TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^That's because they don't work on Sundays unless they're falling behind schedule or they couldn't work a certain day during the week because of weather. Right now they're actually slightly ahead of schedule. I guess with how unpredictable weather is here in northern Illinois, there's no such thing as being slightly ahead of schedule.

Here's the latest from today. It appears they've made more progress on the trench too.

627321432_ScreenShot2013-12-02at12_48_39PM.jpg.b7d62dcfb96698a46975cfa1950b5941.jpg

^^Mardi Gras Sky Screamer!

Honestly, I think I'm going to far, but I have always wanted to see Orleans Place turn into a DC Comics Area. They could rename Condor the Gotham City Crime Wave, make the Rue Le Dodge something like Gotham City Traffic Jam or something, or something like that. Maybe they could remove a flat ride, or maybe move Rue Le Dodge to the County Fair area. This would be so they could maybe add a ZacSpin (Green Lantern ) or maybe a WonderWoman's Lasso of Truth like at SFMM. I always found it pointless for there to be two New Orleans-themed areas, even though one is focused on Mardi Gras.

On Goliath, I CAN'T WAITTTT! I'm glad to see construction is starting!

I doubt that it will get re-themed. I honestly thought that since Orbit was broken so much this year that a Skyscreamer would get built there. Hopefully we can get a 300+ ft tall version. I think it would be possible as long as it's not in the Waukegan Regional Airport direction.

Thanks for crushing my dreams....

I hope Orbit doesn't go. I love that ride so much!

^Do you mean Sky Screamer? That's what everyone thought we were getting this year, so it's possible. I think it will be a smaller flat ride or, even better, a themed dark ride to replace the Southwest ampitheater

I REALLY like the idea of a Sally Corp. shooter dark ride in the Southwest Territory. I *love* the shooter dark rides. It would definitely be something everyone could enjoy, and while SFGAm has a much better flat collection than most other chain parks, a dark ride is one thing that is definitely missing!

I really hope IgNight returns. I thought it was an ok show, but it really cleared the back of the park out. Lines on the coasters dwindled to nothing every night just before the show started, making it very easy to get plenty of night laps in, so I hope it's backjust for that reason!

I saw clips of Ignite online and it was just... bad looking. The plotline was strange, I mean what does the Chicago Fire have to do with singing and dancing to today's pop songs? Plus the singing I heard was worse than the average theme park singing. But it was probably slightly better in person.

I agree with the Glow in the Park Parade comments. That parade was amazing. I saw both SFSTL's and SFGAM's and they were both high-quality, especially for Six Flags parks. And then both parks got rid of them for no apparent reason. I mean, they were always bragging about how long it took to create the floats and how expensive they were, and then they only use them for 2-3 seasons.

I saw clips of Ignite online and it was just... bad looking. The plotline was strange, I mean what does the Chicago Fire have to do with singing and dancing to today's pop songs? Plus the singing I heard was worse than the average theme park singing. But it was probably slightly better in person.

I agree with the Glow in the Park Parade comments. That parade was amazing. I saw both SFSTL's and SFGAM's and they were both high-quality, especially for Six Flags parks. And then both parks got rid of them for no apparent reason. I mean, they were always bragging about how long it took to create the floats and how expensive they were, and then they only use them for 2-3 seasons.

I agree with you about the songs and plot line of Ignite. The technical aspects of it is really cool. Canada's Wonderland has a similar show. When I saw it, I believe it was about the history of Canada set to music (no singing). If Ignite was something along those lines then it would be a better show. Also, I was under the impression that Ignite would be the "pre show" to Glow in the Dark. I was a disappointed when I didn't see a nighttime parade. I think if they added a parade the whole thing would be been pretty awesome. This is just my two cents though.

So how long does a wooden coaster take to put up versus a steel one? I'd think a wooden one because of all the pieces, but is that true?

Even complex steel structured coasters can go up fairly quickly. It depends on the crew though and how much time they spend each day. Typically, steel coasters are much quicker to put up than wooden coasters.

Here's from SFGAm's Twitter today:

BaliQPHCAAAdimW.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.37e60a74c4571fffd33bd1e43cd73558.jpeg

I'm glad that this thing is finally going vertical! I'm so pumped to see follow the construction of it. =D

Sorry if i've missed this but does anyone know if all the footers are put into place? or do they still have a few left?

I'm pretty sure all the footers have been placed.

This is something I've never been clear on with prefabricated wooden coasters. Are all the pieces including the supports laser-cut at a factory, or just the pieces for the track itself?

RMC only prefabricates their track. They build the actual bents on sight like any other wooden coaster. Intamin cuts every piece of wood (Track and Structure) and is numbered to go in a certain spot on the ride. This is where the term plug-and-play comes from. The way RMC constructs their coasters is quite different from GCI or MVR, who poor their actual footers on sight. They also don't tighten the bolts that holds the structure in the footers until they're actually done with the ride. This allows the crew to get the slope and angle of track just the way they want it. I also believe that they brace the structure together to keep it from moving or giving, like you would see in a normal wooden coaster. This is very different from how most traditional wooden coasters are constructed, but goes a long way into helping the ride keep it's original form for 20+ years.

Does anyone know if Goliath will open exclusively to season pass holders before its official opening to the public?

I wouldn't be surprised as that's what they did with X-Flight. That's one thing that sort of irks me about Great America, I don't get why they wouldn't want their new coaster to be open to everyone on opening day. For those who only go once a year, it would seem like a ripoff if they went to the park early in the season only for Goliath to not be open yet or only be open to season pass holders.

Does anyone know if Goliath will open exclusively to season pass holders before its official opening to the public?

I wouldn't be surprised as that's what they did with X-Flight. That's one thing that sort of irks me about Great America, I don't get why they wouldn't want their new coaster to be open to everyone on opening day. For those who only go once a year, it would seem like a ripoff if they went to the park early in the season only for Goliath to not be open yet or only be open to season pass holders.

At SFSTL they opened Boomerang one day before opening day for season pass holders and the GP didn't mind. But I mean, it is a Boomerang...

I think this is a strategy to increase the total number of season pass-holders and potential revenues. The park wants to capture those potential repeat visitors and incentivize them to buy the season pass to ride Goliath opening day. Just by having the pass is a possible reason to revisit the park. Six Flags, like other parks, assumes that they will generate additional revenues from the concessions and merchandise that repeat visitors e.g. season pass-holders buy per visit. By creating exclusivity, those reluctant to buy a season pass, but eager to ride Goliath, will likely buy the season pass. Even if that opening day is their only visit, Six Flags still generated more revenue from the purchase of that season pass than a one-day admission. Of course, those one-time park attendees typically visit between mid-June and mid-August, so this is really a matter of attracting those that are able to visit the park more than once per season e.g. those that live within two hours of the park

Edited by Intaman

It's good marketing for SFGAm for more people to purchase season passes. I was at X-Flight's season pass exclusive opening day back in May 2012 and there were a lot of people getting turned down at the entrance. However, as I went through Hometown Square after getting a couple rides in on X-Flight, I saw a lot of people upgrading their tickets to season passes just to go on X-Flight that day. It might not seem fair, but it's actually pretty smart on SFGAm's part. It's also a good way for the ride crew to get some more experience on real crowds.

It's good marketing for SFGAm for more people to purchase season passes. I was at X-Flight's season pass exclusive opening day back in May 2012 and there were a lot of people getting turned down at the entrance. However, as I went through Hometown Square after getting a couple rides in on X-Flight, I saw a lot of people upgrading their tickets to season passes just to go on X-Flight that day. It might not seem fair, but it's actually pretty smart on SFGAm's part. It's also a good way for the ride crew to get some more experience on real crowds.

Think so! This is an excellent idea for a park. Great marketing plan on this. I think Goliath needs a whole week of season pass holder exclusive ride opening.

I'm going to guess they will do open it kind of like SFFT with Iron Rattler. One day was Gold Pass only, next day was all season pass. Then it open to the public. Now what would be nice for all the local TPR members is if they were allowed to come to the media event.

I'm going to guess they will do open it kind of like SFFT with Iron Rattler. One day was Gold Pass only, next day was all season pass. Then it open to the public. Now what would be nice for all the local TPR members is if they were allowed to come to the media event.

That's how I got to the Batman Backwards media day. And then I got kicked out for talking about Six Flags.