TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

If anyone is going to the park on opening day, Six Flags Great America is offering $20 tickets if you buy online.

So opening day tickets at $19.81.. and regular parking is 20 bucks?

I knew there would be a day when parking at SFGAm would be more expensive than admission

^ I agree the only thing viper needs is a lift hill motor that does not slow down at the top.

I sure hope Viper won't see that kind of modification. The ride is great as is.

This may sound crazy, but I've rode Viper when the park first opened. The train didn't slow down at the top of the hill, it just went straight over. But I rode again later that same day, and it did slow down at the top. I know I'm not the only one that noticed this. Has anyone else experienced this or give an explanation as to why? I'm sure it has to do with wear and tear throughout the day, but I could be totally wrong.

The only logical reasoning behind the train slowing is that the crew is being efficient and sending the train at (or in this case it sounds like below) interval. The biggest example of this can be found on the Beast at Kings Island. The train moves slowly up the first lift until the second lift is cleared. I can't remember what coaster it was that did it the other way, where if the train reaches 2/3 of the way up the lift and the block isn't clear, it slows down to allow the other train the time to pass.

Again, this is just a guess. While I'm not familiar with how Viper operates or the mechanics behind that specific ride, I've worked a lot of different wooden coasters out there and know their maintenance procedures and quirks. If the lift motor is slowing the train down at the top of the hill sporadically, that's a maintenance problem and sounds like it's time to bring in a replacement motor.

The only logical reasoning behind the train slowing is that the crew is being efficient and sending the train at (or in this case it sounds like below) interval. The biggest example of this can be found on the Beast at Kings Island. The train moves slowly up the first lift until the second lift is cleared. I can't remember what coaster it was that did it the other way, where if the train reaches 2/3 of the way up the lift and the block isn't clear, it slows down to allow the other train the time to pass.

Again, this is just a guess. While I'm not familiar with how Viper operates or the mechanics behind that specific ride, I've worked a lot of different wooden coasters out there and know their maintenance procedures and quirks. If the lift motor is slowing the train down at the top of the hill sporadically, that's a maintenance problem and sounds like it's time to bring in a replacement motor.

It does work fine for the first 2-3 hours of operation after that it slows down. I live 5 min from the park and its been doing that for the last 3 years, not sure what the problem is and it does not take anything away from the ride but it does scare new people that it might get stuck at the top.

I think it did that on the Midwest tour 2010 ERT but can't remember since I'm so used to it.

I plan on being there on opening day, but according to the weather it may rain. Do you think it's worth an hours drive there and back if nothing will be running? I know someone already asked, but is anybody else planning on doing opening day?

Opening day at Great America turned out pretty good today. We did get a little rain, but it never lasted very long. I was able to ride every coaster today. Look what I found in the station at each coaster.

IMG_3404-1.JPG.ef51fe145197f0ba2efaebde8adc4116.JPG

New Sports Bottle Holders

Here are a few pictures of the water park expansion.

IMG_3405-1.JPG.0625ece68c57e6ba207a59c064f9fdc3.JPG

Wipeout - Double Funnel Raft Slide

IMG_3410-1.JPG.823632562ce3f759cd1e7e5b2a7cefc3.JPG

Wipeout & Dive Bomber

IMG_3414-1.JPG.c17e73ddb949d59ed61c6217809cc6d0.JPG

Mansoon Lagoon

IMG_3429-1.JPG.4b6302a9eec2f91a909cd14db4546413.JPG

Dive Bomber & Mega Wedgie

Really a pretty good opening day for the park. A few coasters went down for a bit but all were open, most for most of the day. Could have been much worse, though it was a bit cold.

Edited by ilrider

Opening day and some numbers are already missing? That's not a good sign!

Love that they're adding this, but if this is what it looks like opening day, I'm concerned.

Yeah, I saw them flying off at various rides. Seems like it would be a better idea to paint the numbers on or something.

It was a pretty nice opening day, crowds were light early on but got a bit heavier later. I was afraid the rain was going to be a bit of a problem, but it wasn't too bad and didn't last that long. Kidzopolis looked VERY generic and boring. The old Wiggles car ride that had boards displaying facts about different countries were gone and now the ride just scoots around a fenced in grassy area.

Also, the new Go-Kart area looks very plain. They took out a lot of structure and now the area is open to the service road in the middle of the park. Sad to see BBNP gone, but the Go-Karts are definitely a bigger money maker.

The old Wiggles car ride that had boards displaying facts about different countries were gone and now the ride just scoots around a fenced in grassy area.

They didn't even fully remove them, the poles are all standing. I'm hoping this means they'll put up some new boards in the near future, as I think it looks bad as is.

Few other updates:

- Little Dipper has some new art on the front cat replacing the stars.

- MagiQuest is gone and the area it used appears to be vacant. I personally hope it's used for something other than more games.

- As said a few pages back, some of the Camp Cartoon rides were removed from the website, as of yesterday they were still there.

- The antique cars are closed, and some construction has taken place in the SWF area. I didn't see any of the track removed however (although there was a large pile of rocks on part of it) so hopefully the rumor that it will return in 2012 will be true.

- The antique cars are closed, and some construction has taken place in the SWF area. I didn't see any of the track removed however (although there was a large pile of rocks on part of it) so hopefully the rumor that it will return in 2012 will be true.

Just adding that the antique cars aren't on the park map this season.

Love the lost articles display with all of the broken cell phones!

When we were at KD last week, some guy lost his phone on I-305 and was going off like he expected they were going to close the ride down while someone went inside the fence to retrieve it. One of the ride-op's gave him a form to fill out and he was going up and down the exit cursing and just going off.

Even funnier was that before he even realized he lost his phone, he struggled to get the OTSR up, knocked his hat off doing that and then just about tripped getting out of the train...and he didn't even seem like he was drunk - FAIL!

I didn't notice the cell phone box by any other coaster except Batman, but I wasn't really looking though. Wouldn't it make more sense to put them by the lo.ckers though and not halfway through the line? The Dark Knight thing seems a bit odd though, I'll have to remember to check it out the next time I go.