TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Little Dipper looks nice on the 2010 map. It is surronded by rides, its in its on little area which IMO makes it look better. Although how is the park going to be able to pull of Looney Tunes National Park with just Little Dipper?

Also the Magiquest building looks just like the 2009 map just with the game awnings gone. And don't waste your times looking for it on the site, it's only on the ipod app

Six Flags Great America has sent us a new press release about the construction of the Little Dipper, set to open for Memorial Weekend this year.

Six Flags Great America Keeps Chicago History Alive! Construction begins on the Little Dipper, a 60-year-old wooden coaster Six Flags Great America purchased from Kiddieland Amusement Park last November. The vintage coaster has been a family tradition in Chicago for over 50 years, operating at Kiddieland from 1950 until September 2009 when the amusement park closed. The family-friendly coaster will retain its original name and open Memorial Day weekend as the 14th coaster at Six Flags Great America.

The Little Dipper was designed by Herbert Schmeck and built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1950. The coaster’s figure eight track features a three story tall lift hill and runs 700 feet in length. It has been honored by the American Coaster Enthusiasts with the ACE Coaster Classic award.

“We wanted to preserve this important piece of Chicago history for families to experience for many more years to come." Hank Salemi,

Six Flags Great America’s park president.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with heart-pounding roller coasters including Raging Bull, a free 15-acre water park, spectacular shows and three children’s themed areas. New in 2010 - the Glow in the Park Parade, a nighttime illuminated parade with Cirque Du Soleil-style music and over 60 performers and MagiQuest, a new 10,000 square foot interactive gaming experience.

image001.jpg.5c31a00588ed097918d0a9acdf09ebd3.jpg

image003.jpg.ae7dfea1ecef9a0bc07cc0b9578653e8.jpg

image005.jpg.b388300f856d008a1d6a48e823a12395.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm surprised at how much Six Flags seems to be excited about this ride, as they seem to be pushing it more than other park's new attractions this year. Then again, with it having a lot of nostalgic value and Mark Shapiro wanting it a lot, I guess it should have been expected.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the ride currently has a 42" height requirement.

The Little Dipper 42" MILD Yukon Territory

Link

I hope this is not the final requirement, otherwise the move is going to backfire big time on Six Flags. Spacley's Sprocket Rockets has a 36" height requirement, so I assume Little Dipper will eventually end up with the same requirement. Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of upset kids and parents.

Also, I can make it to the park either Saturday or Sunday, so it doesn't matter which day the meet up is.

^LOL! I seriously wonder what the hell is going on within Six Flags lately!?! First Mr. Six gets a 42'' restriction and now this?!?! Even though it ran as 36'' 40 miles away from the park!

Hopefully this is just another error and it will get cleared up soon!

^^Oh Matt!

It's fine, I've come to accept their new height restrictions...they've obviously abandoned the Family Friendly thing and are focusing more on the teen market and that's probably better for them!

Meanwhile on the Middle America Trip while KT can't ride the junior woodie at SFGAm she can ride the Underground at Adventureland and Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City!!!!

Edited to add, just checked Pegasus at Mt. Olympus...that's 40''!

Edited by SharkTums

Meanwhile on the Middle America Trip while KT can't ride the junior woodie at SFGAm she can ride the Underground at Adventureland and Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City!!!!

Edited to add, just checked Pegasus at Mt. Olympus...that's 40''!

We can just push her around really fast in a stroller.......

Im wondering if it has to do with the Insurance Company. Anyone know if the same company covers all of the Six Flags parks? Or do they have a seprate one that covers each park?

I guess we can rule out the state dept. that covers amusement rides in Illinois, since they let it run before at 36".

Im wondering if it has to do with the Insurance Company. Anyone know if the same company covers all of the Six Flags parks? Or do they have a seprate one that covers each park?

It's a possiblilty, but insurance companies don't have that kind of pull. They can't mandate ride height restrictions. As for coverage, it would be one policy for all of Six Flags.

I think there's some truth to what we were told at WCB, but it seemed like they were skirting around some other sort of issue they really didn't want to get into, which I think Elissa hit on.

It's a possiblilty, but insurance companies don't have that kind of pull. They can't mandate ride height restrictions. As for coverage, it would be one policy for all of Six Flags.

No, but while the insurance company can't demand a change they can put a recommendation on it.

The only thing that I think they would change because of insurance would be the seatbelts that they added to Little Dipper.

That's more likely to be a change they had to make due to Illinois rules and regs. It was probably grandfathered under the old rules, but once it was "rebuilt" it had to be put up to the new rules and regs.

^ If Loss/Risk Control advises of it, yes. But trust me, it's not likely to change premiums or the risk factors that much. I don't see Six Flags changing it due to insurance.

Just throwing out the possibilities

But I know from experience that Insurance companies do have alot of pull in the industry.

Is adding seat belts really going to take away from the ride though? The Little Dippers mirror image would be fine with seat belts. While I've never been on the Little Dipper if it runs anything like the Meteor I don't see how adding seat belts will hurt the ride in anyway besides taking a little longer to load and unload.