TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Although softer restraints on Iron Wolf won't fix its roughness, it would probably reduce the size of your headache when you get off. Don't forget why it's rough in the first place though. Check out the gap between the wheels and the track!

DSCN0965_800x600.JPG.2ce1fab87f207c20ac74e7336ec0d2fc.JPG

I don't really know what's going on with the kids areas at Great America. I just don't see why Six Flags would want to get rid of one when they're trying to focus on families. If they want to expand, I would think that they would look at the former Splash Water Falls area which is currently empty and get rid of the antique cars rather than take out an entire kids area.

I checked to see if the 2011 park map was up yet. It wasn't, but at the bottom of the page it says

Six Flags Great America has three kids areas just for young fans, including KIDZOPOLIS and Skull Island. 2011 Kids Map will be available online soon.

Link

^I'm thinking the Eurofighter as well. I'd be satisfied with that, since realistically, there just isn't room for a megacoaster in the park unless they some removed rides

If they removed Demon there would be a buttload of space (combined with Splashwater Falls / Antique Cars area). I know it's not likely to happen - especially since Iron Wolf is a far better candidate for removal.

Should be an exciting few years, though!

Cameron.

The important question is how many wild mouse coasters would fit in that space?

^I'm thinking the Eurofighter as well. I'd be satisfied with that, since realistically, there just isn't room for a megacoaster in the park unless they some removed rides

If they removed Demon there would be a buttload of space (combined with Splashwater Falls / Antique Cars area). I know it's not likely to happen - especially since Iron Wolf is a far better candidate for removal.

Should be an exciting few years, though!

Cameron.

Yep, I've noticed the space taking out Demon would leave there too, but I don't see it coming down, as rough as it is.

^Maybe it was just me, then. Nothing horrible, but I just thought the loops banged my head a little more than normal, but I've been riding the thing for 23 years now, so maybe I'm just looking for something to complain about. Now Iron Wolf, that thing is uncomfortable to the point I usually skip it. Used to be much smoother.

From Screamscape:

2012 - New Coaster - Rumor - (3/30/11) While it’s still a bit early to predict that this project is locked in, I’ve heard that there is a good chance that the new coaster planned for Six Flags Great America may be a copy of the ZacSpin style Green Lantern coaster going into Magic Mountain. It will likely have a unqiue theme of it’s own however, and go into the old big splash boat ride site. Look for the Antique Car ride that surrounds this site to likely be removed as well.

I must add, the new restraints may not be '2011' but 'future.' If they are what I'm hearing, they will be along the lines of those new Revolution restraints we've been seeing.

And what's going on at Demon is pretty interesting.. some 'cleaning' you might say? Nothing is being removed, but Demon is getting some work.

And I won't comment on Whizzer, you'll just have to feel the helixes yourself..

2011 is a year of improvements at Great America.

• 2 weeks later...

A few new shows are also coming this season, although only one has had the details announced.

We’ve got a new show in Grand Music Hall this year – managed to grab a photo as they hung the new sign today. Pop Fusion features all of your favorite hits from the past decade. Get ready to party like it’s 1999 as we sing and dance our way through the new millennium. Or rather, the professionals sing and dance. No one wants to hear me sing.

Link

The Pictorium is also getting a new show, and the Wiggles show is being replaced with Kidzopolis Challenge, an interactive game show.

This is probably the first year in like 5 years that i'm not getting a season pass to go. i only live about an hour from here and went almost every day over the last 4 or 5 summers. fright fest is probably my favorrite part though. i'm also glad that there's no more wiggles.

Although we pretty much knew this was happening, this is the first time I've seen it confirmed by the park.

In creating our new water park expansion, Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor, we were tasked with relocating our Go Karts to make space for the expansion. After careful consideration we made the decision to relocate the Go Karts to Bugs Bunny National Park in Yukon Territory. 4 smaller rides that were nearing the end of their lifespan were removed. Based upon the available locations for Go Karts, this decision would make the smallest impact on our product and offerings for our guests. Our new free water park expansion will offer several options for children and families, including an activity pool, 5 water slides, a surfing simulator and more. We are proud to continue to be one of the few parks in the country to provide two parks for one price. Our goal is to create a balance of rides and attractions for families and visitors of all ages to enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/nmk80/posts/10150155040041356

Six Flags Great America has sent us a press releasing regarding Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor.

New in 2011, The Best Water Park in the Nation…Just Got Bigger! Construction crews at Six Flags Great America are hard at work to make this summer Bigger, Better and Wetter! Construction is underway on Riptide Bay, an all-new 4 acre water park expansion of Hurricane Harbor, Six Flags Great America’s water park that initially opened in 2005. With the new expansion, Hurricane Harbor will span 20 acres and boast more rides and attractions than any other in the state. The expansion will also create 80 new jobs at the Gurnee theme park.

Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor will feature five new daring slides including first-of-its-kind Skybox drop speed slides. Bomb’s away as the floor drops out from beneath you and you free-fall 5 stories into the all-new Dive Bomber looping slides. Count to three inside Mega Wedgie’s launching capsule and feel the trap-style door under your feet drop, sending you shooting down an 80 degree plunge at 40 mph. Even race your friends on twin versions. New Riptide Bay features also include the only place to surf on Lake Michigan with our 5 foot wave-in-a-box Surf Rider, a double-funnel family raft slide, massive lagoon, luxury cabanas, gift shop and tiki snack bar. Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor opens Memorial Day weekend. Best of all, it’s FREE with a season pass or park admission.

Surf Rider - Double-Sided Surf Simulator

• A wave-in-a-box with 50,000 gallons of water flowing per minute
  • Five foot waves with speeds up to 30 mph
  • The double-sided feature allows two surfers at a time.
  • Guests can surf for FREE. Surfing lessons are available for a nominal fee. 48” min height.

Dive Bomber – Free-Fall Looping Slides

• First SuperLoop slides with a Skybox launching capsule in North America
  • Bomb’s away as the floor drops out from beneath you and you free-fall 5 stories into a looping slide.
  • Travel speeds up to at 40 mph down 5 stories.
  • Clear tubes allow spectators to see riders shoot down the slide.
  • Race a friend on twin versions of Dive Bomber. 48” min height.

Mega Wedgie – Free-Fall Speed Slides

• World’s first FreeFall slides with a Skybox launching capsule
  • Count to 3 inside Mega Wedgie’s launching capsule and feel the trap-style door beneath your feet drop
  • Shoot down the five story, 80 degree plunge at 40 mph
  • Race a friend on twin versions of Mega Wedgie. 48” min height.

Wipeout – Double-Funnel Family Raft Slide

• First outdoor slide of its kind in North America  A high-intensity slide that takes groups of 2-4 swirling on a raft through tight turns and two funnels.
  • Speed through 400 feet of enclosed tubes and plummet down a 35 foot drop. 48” min height.

Monsoon Lagoon – Family Activity Pool

• Relax and play with the whole family in this 14,000 square foot pool featuring a rockscaped waterfall and 7 spray columns.

5 o’clock Phil’s – Tiki Snack Bar

• Serving tropical drinks & snacks with outdoor seating

High Tide – Retail Store

• Featuring swimming apparel & souvenirs

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is going to the park on opening day, Six Flags Great America is offering $20 tickets if you buy online.

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee kicks off the 2011 season with a trip down memory lane on the first weekend in May, according to an April 28, 2011, press release from Six Flags. On opening weekend, the American Eagle roller coaster is being celebrated and park passes will be sold at a very special price online. Six Flags is located about 30 miles north of Chicago, Illinois.

The theme park celebrates 30 thrilling years of American Eagle, the iconic racing wooden coaster. The anniversary is marked with a special opening day ceremony and discounted admission. In honor of the year the coaster opened, fans of American Eagle can purchase a $19.81 ticket online good for opening weekend, May 7 and 8.

The American Eagle was built at Six Flags 30 years ago. In honor of the landmark, Six Flags has provided pictures of the giant roller coast as it was being built, which are attached in a slideshow.

American Eagle is the tallest, fastest and longest racing wooden roller coaster in the world. Built in 1981, it features a 147-foot drop, is 4,650 feet in length, travels at 66 mph and spans an area of 237,000 feet, nearly 5 football fields back-to-back. American Eagle has delivered over 45 million thrilling rides to families since it was built in 1981 and is home to “Tiny,” the famous 200-pound spider that makes her return to the side of America Eagle every Fright Fest.

Last summer the historic Little Dipper Roller Coaster came to Six Flags from Kiddieland.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a free water park, spectacular shows and three children’s themed areas.

Riptide Bay and Hurricane Harbor open Memorial Day weekend

New in 2011 – the Best Water Park in the Nation … Just Got Bigger! Riptide Bay adds four more acres of fun in the to Hurricane Harbor. The water park now boasting more slides and attractions than any other water park in the state! Features include 5 new daring slides, a double Surf Rider, massive lagoon, luxury cabanas, gift shop and new snack bar. Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor opens Memorial Day weekend. Best of all, it’s FREE with your season pass or park admission. Six Flags expanding with Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor

Link

Also, Screamscape mentioned that American Eagle and Viper will receive some work which will see the addition of Topper Track at some point this year. Parts of American Eagle could use it, especially the helixes, but does Viper need it? I know the past few seasons, Viper can be either amazing or bad, but even when its bad, it isn't rough, just slow with no airtime.

(4/29/11) I’m not sure when, but I’ve been told that we can expect some Topper Track to be installed onto Viper and American Eagle at some point this year. Will it be before the season starts... or in the fall? Anyone know more?

Link