TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The trains alternate between blue and green. The first two cars are blue and then the rest alternate between blue and green every other.

American Eagle only had the blue side running (with two trains). Raging Bull had two trains and I think Batman did too. Viper had one train and so did Iron Wolf and Demon. The park was dead. It was the first time I've ever been able to reride Raging Bull (5 times). We weren't really going for rerides, but you could have stayed on Raging Bull all day if you wanted.

The track is a complete circuit. I don't think they have all layers of wood in place yet. There were about 6 or more people working on the ride yesterday. A lot of the station has been completed since opening day. There are still no trains on site. I think they painted a good portion of the ride too.

Here are some new pictures of Little Dipper. They've done a lot of work in the past few weeks.

LD1.jpg.dd850e49826cb7c1acfdbf8c20a75f27.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a partial paint job, or if it's the original wood.

LD2.jpg.801a4c64cf44fbad7513b516ef8378e3.jpg

Don't mind the genie. Unless you're a fan of them.

LD3.jpg.2ac96278cf9d65708cec348427184f7f.jpg

The station is nearly completed.

Is the park crowded on Sundays around this time of year?!

I don't think it would be too bad. I think it depends on the weather, and if the park is hosting "Music in the Park" which was happening this past Saturday. The wait times on Saturday were pretty decent, so I would assume Sunday's wouldn't be that bad.

Has anyone seen some of the changes in the Raging Bull station? First of all, they added a 60-second "shot clock" timing the train dispatches. Signs all around the station say "watch us beat the clock"! It starts at 60 and counts down. Of course it was a slow day with only two ops checking restraints, so they weren't making 60 seconds. When it gets to zero, it simply turns around and counts up. I've never seen anything like it, but if it keeps the ops (and the riders) motivated, good!

There's also a very odd new policy about empty seats. The ops were telling riders that just got off the train that they were free to take any empty seats on the train. While it was nice to ride twice in a row, it made a mess of the station! Many people looking for the elusive re-ride walked very slowly towards the exit hoping to jump in an empty seat. I wish they would put in a single-rider line to fill seats.

Has anyone seen some of the changes in the Raging Bull station? First of all, they added a 60-second "shot clock" timing the train dispatches. Signs all around the station say "watch us beat the clock"! It starts at 60 and counts down. Of course it was a slow day with only two ops checking restraints, so they weren't making 60 seconds. When it gets to zero, it simply turns around and counts up. I've never seen anything like it, but if it keeps the ops (and the riders) motivated, good!

There's also a very odd new policy about empty seats. The ops were telling riders that just got off the train that they were free to take any empty seats on the train. While it was nice to ride twice in a row, it made a mess of the station! Many people looking for the elusive re-ride walked very slowly towards the exit hoping to jump in an empty seat. I wish they would put in a single-rider line to fill seats.

Goliath at SFOG has one of those countdown clocks only it's time is 1:45 I think... I agree that Raging Bull needs a single rider line, but even more, Superman does. It'd be so much faster to ride that if every seat was filled.

Off topic kinda, but does anyone else think that Giant Drop should be painted a different color? Brown just doesn't look good on drop towers. I think a rustic red and maybe silver or black would look better.

I've seen a clock like that at the drive-thru for Dunkin Donuts before. I think it's great that they are doing that, I just hope they don't sacrifice safety to beat the clock. I can easily see ops skipping a few seats to beat the clock.

That's an interesting reride policy. So if the ride has a 2 hour line, they still let you ride again to fill empty seats?

^Lines were not even back to the Flash Pass merge point yesterday. I have no idea if that policy will stick when there are crowds...

On a side note, I wish more SF parks would have merge points for flash pass. GAm has them for almost every ride. Riders coming through the exit and taking your row is no fun.

^The ride op that was doing this looked older and sounded more professional than a lot of ops. They actually switched positions and the next ride op didn't mention this policy as much, but he was talking a lot less in general. Like I said, I have no idea if this is an official policy but judging by the ride op's demeanor, it seems like the management is okay with it.

That's been there since sometime last year.

Flash Pass works the best when it merges with the original line, but for rides like Demon where the Flash Pass entrance is at the exit, they block off rows which causes backups for those in the Flash Pass line.

^^Traincrossin is pretty much right. Unlike most of the SF parks, Great America actually merges the flash pass queues just before the station on most coasters. That's the same system you would see at Disney. Demon, however, enters up the exit, which is the way many other SF parks use. The Flash Pass staff member at the merge point generally takes the place of the person at the station that controls the flow of guests into the station (which are rarely used anymore...). They hold up the regular line, and add in the flash pass users. If there is a big chunk of people, they will let a lot of them in. Then the Flash Pass user is free to go where ever they want in the station with everyone else. It's a much nicer system than say, Evel Knievel at SFSTl, where the flash pass riders come in from the exit and take any row they like, holding up the people next in line for that row. Even Deja Vu at GAm had a merge point line, but I don't recall Deja ever using Flash Pass/Fast Lane.

Hey guys, I am planning my first ever visit to the park in late august of this year. Right now I have Mon Aug 23 as my date. And I was wondering what the crowd levels might be like. Assuming with the park closes at 8 and I think that most of the schools there are going to be back in by then that it will be less than average levels. I was going to be there when the park opens at 10 and stay all the way till closing plunging as many rides and re-rides as possible. And I am not planning on buying Flashpass.