TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It's bizarre, that YEARS later now, they are still sitting around...right? Do you think they had some thought of putting them somewhere, or literally couldn't find the money to have them shipped elsewhere? Very strange.

It's too bad, while I guess that "they know what they're doing" that ride certainly did always seem to have a line and was a nice family ride. Ahh, just add it to the sounds of the park I miss (the putt-putting of those old engines (and the squealing of the brakes), the whirring of the Sky Whirl motors, the rumbling of Tdal Wave etc).

Is Outlaw Run loud? Goliath and Outlaw Run are the same type of wooden coasters, so that could give a good idea of how loud it is going to be.

I actually don't believe it makes very much noise. It will be way less noisy than American Eagle, and probably a lot of the other coasters in the park.

California's great america still has their auto ride under the original name to boot Barney Old Filed raceway I believe. But unless they need new cars or something which shouldn't be an issue there's no point, I really am starting to wonder why were receiving this ride Yet Another Goliath. I just would rather see something that fit the theme or was in Yukon Territory as the only attractions are camp cartoon or whatever it's called loggers run and Little Dipper kinda.

Look at county fairs attractions American Eagle ok it's got the whole USA thing going its a woodie that fits the theme well enough. Demon and Turn of the Century I mean its just like eagle for TOTC vague but still a part of county fair Demon no it's got it's own theme if the park would ever restore it fully. Buccaneer battle no just no I understand the need for something in De lay ja vus spot but from my experience its the least popular water ride. Revolution fits the bill of a fair ride themed to Americana works. X-Flight I mean not really unless county fair is like kings island with X-Base shooting of from Coney Mall but on a smaller scale. And apparently fiddlers fling which is not themed at all but it's the generic tilt a whirl, Dare Devil Dive nothing to say there.

Well that wasn't as bad as I was expecting i couldn't poke as many holes in themeing good job County Fair

^Just about every ride- with the exception of the Southwest Territory and Mardi Gras- no longer fits the themed areas of the park. As long as Goliath kicks ass, I honestly don't really care, and I actually feel Goliath IS an appropriate name for the new coaster. If the largest drop and fastest overall wooden coaster isn't "Goliath", then I don't know what is!

It really did seem like the park was trying to get back to theming with the Mardi Gras area - with Rajin' and Jester's etc. Now they're yanking the main attraction out of that area, it will be interesting to see if they make an effort to theme that spot properly or not going forward.

Shockwave was one of the first "uhhhh" disregards for theming that I can recall. They obviously followed that up with Superman (also not a fit). Was The Edge the first new install that didn't really fit the theme of the area it was installed? Maybe that was the "example" used when new rides were being considered, and themes didn't match - "well, we put The Edge in there and that didn't fit, so how big of a deal is it?"

I guess those that were around are a bit spoiled by the whole atmosphere of theming from the Marriott days - with the Gurnee park (I guess) making more of an attempt to maintain theme, any time it falls short it's a bit more noticeable?

I always loved the theming of the Tidal Wave based Yankee Harbor. From the coaster's theming to the lighthouse to the Yankee Clipper, that whole area really did have the feeling of a east coast oceanside town. Batman ultimately replacing that ride was GREAT (as Batman's spot in rollercoaster history/evolution is big), but was definitely a nod towards "we're worried more about marketing/brand than some silly area theming". Not saying they were wrong, as a bunch of rope "fencing" doesn't get you the same bang for your buck as some logo'd merch being sold next to a big ole rollercoaster.....but the overall theming definitely suffered.

SW Territory was a really pleasant surprise, I think it far surpassed any expectation out there - including the original plan for the "Great Southwest".

Anyhoo, it is what it is - I'm just glad they make some attempt to maintain what theming is left.

yeah, I miss the themes that Great America used to have.

The problem is with the takeover of parks by media/ film conglomerates who think that tying a ride to a movie somehow increases either park attendance or movie attendance -- when, in fact, I suspect is does neither. Days of Thunder ride simulator anyone? I bet The Demon has more lasting brand recognition than any movie-based tie ride.

To the best of my knowledge, the Demon's track was never submerged at either park. The closest the track came to water was on the entrance to the corkscrews, as it passed the waterfall. Not really sure what I'm looking at at 1:28, although that's what SFGAm's corkscrews have felt like for the past five years or so.

EDIT: Well, shut my mouth. It's difficult to see, but the track (not the rails) is submerged at one point in that vid. I'd hazard a guess that's because of some one time water level abberation (flooding?) at the CA version, because IL's has never been like that. Good eye, mate. Good eye.

Best I can tell, it's flooded at the lowest point coming out of the second corkscrew. It probably never got any higher than that, I'm assuming the park wouldn't operate the ride if the water level rose enough to actually contact the train.

I miss the days that waterfall looked like tomato soup. Then it went clear, and then intermittently. I'm always hoping for a permanent return.

While i'm excited for Goliath, I would have thought that they'd wait longer to put in another coaster after X-Flight. Why do you think we're getting another coaster so soon, for more capacity since Iron Wolf and Ragin Cajun are gone?

I think it's because we had to wait 9 years since superman in 2003 until we got X-FLight.

People are never going to stop complaining about the ride's length are they? ... both Goliath and X Flight are monumental for Six Flags Great America... X Flight was the first original layout, and actually good capacity roller coaster the park got in 13 years (Since Raging Bull, that's right.)

Anyways, with all of these pictures of the plot of land being cleared, I heard from a source (though I don't trust it) that vertical construction of Goliath won't start until November... 6 months to build an entire wooden coaster seems very short. Anyone know anything about this?

• 2 weeks later...