TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

During the Q&A on TPR day, we were told that the park is currently over populated with water rides and that Hurricane Harbor doesn't need any new slides at the moment, so we shouldn't expect anything water related.

That''s not how I heard it. I thought that they said the dry side of the park had a lot of water rides, all of which (except Buccaneer Battle) have long lines on hot days. To me it seemed like they were done adding water rides in the dry park for now, but they said nothing about the water park getting a new slide.

It sounds like a plunge slide to me.... Which I actually don't mind at all. The water park really DOES need some more slides because it is always hitting capacity all the time mid-season. I think this is a good move considering that six flags decided to change where Chang would go so last minute.

Do you really expect a major ride when there is such little time to plan and such?

But I can't wait to hear all of the fuss and whining on the Facebook fan-page as more of the puzzle pieces get removed.

^People are already complaining about it being a water slide, but of course that is to be expected, especially at Facebook.

While I'd have preferred a new thrill ride or a giant Ferris wheel like the park president seemed to want, a water park expansion, even if just one slide, will still be a great addition to the park. The water park always fills to capacity, and it seemed to be missing another signature slide. While it has a great selection of slides, I am surprised that it doesn't have a speed slide.

So far, I've read rumors about it being a simple speed slide, to a deluge type ride, to even a pair of those new looping water slides. Any of those would be a great addition to Hurricane Harbor, and any one would be a signature slide it needs.

Also, how would 130ft compare to other speed slides? There seems to be a sizable gap between 130 and foot, which makes me think it might say 1300 foot (long hidden). If true, I'd expect something closer to Deluge.

I'm bored with my home park, GAm, frankly, so to have Chang dangled in front of us in the media then snatched away was disappointing. We just went to King's Island a couple weeks back for the first time. That park has recently gotten Firehawk, the awesome Diamondback, and now Windseeker for 2011. Guess I can't expect much from a SF company trying to emerge from bankruptcy, especially when the park is already popular, but a waterslide? This is why there is little drawing me to GAm anymore.

^ You already have Raging Bull, which is an older model hyper, but B&M's are mostly "cookie cutters" and don't change all that much anyway. Not to mention you also have Superman, which is miles better than Firehawk, or any Vekoma Flyer for that matter, in my opinion. And those are only two of an already-stellar coaster collection. I don't know why you're complaining. I would LOVE to have a massive park like that near me.

Ok, someone needs to explain this to me because I can't answer it myself. Why is it SO bad if we get a new water slide?! Remember, the park did just receive 4 new additions this year, so it makes perfect sense that they aren't looking to spend millions on a new coaster next year. And with the crowds HH gets, it needs a new addition more than the dry side. Especially this year I've noticed how even on days you would expect to be very crowded (Fri, Sat and Sun) the dry rides will have little to no wait but theres still a line of people waiting to get into HH. Also, we know VERY little about this slide, so you have very little to complain about. All we (think) we know about it is that it will 130 feet, but if you saw the leaked picture, there was a pretty big space between 130 and foot, so even that we can't be sure about. Can we please just be happy that were getting something??

^ You already have Raging Bull, which is an older model hyper, but B&M's are mostly "cookie cutters" and don't change all that much anyway. Not to mention you also have Superman, which is miles better than Firehawk, or any Vekoma Flyer for that matter, in my opinion. And those are only two of an already-stellar coaster collection. I don't know why you're complaining. I would LOVE to have a massive park like that near me.

Call me spoiled, I guess, but you would probably get tired of it after awhile. I live ten minutes away and spent almost every day of my teen years there, so maybe I got burned out. I'm not saying KI has a better collection of rides, just that the recent additions to GAm have been underwhelming. I know it's a good coaster collection, but the only ones that really excite me anymore are Raging Bull, Viper, and Batman: TR, and they have all been there for a long time. I read about all these newer top coasters around the country and wish we had just one. I'm not the only local with the same thoughts. We only went there this summer because we had four free tickets. We never go to the water park because it takes two days to do both, so a slide doesn't excite me after thinking Chang was here.

Saying that you wish we had a newer top ten coaster...and then saying you wish we had gotten Chang does not go together. You would honestly have rather gotten a 14 year old coaster then wait a another year or two and get something new?

If I knew we were getting a top new coaster, then I would wait. But Chang would have been enough to satisfy me for a bit, and my biggest point was Chang>water slide. Look, everyone can try to tell me I have no right to complain, but these are my feelings, and I know every square inch of that park like the back of my hand, so I think I have a valid perspective, and I just really don't care if I go there or not each year. Nobody's going to change my opinion. Heck, the article in the local paper featuring TPR's day here a couple weeks back admitted most enthusiasts see our coasters as just so-so.

I never said top 10. Someone put those words in my mouth, if you look back. I just said a top coaster. That's what GAm used to put in. Now, the parking is a ripoff, we have people who can afford the Flash Pass cutting in front of us like we're some third class visitors, and the last really good coaster to go in was Raging Bull, 12 years ago (subjective, but my opinion).

If that makes me less of an enthusiast, so be it, but we much more enjoyed our trips to Michigan's Adventure (yep, you read that right), Indiana Beach, and Kings Island in the last two summers, for the very reason that they were better for my family, with cheaper parking, cheaper admission, better kids' rides, and shorter lines, but still some great thrill rides. My kids all liked KI better than GAm this summer. The family element is my top criteria! That's why I seek the most bang for my buck, and it's elsewhere these days, even with the travel. My kids like big coasters too, BTW.

I feel fortunate to have grown up so close to a major park, but I just don't enjoy it as much anymore. I have good memories there, so don't think I hate it. I like riding some of the same rides with my kids my parents did with me. But, everyone has a different opinion, and why do I have to love a new waterslide or worship the park or I get jumped on? Yikes! I stand behind my feelings, and I'm not going to fight with everyone all day. Enjoy the new rumored waterslide, and I'll wait for something more exciting.

Edited by ilrider

Hey, everyone has a different opinion, but why do I have to love a new waterside or worship the park or I get jumped on? Yikes!

The tone in which you make your point makes all the difference.

As some have said, we already have an amazing collection of coasters. Lately it seems that the park is trying to round off the park more and fix-up some of the areas. Which I am all for, seeing as a well rounded park brings in a wider range of people.

Now, I may not be extremely excited for a water park addition. But this doesn't mean I won't check it out, or that I'll start hating on the park for INCREASING the capacity of a water park that fills up daily in mid-summer.

They know what they are doing, they're not dumb. I mean, look at how well Six Flags is coming back from it's debt. They made an amazing come back, while still managing to add some nice rides and touches to parks along the way.

Edit: I just got a text from "GriffyTiffy" saying that Whizzer doesn't have any ad's on it. Justice!!!

Honestly, I'm on his side of this. SFGAm really hasn't added a "big" ride since 03 with Superman. And to an enthusiast, that ain't much. He's not saying that it's a bad park, he's just saying that they haven't added a new big coaster to renew his interest, and that's a very respectable claim. He would simply rather have a new, big coaster over a water park expansion, that's not necessarily some outlandish thought.

^^^ Indiana Beach is appalling this year; operations are terrible, and the whole park has completely lost that amazing atmosphere and engery it had just 3 years ago. Michigan's Adventure? Seriously? The park is a sand-trap. I'm sorry you're bored with SFGAm, but that's really not their problem. One could live next door to a Disney park, or SDC, or even Europa Park for 30 years, and they'd likely get bored too.

^Atem, companies add major rides to parks I order to fill holes, or boost attendance. Not sure if you've been to SFGAm, but it's extremely well rounded - in that regards it absolutely kicks SFMMs butt (and I love SFMM). To be honest, I don't want barf-em-up B&M floor-less coasters built in the parking lot, crap like that doesn't make a park better. In fact I think SFGAm would be better if two of the coasters were removed (Iron Wolf and Demon), obstencivly to make room for some new areas and new flats.

I'm very amused that it's the high-school kids telling the adults to suck it up, and stop whining.

Cameron.

(I'm also laughing about Michiigans Adventure..!)

I'm sorry you're bored with SFGAm, but that's really not their problem. One could live next door to a Disney park, or SDC, or even Europa Park for 30 years, and they'd likely get bored too.

Yeah, I think that's just the way the human brain is wired. No matter how good something is, you eventually get bored. That's why some restaurants feature those "chef's tasting menus" of several different courses. Variety cures boredom.

I mean I completely understand where everyone is coming from, but you can't really blame someone for wanting a new thrill ride. Honestly, I'm not a fan of a B&M, so if my options were Chang, or wait a few years more and get something that helps out the park better/is more thrilling, then hell yeah I'd wait. But I mean if I lived 10 minutes away from the park and hadn't gotten anything really that spectacular in 7 years, then I definitely might want something big to get me to go back. That's not saying that the park isn't well rounded, it really does look like the most well rounded park out of ALL of the SF parks (and this is coming from an SFMM fanboy), he's just saying that it needs something big to capture HIS, yes, his attention back.

However, yeah, I do agree that he's probably biased on liking all of those other parks more. Of course someone's going to like all of the new stuff in comparison to the same old park. I mean I enjoy SFDK much more than DCA, and DCA probably has a better ride collection. But since I rarely get to go there, of course I'd enjoy my visits more.

Call me spoiled, I guess, but you would probably get tired of it after awhile. I live ten minutes away and spent almost every day of my teen years there, so maybe I got burned out. I'm not saying KI has a better collection of rides, just that the recent additions to GAm have been underwhelming. I know it's a good coaster collection, but the only ones that really excite me anymore are Raging Bull, Viper, and Batman: TR, and they have all been there for a long time. I read about all these newer top coasters around the country and wish we had just one. I'm not the only local with the same thoughts. We only went there this summer because we had four free tickets. We never go to the water park because it takes two days to do both, so a slide doesn't excite me after thinking Chang was here.

Since I was an infant, I've been going to a much smaller and less impressive park that just added their first brand new roller coaster in 11 years (Kennywood), or 9 if you count Phantom, and I have yet to get bored with it. So I'd say no, I wouldn't get tired of Great America if I lived near it.

Also, I'd like to add this. Wouldn't having a world-class coaster defeat the purpose? I mean, you'd only get tired of it in a little while, right? Then it wouldn't be a world-class top coaster anymore, at least in your eyes. That's the fun of it sometimes, having to make a trip out of it, traveling across the country to ride a one-of-a-kind ride, or taking a road trip, or whatever.

Since I was an infant, I've been going to a much smaller and less impressive park that just added their first brand new roller coaster in 11 years (Kennywood), or 9 if you count Phantom, and I have yet to get bored with it. So I'd say no, I wouldn't get tired of Great America if I lived near it.

Also, I'd like to add this. Wouldn't having a world-class coaster defeat the purpose? I mean, you'd only get tired of it in a little while, right? Then it wouldn't be a world-class top coaster anymore, at least in your eyes. That's the fun of it sometimes, having to make a trip out of it, traveling across the country to ride a one-of-a-kind ride, or taking a road trip, or whatever.

Quite the contrary, I think that's what makes a world class coaster a world class coaster.

I've been on Bizarro at SFNE and Boulder Dash at LC >100 times each over the past 5 years or so, and i'm not close to being bored of either of them.

The novelty of a new coaster is certainly nice, however. I pray every year that SFNE demolishes Cyclone and puts an Intamin Prefab in , or that Lake Compounce buys a B&M looper or an Intamin Megalite . But if they don't add one it's not like i'm not going back to my home parks. That to me would be like never eating lunch again just because it's a Filet Mignon every day.

Quite the contrary, I think that's what makes a world class coaster a world class coaster.

I know, but that wasn't my point. My post was mainly directed at him only, and I was using his logic. If he is "tired" of all the great coasters that GAm already has, then what's the point of building a top-tier, world class coaster if he will only get "tired" of it eventually, right?

Edited by FeelTheFORCE