TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Leads me to believe it will stay in Chicago. I mean what's the point of moving it far north to move it to your furthest south property? I'm all for waiting to see what happens...just seems like it's gonna stay where it lays.

This is why I am thinking Chang will stay. SF STL has more land to store the ride and is closer to SFKK. Heck, if it was only a place holder for a year or so, they could have stored the ride in closed Twisted Twins/Mile High Falls area(they do have entire cars in there for storage right now under the coaster track.) Moving it to the park furthest from any other park just makes no seance at all if only to use it as a place holder.

Leads me to believe it will stay in Chicago. I mean what's the point of moving it far north to move it to your furthest south property? I'm all for waiting to see what happens...just seems like it's gonna stay where it lays.

This is why I am thinking Chang will stay. SF STL has more land to store the ride and is closer to SFKK. Heck, if it was only a place holder for a year or so, they could have stored the ride in closed Twisted Twins/Mile High Falls area(they do have entire cars in there for storage right now under the coaster track.) Moving it to the park furthest from any other park just makes no seance at all if only to use it as a place holder.

These facts are true, but do we even know if Chang track is at SFGAm?

Have you considered that the coaster may not be heading to the South?

Yup.

http://changsfgam2011.blogspot.com/

I would have to say all the signs are of it going in at SFGam.... I think Six Flags realizes a B&M is too big of an attraction to be sitting in storage than lets say Ultra Twister or an SLC. What it looks like to me is that the ride while get some TLC (Most likely on site at SFGam) before being reinstalled in 2011.

Plus if it was going to "Six Flags Mexico" than it would cost more to take it that far out of the way when other parks are closer to the route down to Mexico.

Thats just my thoughts...

Yup.

http://changsfgam2011.blogspot.com/

I had seen those pictures before, and it was still being debated whether or not they were for Chang. Has there been any more updates on arrivals at SFGAm?

I had seen those pictures before, and it was still being debated whether or not they were for Chang. Has there been any more updates on arrivals at SFGAm?

Nope.

*EDIT* Well there have been rumors that they have stored other parts elsewhere like in the employee parking lot or one of the access roads but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Isn't SFGAm the closest park to SFKK? I would think if that be the case that it could just be going there for storage. We've seen SF do weirder things. I guess We'll just have to wait for a press release. I'd so love to see it go to SFStL. They soooo need something good.

It's necessary to slow the train down to a crawl right before the first cammelback not even 15 seconds into the ride so that the rest of the ride is mind-numbingly boring, slow and pointless? Interesting. The way Raging Bull operates is nothing short of tragic.

Now if only they got less trim happy on Rageless Bull.

Coaster Enthusiast myth. Trims on RB are computer controlled they only come on when necessary.

I rode it and I was very unimpressed, I was told by one of a our fearless leaders on the day it ran so slowly because they had trimmed the life out of it, and seemed to gradually be doing it more each year. So I can only report what I heard.

The bottom line is whether it is a good ride or not, and it wasn't for me, even though Raging Bull has the potential to be great judging from it's layout.

^ I just cannot see them storing the track at SFGAM with all this talk about the coaster coming to the park and then just moving it to another park for 2011. I think that would anger more than a few people. But, who knows you could be right, I am just looking at what is being presented now. If I am wrong you can say "I told ya so" in 2011. But right now, almost everything points to Chang coming to SFGAM.

You never know. SFA has had SFAW's Ultra Twister in storage on the grounds for 4-5 years now, and it was just put on sale. La Ronde's "new" SLC has been in storage at another park (Great Escape if I remember correctly) for just as long. Basically until a formal announcement is made or physical construction I would not say anything is for certain at this point.

I would normally agree (and do agree actually) but remember with the case of Astroworld, Six Flags was selling off the land and the rides had to be moved "somewhere* to be stored because it wasn't possible to store them in Houston.

In the case of Chang, Six Flags owns and/or operates Kentucky Kingdom so why couldn't they have taken the ride down and stored it there?

It cost money to disassemble and move a ride (quite a bit of money, actually) and I can't see them moving the parts unless they absolutely *had* to by lack of no other option.

That being said, they totally could be just storing at at SFGam for it's eventual move to Six Flags Mexico.

Who really knows?

--Robb "Well, I guess someone at Six Flags does!" Alvey

That's a good point I hadn't considered. While I think based on the rumors and track/supports showing up, SFGAm is likely where it will be re-built. I'm still short of saying its a guarantee just in case some random tomfoolery is a-foot...

It's necessary to slow the train down to a crawl right before the first cammelback not even 15 seconds into the ride so that the rest of the ride is mind-numbingly boring, slow and pointless? Interesting. The way Raging Bull operates is nothing short of tragic.

That trim is activated by the trains speed, going too fast and it engages. If you ride enough times, there are rides where it never goes off.

I'm not saying the trims make sense, I'm just saying that park management told us that the "myth" that they've added trims is wrong. It's always operated the same way.

The trims have always been there, some years back they were turned up considerably. You are correct about them adjusting automatically based on the speed of the train though, normally when the train is empty they wont activate as hard. It also depends on the wheels. I've seen it FLYING with empty trains and the trims on hard (before the park opened in 06 if I remember right) because it was running entirely nylon wheels. During the summer typically it runs polyeurothane wheels and runs a lot slower.

I'm not sure of the exact reason polyurethane is slower than nylon (someone else can probably chime in on that) but SFGAm would certainly always prefer them because they last longer and are cheaper. They typically run Raging Bull with half nylon half polyurethane or something like that during the spring, go to all polyurethane during summer, then during fall go back to half and half (this cycle has been thrown somewhat out of whack in recent years as the maintenance guys keep getting more workload/no budget for more staff). Reason for the wheel changes is because in the colder weather they obviously want the train to run faster so it doesn't valley but they also want the wheels to last.

why do nylon wheels run faster than polyurethane?

Nylon is a harder type of material than polyurethane. As a result, it slides against the rails with less friction than polyurethane-a much softer material- which creates a better sense of pacing. Ride a Batman clone, the ride an invert with urethane wheels (Silver Bullet or Patriot) and see if you notice a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am going to go out on a limb to suggest a theory on the trims on bull. I personally think that the amount of breaking anyof us feels from one ride one day to the other is from the amount of wear on the brake pads themselves. The more the ride is run the more wear on the pads themselves. Since none of us truely no from one day to the other when they are rehabbed and replaced, this could easily account for the differences. I personally never thought they were that bad. I think the Trim on the first airtime hill actually causes you to get more airtime out of the hill becuase you do start coming out of your seat as of the break instead of at the top of the hill.

Then again I could be just making it up, but it makes sense to me.

On another note, from some photos on othersites, It appears shuttle itself has been removed from the SSA building. The building still stands but Stuff is definatley happening

Here is the photo

Supports from Little Dipper have arrived at Six Flags Great America. Also, Space Shuttle America is gone.

Full Image

On a random note, KeyLime Cove has filed bankruptcy.

KeyLime files Chapter 11

The owner of the KeyLime Cove water resort in Gurnee filed for bankruptcy Wednesday. KLCG Property LLC filed to reorganize under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code. Dale McFarland, general manager of the resort, said the 414-room property will stay open and that its ownership will not change hands. He said bookings have increased in 2009, but revenue is down because the resort cut prices to combat a fall in consumer spending. KLCG includes Dave Anderson, originator of the Famous Dave's and Rainforest Cafe restaurant chains. The resort cost $135.7 million and opened in 2008.

Article