TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Alton Towers also installed a Splash Battle a couple of years ago, and whilst it is a decent ride, I don't even think it appeals to its target audience. Even in the height of summer during an occasionally warm day in England, the ride had a 5 minute queue maximum when everything else is packed. For some reason it just doesn't seem to be a popular ride type for park goers.

Just my opinion though.

BB is a fantastic *family* ride, and one of the very few at SFGAm. The Wiggles, Cartoon network, and Bugs Bunny areas are for little kids, and ONLY little kids. Appealing just to toddlers is no more "family" than appealing just to teenagers. BB is a ride that everyone can ride, and everyone can enjoy. Capacity is huge on it, which is why there's no line .. but this whole conversation really proves that coaster dorks will always find stuff to complain about "OH NO THERE'S NO LINE, UNBELIEVABLE - I ONLY LIKE STANDING IN LINE FOR 3 HOURS, NOTHING LESS". - Come on, people!

The park needs more things like BB, more flat rides (large/thrilling, and small/fun) .. Little dipper is a great addition. If Chang does end up being installed there then it will be a bad move, the park already has plenty of coasters and Chang really offers nothing new - even though the coaster-teen-losers will all love being able to stand in line for 4 hours to ride a larger version of a ride that's already been there for 20 years (Iron Wolf). Of course then they'll complain that the line is too long and that SFGAm has horrible capacity and blaa blaa blaa blaa

I know it's the off-season and a lot of you are board - but complaining about lack of lines .. really? That's all you can do now?. Us mid-westerners need to show the rest of the country that we're the coolest and most fun enthusiasts out there, and this thread really isn't helping our cause!

Cameron.

Take that, WWoHP! www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/tickets/magiquest.aspx

Battle dragons, save princesses and earn powers in MagiQuest — an exciting live-action adventure game new at Six Flags Great America in 2010!

Grab your very own magic wand and complete fun and challenging quests throughout the Kingdom of MagiQuest. All of your friends or entire family can battle life-sized dragons and goblins or come to the aid of pixies in the newest interactive experience sweeping the country.

Watch our video above or check out the Frequently Asked Questions below to learn more about MagiQuest.

Have you ever wanted to step into the world of a video game? Now's your chance!

To play MagiQuest, you'll need to purchase a personal wand and minutes of game time. Packages are available. Season Pass holders can save up to $15 on value packages when you flash your pass and save 15% on wands and wand toppers.

MAGIQUEST PACKAGES

Super 75 Package — $24.99 ($5 Savings) PAY JUST $19.99 WHEN YOU BUY ONLINE!

Season Passholders — $19.99 ($10 Savings)

Includes a classic wand and 75-minute game experience

Ultimate 90 Value Package — $34.99 ($10 Savings)

Season Passholders — $29.99 ($15 Savings)

Includes a classic wand, topper with powers and 90-minute game experience

MagiQuest Season Pass — $45.99

Unlimited game time all season at Six Flags Great America only. Does not include park admission.

Wand purchase is required for play.

A LA CARTE PRICING

$16.99 Classic Wand

$12.99 Topper

$11.99 Returning Magi 60-minute game experience

$14.99 Returning Magi 90-minute game experience

Season Pass holders receive 15% off a la carte items.

What can you win?

You will win the opportunity to battle a life-sized dragon! You will also help the Pixie and the Princess, but watch out for the Goblin! In addition, you can earn gold and experience points which can grant you more time in the kingdom, super dueling powers, discounts on treasures and even a grand celebration! (5,000 gold = 3 free duels, 7500 gold = 20% off single retail item, 10,000 gold = 30 minutes free game time, 250,000 gold = private celebration for 10 magi)

If I come back and play MagiQuest another day or another season, will my wand remember everything I accomplished?

Yes, your wand knows you by name and remembers everything you’ve accomplished. When you return, you pick up where you left off on your last visit.

How long can I play each time I visit?

75 & 90 minutes for new Magi

60 & 90 minutes for returning Magi

OR unlimited season pass for $45.99

What is MagiQuest?

MagiQuest is a live-action adventure game — unlike anything you've ever experienced. You begin by selecting a Magic Wand that is yours to keep, forever! Then, you’ll use clues and hints to go on quests, earn powers, battle dragons, and embark on amazing adventures while mastering different challenges and moving up the levels of the game.

Where is MagiQuest located at Six Flags Great America?

MagiQuest is located in the County Fair Section across from Wiggles World.

How much does it cost to play?

Packages including a wand and 60 minutes of game time start at just $24.99. Pay just $19.99 when you buy online! Season Pass holders receive special discounts on packages, wands and toppers. Grandparents and children 4 and under are always admitted in the MagiQuest Kingdom free of charge. See our packages and a la carte pricing above

Hmm, seems interesting enough. Just wondering how big this is going to be, as that area still seems a little small.

as interesting as this is.... i can't help but feel underwhelmed. My dorkiness runs pretty thick but this is just a whole new level of dorkiness. Personally I can't justify paying $50 to get into the park, $15 bucks to park the car and then spend another 20 bucks to do something like this that is going to take an hour+ of my time that i could be riding another ride that I have already paid for season pass or not. That is just my thoughts.

Yay an expensive upcharge attraction for youngsters... How many parents really want to make their visit cost $120 per person? Grand waste of install money if you ask me. Granted if it was fairly reasonable as far as cost goes, probably a good move, but if you're talking a million plus.... What are they thinking? And yes, I realize 3d projectors cost 75-200k.

Bb is not horrible, but I hate sitting down on wet coaster seats, that's why I think bb belongs in the water park. The flumes and rapids are perfect. Because they don't soak people to the point that they soak coaster seats (usually people are dry by the end of the cue line for a coaster). I agree that bb has great theming and looks fun for frequent visitors. I just wish they would quit taking out high end rides for lower end rides. Shockwave didn't have to go to make room for suf, and vu for bb. The park seems to have great kids sections, and the water park for families and teens, plus flat rides for all levels of thrill seekers. I don't get why they don't understand you need thrill rides to target adults too. Get people hooked and keep em happy from toddler to grave, it's a good way to run a business. If you keep losing coasters, and don't have flat rides other than spin and puke rides, you won't draw young adults, much the less adults in general.

Trust me, I know a LOT of families that live 2 hours away from SFGAm that are all season pass holders. I've been to the park park with these families, and they like to spend money! SFGAm is really the only major theme park within decent driving distance, and already offers a lot for families. Kids will see this, and will want to have their very own wand that they can use every time for the park. I think it's a great addition, and will probably end up making more many than those games ever did. It was ALWAYS dead over, even during peak summer days.

Yay an expensive upcharge attraction for youngsters... How many parents really want to make their visit cost $120 per person? Grand waste of install money if you ask me. Granted if it was fairly reasonable as far as cost goes, probably a good move, but if you're talking a million plus.... What are they thinking? And yes, I realize 3d projectors cost 75-200k.

Even with it's price, this will still be popular. Families with season passes will probably be willing to pay for it, especially with the season pass for the attraction itself. Even those who only visit once a year, or every couple of years, will probably also be willing to pay. If a family only visits the park once a year, they will probably be willing to pay the fee for their kids so that they have a memorable visit. Plus, for such a long attraction time, the price isn't that bad, especially when compared to the other upcharge attractions.

I agree that bb has great theming and looks fun for frequent visitors. I just wish they would quit taking out high end rides for lower end rides. Shockwave didn't have to go to make room for suf, and vu for bb.

If it is not economically feasible to have a ride the park will remove it, not just SFGAM. Deja vu had a lot of downtime, and aside from the cost, it isn't very PR friendly to have a signature coaster down all the time. Shockwave had problems, and Superman is very reliable. Plus, Superman is the most popular coaster in the park, so it was a great move.

The park seems to have great kids sections, and the water park for families and teens, plus flat rides for all levels of thrill seekers. I don't get why they don't understand you need thrill rides to target adults too. Get people hooked and keep em happy from toddler to grave, it's a good way to run a business. If you keep losing coasters, and don't have flat rides other than spin and puke rides, you won't draw young adults, much the less adults in general.

SFGAM has a great selection of thrill rides, so I don't see what you are complaining about. Just because we aren't Magic Mountain or Cedar Point, isn't a bad thing...actually, that is a very good thing. While I'll agree with the spin and puke ride comment, the park still has plenty of rides a thrill seeker can ride. The park has one of the largest ride and coaster selections in the world, so I don't see why the park needs to switch its focus to thrill rides. The whole Six Flags thrill ride mentality is one of the reasons why Six Flags wasn't seen as being very family friendly. Thrill rides will be built in the future, but just be grateful for what we have at the moment.

I guess the way I see it magicquest would be much more suited on the other side of I94 over at gurnee mills or downtown Wisconsin Dells. Just a real touristy area with loose wallets. Put it in a place that you don't charge people to get into in the first place. I think that this will be around maybe 2-3 years and will peter off. I think this is just a way for six flags to rent out some land to a gameing area that needed an excuse to be ripped up. Lets face it how many carney game areas do you really need. It probaly does not bring in much more revenue than the cost to pay the 16 year olds anyway. Plus pay another company to design and operate their brand. If it goes belly up you aren't going to lose much and you just reclaimed some land in the park for future expansion with little to no risk. It is either a smart business move for six flags or a poor one for Magicquest. Only time will tell.

I guess the way I see it magicquest would be much more suited on the other side of I94 over at gurnee mills or downtown Wisconsin Dells. Just a real touristy area with loose wallets.

The Wisconsin dells does have a MagiQuest, it's connected to Great Wolf Lodge and they're building one in the Chicago area at Yorktown Center

Here's proof that MagiQuest is fun for more than little kids.

I'm not sure I've conveyed it properly, but despite my mockery, MagiQuest is actually really cool. We ended up playing for three-and-a-half hours.

Erik and Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

I mean sure, it won't appeal to everyone, but I think that enough people will like it to keep it going and there will be many people who would try it again.

Magiquest looks very cool and I hope they make it look great for the park. One thing Im worried about is how it will look in the end. The one at the Great Wolf Lodge looks great because they had a big building to put it in and they were able to include lots of theming. The one in the video looks a lot like a store with some tv screens and a few rock walls. It looks very bland compared to Great Wolf Lodge so I hope that they make this one look great considering it is in a major attraction that many people visit.

I think it will be a great addition to the park and I love the fact that you can keep coming back to it without having to start over each time. Personally I would have rather seen them do a dark ride version of this because that could eliminate the up-charge and might appeal to more people. I'll probably try it once, but since I'm not really into fantasy, I don't see myself getting caught up in it. It looks cool, but I'd rather be on a ride.

If I ever make it down there two days in a row, I might check it out simply for the fact I'm a geek who would love to work in the movie industry. Not worth wasting my time during a one day trip though. Again I don't have a problem with our coasters, just that we spend fifty times as much on useless coasters and kiddie rides a we do coasters. Vu would have cost a few mil to fix right, but they spent 5.5m on bb, and lost a coaster. They put in tdk for 7.5m and it might last a decade. Cajun was a waste of money. Revolution - spin and puke. Little dipper was a good move, and I guess selling vu offset that cost. Hrm... Tdk superman and Cajun are the only rides that I've been on that were added since my first trip in 2002. Never got to ride vu because it was always broken down. I think of tdk and Cajun in the flat ride category just as much as coasters since so many places have wild mouse coasters now.

If I ever make it down there two days in a row, I might check it out simply for the fact I'm a geek who would love to work in the movie industry. Not worth wasting my time during a one day trip though. Again I don't have a problem with our coasters, just that we spend fifty times as much on useless coasters and kiddie rides a we do coasters. Vu would have cost a few mil to fix right, but they spent 5.5m on bb, and lost a coaster. They put in tdk for 7.5m and it might last a decade. Cajun was a waste of money. Revolution - spin and puke. Little dipper was a good move, and I guess selling vu offset that cost. Hrm... Tdk superman and Cajun are the only rides that I've been on that were added since my first trip in 2002. Never got to ride vu because it was always broken down. I think of tdk and Cajun in the flat ride category just as much as coasters since so many places have wild mouse coasters now.

Honestly? Were spending 50 times as much money on useless coaster and kiddie rides than good coasters? Exactly wich coasters are useless? I can think of a reason why every coaster is at the park. Oh and I'm so sure wiggles world coast 50 times more than Raging Bull.

And why would Dark Knight only last a decade? When the movie is forgotton they'll just retheme it.

You consider wild mouses as flat rides???? WTF?

Are boomerangs flat rides? Are SLCs flat rides? Cause there's a lot of those.

If you think coasters are flat rides are certain flat rides coasters? Are giant frisbees coasters? Are antique cars coasters? Are Scramblers coasters? Your theory makes no sence.