TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It was about the only time I felt like it was okay to have that opinion as an ACEr.

All us ACE members don't have the same opinions. Just like all us TPR members don't

Last time I would ever be a member, too. I like lab bars and not falling out, personally.

I've been an ACE member since 1986 and follow rules - always have, always will. Do a "few bad apples" really spoil the whole bunch? I've seen people in other coaster clubs doing really dumb - and illegal - things. I don't judge the whole group based on what a couple members have done. ACE definitely has flaws (a web page would be nice, it's 2013!) but so do all the clubs I've ever been a part of. Obviously, the good outweighs the bad (for me).

I've cringed at things coaster enthusiasts have done, not just ACE members. Good thing TPR and ACE have codes of conduct!

I'm crazy.

I wrote the book; you're in good company

Last time I would ever be a member, too. I like lab bars and not falling out, personally.

I've been an ACE member since 1986 and follow rules - always have, always will. Do a "few bad apples" really spoil the whole bunch? I've seen people in other coaster clubs doing really dumb - and illegal - things. I don't judge the whole group based on what a couple members have done. ACE definitely has flaws (a web page would be nice, it's 2013!) but so do all the clubs I've ever been a part of. Obviously, the good outweighs the bad (for me).

I've cringed at things coaster enthusiasts have done, not just ACE members. Good thing TPR and ACE have codes of conduct!

The culture of ACE seems to have *definitely* changed since 2000 when I had that experience, and I do judge everyone equally and individually. Having said that, the perception of ACE by many within the management side of parks is only now starting to change from what it was about 10 years ago. I have no issue with anyone joining, but for me the benefits - of which honestly lately there would have been none for me other than the newsletter - do not outweigh the 'getting put in the ACE camp' by those outside the club.

I fully support their intentions of preserving the history of tracked rides, as I think that the industry does a really bad job of tracing their history... which makes sense in some ways. When perhaps the most important founder of the industry says that his park isn't a museum, it's hard for others to treat their parks that way... but, on the flip side, the important advances that were made in the 80s, while often painful today, led to the awesome stuff we now have...

^Good way of looking at it. I have been in a few clubs, and I find each club has it's pros and cons. I love hanging out here at TPR and watching the great videos. I can't get any of that through ACE. But seeing that I really like old classic stuff (I still miss Geauga Lake's Big Dipper) it makes sense for me to be an ACE member - they have a vested interest in preservation (see Mission Beach Giant Dipper, etc.).

I'm ready for Raging Bull backwards!

I would definitely make the trip to ride that. Raging Bull is my favorite steel coaster and my third favorite coaster all around.

I've not been to SFGAm since 2002, but if they ran Raging Bull Backwards I would do everything possible to make the trip!

Hello all, i have a question a few pages back or somewhere else i heard that american eagle is running backwards already is this true? o and a funny pov ive posted in different threads enjoy!

Not yet they will do it for Fright Fest, now it's Batman:TR until July 7th then viper will go backwards July 8th til August 26

I went to the park today for the IgNight preview, and overall I have to say I was pretty impressed. Some parts where a bit cheesy, but the singing was good and the technology in the show was great. They pulled off some really cool things with the projections and pyrotechnics and it's definitely unlike anything else the park has ever done before.

I went to the park today for the IgNight preview, and overall I have to say I was pretty impressed. Some parts where a bit cheesy, but the singing was good and the technology in the show was great. They pulled off some really cool things with the projections and pyrotechnics and it's definitely unlike anything else the park has ever done before.

I also saw IgNight tonight! From a technology and visual standpoint, the show was spot on. The projected fireworks turning into real fireworks really blew my mind! Such a neat effect. I feel that the 3D looking effects worked best; the flipping tiles, the heart snake going through doors, etc. 4K projectors never fail to impress. The storyline seemed nearly impossible to follow and really distracted from what could have been an incredible show. Parts of the show were also "uncomfortably cheesy" as my friends and I put it, where you were almost embarrassed to be watching. I hope as time goes by, they evolve the show into different concepts. I think the show would be better as a more "music driven" production than a storyline. Play top 40 songs, get the audience to sing, dance, and clap along! Guest interaction is a must to generate the type of energy this show lacked. My real hope: A horror themed show for Fright Fest!

then viper will go backwards July 8th til August 26

How did you find this out? I just searched the Internet and I can't find anywhere that says it.

And WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????????????????

Edit: NVMD. Just saw it. But WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????? This makes no sense. Why don't they just add a new coaster? Plus everyone I know likes the rides better when they were forwards.

Edit: NVMD. Just saw it. But WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????? This makes no sense. Why don't they just add a new coaster? Plus everyone I know likes the rides better when they were forwards.

It's a cheap and effective way to promote a ride by offering a new ride experience.

I rode Dark Knight three times on Wednesday and it seemed like each ride was different with different effects going off. Seems like whatever sets them off isn't working right, but there were a few that never went off on any ride.

How did you find this out? I just searched the Internet and I can't find anywhere that says it.

You can literally Google the words "Viper Backwards" and it's the first thing that comes up. It's also the subtitle of this thread.

This is a last time I'll state my opinion on why the Dark Knight Coaster is an extreme let down.

The park already had a mouse. That was all they needed. I guess SFGAm either wanted to bump up the coaster count or try to put in a dark ride so they had one.

But the dark ride effects are half-a$$ed and the only successfully themed part of the experience is the pre-show room through to the loading area. The roller coaster is pretty much a boring mouse in dim light with neon "HAHA"'s written all over the walls, and a few statues placed near the track that are of Batman. It feels like a slow romp through a warehouse.

If the pre-show is gone, the ride loses its only theme-ing. Why not remove the embarrassment that is the failed theme-ing on the ride? If they turned off all the lights and added a few lighting effects similar to Space Mountain, the ride would be a lot more interesting IMO. They don't even have to remove the props already there if they can keep them turned off. In the pitch black nobody can even see what is there.

And why has there even been comparisons on Dark Knight and Rock n Roller Coaster. RNR is a launched coaster with loops, speed, intensity, on-board audio by an amazing band, and good enough theme-ing. I mean, the whole plot is that you are driving to an Aerosmith concert on a highway. Audio-Animatronics would've been a blur and wouldn't have made any sense. The ride accomplishes what it needed to. DN did not.

There is no reason why Sally Corporation couldn't have made Jokers, clowns, Batmans, etc. to be placed in slow areas of the ride. But I see no reason why SF would even do that at this point. Just theme it towards space exploration and remove all of the lighting except for a few light tunnels or something cool. A ride in complete darkness like Space Mountain makes the ride seem faster than it is.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

On a positive note, the projection system on Ignite is freaking awesome.

On a negative note, the singers are bad. Even for a Six Flags show. I felt embarrassed watching the show.

^Is there anybody who really thinks The Dark Knight is that great to the point that this rant was needed, especially over five years after the ride opened?

The ride was added to the parks as a way to tie in to an insanely successful intellectual property and satisfy management's overflowing desire at the time to add family-friendly attractions across the Six Flags chain (see Thomas Town and Wiggles World for further proof). There is no purpose in altering the attraction at this point in time--it does what it was meant to do and nothing more.

At the end of the day, you need to remember that Six Flags didn't build this ride to satisfy you or any other coaster enthusiast. The ride was built for the general public that buys tickets when they see a new coaster added to their "home park," especially one that ties in with one of the most successful and popular comic book films in the history of cinema. It may not bring people into the park now like it might have in the year or two that the ride was first marketed, but is still a functioning roller coaster that ties into the still-profitable franchise while satisfying the needs of the guest looking for a family-friendly attraction.

I can see why you were disappointed with this attraction, but it is by no means a failure when you consider why it was built, what it was built to be and what it continues to do for the park.

And why has there even been comparisons on Dark Knight and Rock n Roller Coaster. RNR is a launched coaster with loops, speed, intensity, on-board audio by an amazing band, and good enough theme-ing. I mean, the whole plot is that you are driving to an Aerosmith concert on a highway. Audio-Animatronics would've been a blur and wouldn't have made any sense. The ride accomplishes what it needed to. DN did not.

Because YOU brought up the comparison, about five pages back....

Edited by mcjaco