long time. When the track is in good shape and they run it with the trims off it's a blast. It needs a LOT of work now though. I'm pretty sure there's practically no chance of it ever getting an RMC makeover with Goliath and all. I'd love to see AE get some work, but if they did decide to take it out that'd be ok, too. I'd miss it just because I've grown up with it in the park, but if it doesn't get any work soon there's really no point to keeping it there.

I don't think it's meant to be a "great" coaster. It's just supposed to be notable, probably locally. At least that's how I see it - others could see it differently.

Maybe now, but when it opened it was the tallest and fastest coaster, and it remained the fastest wooden coaster I believe until Son of Beast opened 20 years later, so while I think it never got the recognition that it deserved, it should have been a pretty notable coaster, not just locally. I understand it isn't that great of a ride now compared to, well, a lot of other stuff.

As for the thought the park couldn't build anything else if it was torn down, are you really telling me that if you went to these houses that people are claiming wouldn't allow it and said, "Hey, we're going to tear down this SUPER LOUD wooden coaster and replace it with a silent other than the screaming giga coaster that the people wouldn't be okay with that? Eagle, especially if you manage to be close to it when it's running, is a LOUD coaster.

^I assume it is due to modern building code not allowing the structure to be built so close to Washington St., not seeking permission of the neighbors.

When I rode it last year, I thought Eagle was pretty smooth for a woodie -- and I even put it in my top 10 wood coasters (a small list, to be fair) -- but I should probably disclose that I was at Mt. Olympus the day before...

I've ridden it almost every month (May-October) since 2004 each season and to be honest, it seems to change every month. It doesn't seem like there's ever a good year or a bad year, it just has good days and bad days. Some of the best rides I've ever had on it are when it's really cold outside, like during Fright Fest. Maybe that's just me.

Although I love entertaining the idea of renovating it, even redesigning it, doing an iron horse or just topper track treatment so we never have to discuss how rough it is ever again, I would never advocate for its demolition. Other than colossus there is a white wooden coaster in Japan that I have a photo of in an old roller coaster book somewhere... and then there is eagle. It is a behemoth. There are three major white woodies (of this scale) left so keeping the structure is important for the coaster world and especially for the park, whose seen Iron wolf, shockwave, and deja vu go recently... as well as tital wave, z force, etc.

A topper track treatment would really be the best bet. It would respect the intamin design and preserve it while cutting maintenance costs and improving guest experience. I honestly hope that this route is a serious consideration by the park and I know they've had time to think about it over the past year, spending so much time with RMC andor dealing with this project.

If we were to consider a redesign, I think it would be fun to give one side to RMC and another to Intamin and have a contest of sorts. Shoot a documentary about the original coaster, the records it broke, the memories that were formed on it, and the challenge of restoring it-updating it-making a contest of it with the two best wooden coaster manufacturers in the world. It would be unprecedented. The ride would get so much attention around the world and they could air the documentary on Travel channel.

That top overbank element is going to be quite a thrill! It is amazing how tall that structure is, to see it in real life after only seeing renderings. The energy coming out of the tunnel after the first drop is going to be awesome.

^Someone posted awhile back it is 125 ft., with the twist and shout (the lower overbank) at about 60 ft., but I am not sure. That looks about right.

^Someone posted awhile back it is 125 ft., with the twist and shout (the lower overbank) at about 60 ft., but I am not sure. That looks about right.

Yeah, the two top parts of the twist and shout are about 70 feet. The overbank turn is about 125 feet according to the height board they presented at the Gurnee meeting before the ride was announced.

Another bent making its way up. Won't add any height but will make the structure more dense from the webcam's perspective as they place bents around the curvature of the overbank. That airtime hill is going to hurrrrt (so good). Coming off a 125 foot hill and hitting a 60 foot hill.. Can't wait.

This ride not only meets the needs and desires of the coaster industry right now, being an RMC and a record breaker, but it also, in its small footprint, fills several voids in Great America's roster of coasters and elements. Overbank turns... pretty much nonexistent at great America. Raging bull was built at a time in which full circuit coasters never dropped steeper than 65 degrees or banked more than 50/60ish (sitdown coasters). while we have unique ejector air on the first drop of bull (Raging Bull and El Toro have the best first drops in the business. Better than New Texas Giant's), and plenty of air on Viper and eagle, we really don't have THIS level of negatives in the park just yet. A dive loop: we finally have an immelmann on X-flight, but since we got a first-generation B&M standup and no floorless in the late nineties/early 2000s, our park has never had a proper dive loop. Then there's the zero g stall, which NOBODY has, and finally, a proper 85 degree first drop off the lifthill, with now 5 foot drop like bull. Crazy to think about but an uninterrupted first drop is rare in our B&M dominated park. Yes I know, we have Viper and Eagle, but this feels different. Its a more high-tech gadget and those conform to more traditional designs with traditional trains.

I'll try to get over there either today or tomorrow to take some pictures from off property

goliath2.thumb.jpg.4682a564755fc4b16a50c783084d59fb.jpg

I love how the webcam shots started out as almost a Where's Waldo of coaster spotting, but now it's quickly becoming a visual feast of bents and track. I'm glad I've finally gotten into following coaster construction updates.

^I guess that means they had better finishing this quickly and I'm also thinking if the first drop will fit in the image or not.

I love how much smaller that floater hill is right after the 125 foot overbank turn. There's about a 60 foot difference between the two which means you should fly over that hill at a great speed!