TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm one of the people who goes to SFGAm for the coasters, I did the waterpark a few times (last time being in 2006 when Tornado was new), I haven't been in the waterpark since then, because it's just not that thrilling for me to be riding a water slide.

"I WANT A BIG COASTER - I WANT A BIG COASTER - I WANT A BIG COASTER" - what are you trying to say here, I don't think you're being clear enough? Seriously though, numerous people have pointed out that the main draw at SFGAm isn't coaster dorks, why do you refuse to accept that? I'm genuinely curious - is it conscience delusion, or some kind of mental issues? Because I have to say, you really do sound a bit like a two-year old throwing a tantrum.

Chang would have been a mediocre addition to the park (and I'm being very generous with "mediocre"). Corporate could see that, the park could see it, even 13 year-olds on TPR can see it. Why can't you? Chang would have be dumped out in the car-park, largely to rot away - much like Scream at SFMM. Had it been installed we would have been stuck with it for many many years .. no potential prototype, no cool (custom) floorless, or Eurofighter or heck - even a hyper-lite. Just .. Chang: A duplicate of probably the most unpopular coaster type ever created.

Yes it's been 9 years since we got a big/adult/kewl/grab-the-hand-cream-I'm-In-Love coaster, but SFGAm apparently continues to be among the top earning Six Flags parks in the chain - they are obviously doing something right, and they know a heck of a lot more about running a park than you (or I, or anyone on TPR) do. So please - we know you want a big coaster, but it's just not necessary to keep whinging on about it.

Cameron (Screeeeeeeeee!!!) Silver.

Yes it's been 9 years since we got a big/adult/kewl/grab-the-hand-cream-I'm-In-Love coaster, but SFGAm apparently continues to be among the top earning Six Flags parks in the chain - they are obviously doing something right, and they know a heck of a lot more about running a park than you (or I, or anyone on TPR) do. So please - we know you want a big coaster, but it's just not necessary to keep whinging on about it.

Cameron (Screeeeeeeeee!!!) Silver.

And with that, we end this conversation.

Cam is the best!

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple photos of the construction of the new water slides! I'm sure SFGAm has lots of experience at building new attractions in the snow... There is still over a foot of snow lying around that hasn't melted in over a month! Not sure if any vertical construction started, but building water slides shouldn't take as long as a roller coaster (not much testing needed...)

PIC1.jpg.30f2809f7b715144f3e2f9b9b9f6b269.jpg

I take it the Go Karts have been removed. One can only hope they don't relocate to the old

Splash Water Falls area, that area could be used for a much better attraction!

PIC2.jpg.cedf61b08efa38576ff2e366facb87e4.jpg

PIC3.jpg.275fcf2bfd1ef062fd0ff490b378cb9b.jpg

PIC4.jpg.d92b46c6e6de5d584fdfe97ed31afcdf.jpg

Pictures are from SFGAmWorld.

"Yes it's been 9 years since we got a big/adult/kewl/grab-the-hand-cream-I'm-In-Love coaster, but SFGAm apparently continues to be among the top earning Six Flags parks in the chain - they are obviously doing something right, and they know a heck of a lot more about running a park than you (or I, or anyone on TPR) do".

And easily tied as the best park in the chain (along with SFOT)...I might add!

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors are going around that Bug's Bunny National Park (Kid's Area) will be entirley removed in place of the new location for the Go Karts.

Somebody posted that on Facebook Thursday. That post has since been removed.

On the website they just list KIDZOPOLIS and Camp Cartoon but no Bug's Bunny National Park. http://www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/rides/KidsRides.aspx

What do you think?

Bugs Bunny National Park seemed to be pretty popular this past season with the opening of Little Dipper, so I wouldn't count on it. I know the go-karts bring in money, but it wouldn't make sense to remove a popular and recently reopened section of the park for an up-charge attraction. It just doesn't make sense, especially when there is a large open area on the other side of the park.

• 2 weeks later...
On the website they just list KIDZOPOLIS and Camp Cartoon but no Bug's Bunny National Park. http://www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/rides/KidsRides.aspx

BBNP rides haven't been listed on the site since last season.

A few odd rumors have popped up on Screamscape. Should be interesting to see how they play out.

The one rumor that keeps coming back over and over to me is that a new track for the Go-Karts may possibly be added to a section of the old Bugs Bunny National Park area. I’m not 100% of this one, so keep your eyes peeled for any activity in that area as spring approaches. One more odd rumor has come in as well, claiming that the park could be looking at bringing in the S&S Thrill Shot from SF Magic Mountain as well later this season.

On a side note, I’ve also heard a rumor that the old Great America Raceway (antique cars) ride may also not operate for the 2011 season. Given that the cars run around perimeter of the former shoot the chutes ride removed a couple of seasons ago, I’ve got a feeling that if this is true, this is likely going to be the site of the rumored 2012 coaster project.

I would personally hate to see BBNP go. I loved it as a kid, much more than Camp Cartoon, and still like to occasionally stroll through it.

The Thrill Shot, on the other hand, is a rumor I would love to see come true. I've always been intrigued by them and have been looking forward to riding one. I did hear though it had a lot of down time at SFMM, so hopefully they would refurbish/upgrade it before handing it off to another park.

As for the antique cars not operating next year,(never operates for the full season anyways,) I think we could sacrifice that for a new coaster.

The Thrill Shot, on the other hand, is a rumor I would love to see come true. I've always been intrigued by them and have been looking forward to riding one. I did hear though it had a lot of down time at SFMM, so hopefully they would refurbish/upgrade it before handing it off to another park.

As for the antique cars not operating next year,(never operates for the full season anyways,) I think we could sacrifice that for a new coaster.

From what i've heard, those rides are actually pretty boring and have awful capacity.

I don't see why they would get rid of an entire kids area just for one new attraction or an upcharge attraction at that. Little Dipper helped draw in more crowds to that area of the park and isn't Six Flags still trying to cater to families? Also, there is a big chunk of land where Splash Water Falls was which could be even bigger if the removed the antique cars. I would guess that they're leaving Bugs Bunny National Park alone and the Splash Water Falls/antique cars area would be home to either go-karts or a new coaster in 2012.

• 1 month later...

No new information on BBNP/Go carts and the thrill shot, but the website has been updated to include the new Riptide bay rides!

Hang-10 at Surf Rider, race a friend on twin versions of Dive Bomber & Mega Wedgie, slide on a raft with your family on Wipeout or kick back and relax at Monsoon Lagoon. Riptide Bay is great for the whole family!

Surf Rider - Double Sided Surf Simulator

50,000 gallons of water flow per minute in this wave-in-a-box. Surf 5 foot waves with speeds up to 30 mph. The double-sided feature allows 2 guests to surf at the same time. Guests surf for FREE. Surfing lessions are available for a nominal fee

Dive Bomber - Free Fall Looping Water Slide

Dive Bomber is the first super loop slide with sky-box launching capsule in North America!

Bomb's away as the floor drops out from beneath you and you free-fall 5 stories into a looping water slide. Travel speeds up to 40 mph down 5 stories. Clear tubes allow guests to see riders shooting down the slide. Race a friend on twin versions of Dive Bomber.

Mega Wedgie

Mega Wedgie is the world's first free-fall slide with a sky-box launching capsule!

Count to 3 inside the capsule and watch the trap-style door beneath your feet drop, sending you shooting down an 80 degree drop. Slide down 5 stories at 40 mph.

Wipeout

Wipeout is the first outdoor slide of its kind in North America!

This high-intensity water slide takes groups of 2-4 swirling on a raft through tight turns and 2 funnels. Speed through 400 feet of enclosed tubes and plummet down a 35 foot drop

Monsoon Lagoon

Relax and play with the whole family. This 14,000 square foot pool features 2 interactive play elements, a rockscaped waterfall and 7 spray columns.

Don't Forget!

Check out High Tide — Riptide Bay's retail store featuring swimming apparel, gifts, souvenirs and more.

Take a load off at 5 O'Clock Phil's — a tiki-inspired snack bar featuring an outdoor seating area, tropical drinks and snacks.

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/rides/RiptideBay.aspx

Here's what I believe/know: Expansion to waterpark this year----yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antique cars going the way of "The DoDo", possibly mid-season.

New coaster- former Splash Water Falls area/ Antique Cars area----however, the footprint isn't huge.... My predictions- The new coaster we are getting for '12 will either be a SFOG Dare Devil Dive Clone, or (hopefully) A B&M "Gardaland" clone----

I just want a new coaster with a "Decent Capacity"

I'm not that fussy!

^I'm thinking the Eurofighter as well. I'd be satisfied with that, since realistically, there just isn't room for a megacoaster in the park unless they some removed rides, and I don't think SF is going to fork out the cash for anything huge in the short term.

A Euro-fighter would be a great ride, although I'm not sure the capacity would work at Great America. While that seems the most likely if a new coaster were to be added, what about a launched coaster like Anubis? While it would have the same capacity issues, it would be something unique for the park, and it would be able to perform the same elements with the exception of the beyond vertical drop. Although would a 90* drop be that big of a difference to the ride experience? Either one of those would make a great addition to the park.

A zac-spin would also be a great ride, but the park would face the same, if not worse, capacity issues. However, it would be a very unique ride to the GP, and it would fit well in the Splash Water Falls/Great American Raceway site.

Edited by Airtime&Gravity

^The park used to put in first of its kind/world's tallest/fastest coasters, so something fairly unique would be cool. V2 is low capacity, so while it's an issue to consider, I don't know if it will stop SF.

I can imagine the park having an interest in the new B&M wingrider style coaster, just because they have a good relationship with B&M by having their first ever coaster, first invert, first hyper, and one of their first flyers. They'd have to get creative with the layout but I think it could be squeezed in. Probably unlikely, just a thought I had.

I can imagine the park having an interest in the new B&M wingrider style coaster, just because they have a good relationship with B&M by having their first ever coaster, first invert, first hyper, and one of their first flyers. They'd have to get creative with the layout but I think it could be squeezed in. Probably unlikely, just a thought I had.

To continue onto this, having the wingrider style coaster being turned into a 4D B&M, might be a striking idea, but like mentioned above, Six Flags and B&M have had many firsts, so it could be likely.

Has the Great American Raceway departure been confirmed?

^^ They didn't take it off the site when they added the Riptide Bay rides. The rumor on Screamscape is that it will just be SBNO for this season while construction takes place for the 2012 project.

To add the rumor about BBNP leaving for go karts..

..theming for the train sitting in the parks ride graveyard.

Link

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the MaqiQuest page has also been taken done, so that will also probably be leaving with the rest of the IPs.

At first I rebelled this Riptide Bay idea, but now I really like it. Free Huricane Harbor is a huge reason SFGAm is the #1 most profitable Six Flags park. And Im sure it will be packed every day. I'll be expecting smaller lines on coasters all year. Anyways, I'm almost sure 2012 will be the year of coaster for GAm. A cheap waterpark addition that will bring lots of people to the park can only lead to more profit for Great America. We havent gotten a coaster since 2008, and our last thrill coaster was S:UF in 2003. After everything that's happened with Chang and this waterpark, it really feels like its our time. Plus being the most profitable park, it almost seems we deserve a coaster. Im sure a Green Lantern (SFMM) or a Dare Devil Dive clone could fit in the Splash Water Falls area, especially with the Raceway now gone. We'll see...

Also hearing reports of some pretty big changes around the park. Rumors are Whizzer is getting retracking, Demon is getting mechanical and themeing touchups, and Iron Wolf getting new restraints. Stay Tuned!

^ We haven't gotten a new coaster since last year.

You mentioned that we deserve a new coaster being the most profitable park, and as much as I would like a new coaster, we need to think of it from the companies stand point. We haven't received any major coaster in eight years now, yet we continue to be the most profitable park year after year, the park is doing just fine as is. Considering Six Flags doesn't have the money to give a major coaster to each park, they are going to give them to parks that aren't the most profitable to help raise their profits, before giving one to a park that from a profit point of view, doesn't really need one. I am excited to see/hear about changes to Demon and Iron Wolf though!

^I'm thinking the Eurofighter as well. I'd be satisfied with that, since realistically, there just isn't room for a megacoaster in the park unless they some removed rides

If they removed Demon there would be a buttload of space (combined with Splashwater Falls / Antique Cars area). I know it's not likely to happen - especially since Iron Wolf is a far better candidate for removal.

Should be an exciting few years, though!

Cameron.

Will new restraints really solve Iron Wolf's roughness? I thought the problems came from the trains being built by a different company, Giovanola I believe. I hope the new restraints help, but I was under the impression that new trains would be needed, not just new restraints.

Also, going through the SFGAM website, it seems like some rides from Camp Cartoon have been removed. From my knowledge of the park, and looking at the satellite view, the rides were in the back of the land. I'm positive there was a small ferris wheel in addition to other rides. Currently, the only rides listed are the Scooby Doo crazy bus, Spacley's Sprocket Rockets, and some water ride. Is there any word that BBNP's rides are going to be relocated, or will the back of Camp Cartoon Closed off?

If it is closed off, there is a lot of available land if they also tear down the unused theater back there. The space looks like it would be large enough to hold a Euro-fighter, and it would be easy to have a queue start on the same path that leads to the Logger's Run in the same area.