TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ If I remember reading correctly, the Gerstlauer trains were designed by RMC, but built by Gerstlauer (please correct me if I'm wrong). Don't get me wrong, I bet RMC's trains are safe, but if I were in Six Flags shoes, I would go with the proven trains, given everything they're going through with Texas Giant. Do I really want them to go with Gerstlauer trains? No, because I don't want to see seat belts on a ride that doesn't need them.

^If that's true, we could be seeing a GG creation.

Right in between Hades and Voyage.

I'd love to see that, but I'd really be surprised if this were anything other than a Rocky Mountain project (absolutely fine by me). Short of seeing B&M dip their beak in the wooden coaster game, it's hard to see SFGAm messing this up- provided they go with one of Rocky Mountain/Intamin or (the long shot/pipe dream) Gravity Group.

I too am not a huge fan of the Wing Riders, but I certainly thought X-Flight is the best one in the US.

1. X-Flight

2. Wild Eagle (I do really like the first 1/2 of it, plus the view is amazing)

3. GateKeeper (I too had a lot of rattle in my ride, plus I could not breath at the end due to the restraints. I also found the layout a bit bland)

B&M and wood coasters don't be absurd! The only thing they've ever made with a wood coaster was Psyclones trains and those were basically oversized PTCS.

Short of seeing B&M dip their beak in the wooden coaster game was meant to help illustrate that whether the manufacturer ends up being Intamin, Rocky Mountain, or (somehow) Gravity Group, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them- nothing more.

Now that it's been touched upon, though, what is so absurd about a B&M wooden coaster? Surely, we've seen enough curiosities take place in the industry over the past 10 years or so that it shouldn't stop anyone's world from turning if they eventually gave it a shot- just like they'll eventually give launched coasters a shot. Remember how these coaster discussion boards were full of people who swore they (B&M) would never build taller than 230 feet (I'm pretty sure the number was 230)?

the manufacturer ends up being Intamin, Rocky Mountain, or (somehow) Gravity Group, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them

You could go wrong with Gravity Group. They have nice designs and made my second favorite coaster (The Voyage), but a lot of their rides are very rough. Not saying that they couldn't make a smooth coaster, but I don't think Six Flags would want to have to refurbish this ride every off-season just to keep it somewhat smooth.

I have no problem with Intamin coming in, but I bet Rocky Mountain is doing it.

I don't understand where Intamin comes into this, I know they've made one woodie in the past for Six Flags and have all of their other amazing woodies at other parks, but did they ever specify in any concepts or interviews that they'd be willing to experiment with inversions on woodies? I'd go with RMC since Six Flags hasn't built any Gravity Group coaters in the past

I signed up in case I'm able to go but I wished they would give you the instructions sooner than Wednesday night. It also depends on gas money if I'll make the trip or not. If the rides were open I would definitely go but I just don't have $40 in gas money to spend making a trip to Gurnee for an announcement that someone will probably have a live stream of or tweets.

I signed up in case I'm able to go but I wished they would give you the instructions sooner than Wednesday night. It also depends on gas money if I'll make the trip or not. If the rides were open I would definitely go but I just don't have $40 in gas money to spend making a trip to Gurnee for an announcement that someone will probably have a live stream of or tweets.

Especially if you live in Rockford. Traffic down I90 is terrible right now with that construction.

Especially if you live in Rockford. Traffic down I90 is terrible right now with that construction.

I-90 actually runs north to south beside where I live so it won't take me anywhere near the park. I take 173 almost all the way east from my house which is a good 70 miles or so, plus they're doing construction on 173 to add another lane to the road which has been a mess the last few years. It's almost as bad as I-90's construction.

A bit off the path of discussion... Greatamericaparks.com facebook page posted this picture today. I've never seen this one, and like it!

1231089_10151642303905959_30965343_n.jpg

Don't miss Whizzer with 3 trains around the lift. Very cool! Ye old "get in and go" coaster days.

That's great - I love those old Marriott's Great America photos. The Santa Clara park was my hometown park as a kid growing up, and Willard's Whizzer was my first real coaster. Loved it -- still do (the one at SFGam). I remember when they had 4 (maybe 5?) trains going at once.

I also miss the turn of the Century.

(This photo is Gurnee, obviously. Funny to see how little development there was around both parks when the first open, esp. Santa Clara.)