TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

i know I already brought this up but I had to make one morecomment. Why is SFGAD opening March 27? Since SFGAM is the most profitable they should open up first.

I hate to be "That Gadv Fanboy" but even without a lot of flats we are profitable. Imagine if Gadv had as many flats as Gram, we'd be the PowerHouse of the East Coast. I think we open earlier because we have our 2009 work done and are getting started on 2010 work earlier. Like rehabs and construction. It also allows for more money come opening weekend so we can be profitable like you guys.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/kiddieland-amusement-park-auction-rides.html

SFGAm has purchased Kiddieland's Little Dipper at the auction today for $33,000. It will be placed in one of the kiddie areas, hopefully in time for the 2010 season.

Kiddieland, the Melrose Park amusement park, opened one last time this morning for an auction of its rides.

Carnival enthusiasts and long-time regulars packed the parking lot for a final goodbye, with the park turning on the lights on its rides one last time. Scheduled today for auction were 430 separate pieces of park history -- from carousel horses to popcorn carts to bumper cars.

A private collector from Atlanta bought the first major ride of the day, with a winning bid of $17,000 for the bumper cars. The carousel later went for $355,000 to a Westmont business owner who plans to refurbish it. The Little Dipper roller coaster sold for $33,000 to Six Flags in Gurnee; it will be put in the park's kiddie section, hopefully by 2010.

Awesome, and like everyone else, I'm really surprised. The coaster is a lot of fun despite being so small, and I'm sure it will be a hit with the families. I wonder what area it will go in though, since there isn't much room in any of the kiddie areas. This was completely random and unexpected, and I'm happy that Six Flags is doing this. It is nice to see that it will still be local instead of being shipped across the country or be demolished.

I wonder what area it will go in though, since there isn't much room in any of the kiddie areas.

I was wondering the same thing. I noticed that the ball lodge in Looney Tunes National Park was never open this year (well at least when I went there). I wonder if they plan to take that out and put the coaster there. It just might fit.

Edit: I know in the article they are focusing on putting it in one of the children's areas, however if the ride doesn't fit, they might consider the following:

1)The area where Splashwater Falls once stood

2) They could go a completely different route and put it where SSA is. Now I know there is talk of Chang going into that area, but nothing was confirmed yet about that ride.

Why not paint it raging bull colors, call it Mini-Bull, and throw it over there!

I'm kind of getting annoyed at all of the parks segregating the kids far away from all the rides. Put a small ride next to a big ride so that child swapping is easier!

I Don't know the park that well, but couldn't it also go where Deja' vu stood. Also i wonder how this will impact the Chang decision. If SFGAM got both it would however mean that the SFGAM fanboys would have to stop complaining about how SFMM get's multiple coasters in consecutive years...

As long as it doesn't become a "Wiggles" coaster i'll be happy. That whole area just really isn't my favorite. Since Camp Cartoon already has Jetsons my vote is for Bugs Bunny National Park. I wouldnt mind seeing it outside of a childrens area. Maybe somewhere in Hometown Square would make a good home for it.