TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I do feel bad that SFKK is losing it's biggest ride. The park wasn't doing great so they needed that. I think SFKK will probably end up being just a water park. That is what they are losing Chang for so it probably won't stop there. When even was the last time Twisted Twins or whatever it's called was open?

"New for 2011 at Six Flags Great America, Bizzaro! Bizarro your world and stand up to this massive standup roller coaster! Bizarro will be our 14th. roller coaster, and our third tallest standing a staggering 154ft. in the air, it'll be over 50 ft. taller than our other standup coaster, Iron Wolf. What makes Bizarro so unique is that it'll feature flames shooting over 30 ft. in the air, 2 tight narrow tunnels filled with mist, razor sharp knives, and an on ride audio system. Riders will standup to this bizzare coaster in May of 2011!"

A recap on all I've heard:

Six Flags Great America is focusing on Hurricane Harbor next year. Expect to see two new rides and from what I've heard, a ride similar to Deluge or the new one at Holiday World will be the big one.

If Chang comes to SFGA, it will NOT be til 2011 and if this is true there are some possibilites that have been batted around:

1)Iron Wolf is Replaced by Chang. Rumors have been abundant that Wolf's days are numbered. However, Chang will not FIT into Wolf's footprint even if it is removed, without the loss of the train station (maybe) and Johnny Rockets/funnel cakes. If the ride were turned just so, and placed partially over the employee parking lot, the train staion might be saved.

2.)Iron Wolf stays and Chang is added, surely means the loss of something with a nearly equal footprint. Expect to see Yankee Clipper or Whizzer on the chopping block. Chang could fit where Demon is and utilize some empty space (old SplashwaterFalls/Speedway area) but I don't see Demon going anywhere. It's too "Family Friendly".

Here's realistically (and this doesn't necessarily make me all happy either) what I see as the Big Game Plan for SFGA:

2010: Removal of Space Shuttle America/Go Karts- Hurricane Harbor introduces two new rides that take up part of that space. I would like them to place the entrance near the SkyTower but that's what I "Want" and not sure that's gonna happen.

2011: Chang replaces Whizzer, (loss of a lot of trees and such a nostalgic ride) main portion of ride on Whizzer footprint, with lift hill replacing "Hometown Fun Machine" and running behind Pictorium. Go-Karts relocated to Speedway area. Possible flat ride where SplashwaterFalls stood.

2012: Removal of Iron Wolf. I do not see SFGA running both standups for more than one (possibly two) simultanelous years.

My .02

Can someone please show me this mythical press-release from the park that states Whizzer is such a maintenance nightmare? Apparently I've been living under a rock, and Whizzer appeared to run all three trains quite solidly all summer (with no major breakdowns that I'm aware of). I mean most Intamin rides can't claim that.

You say that you don't see Demon being removed because "it's too family friendly", well it's a punch in the face compared to Whizzer .. which is not only a better ride than Demon (from a rounding-out-the-park perspective), but more popular too. You can't say that Demon won't be removed because it's family friendly, and then say (in the same breath) that Whizzer will. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that I know one way or another whether Whizzer will be removed, I don't know anything other than what I observe .. There is no evidence whatsoever that Whizzer is the money-pit that everyone seems to assume; quite the opposite in fact, as I pointed out above. If Whizzer is removed it is far more likely that it will simply be to make room for another major ride .. one costing at least $20 million (given the space) - and I'm being a little conservative there. Now let's say that Whizzer costs $1 million a year to maintain, then the park won't see a return for 20 years. The new ride might not even last that long .. Chang didn't, neither did Shockwave (and about a zillion others). In fact if I were to bet, I'd guess that American Eagle costs far more per-year to maintain than Whizzer does; and it takes up more space AND is a less valuable ride than Whizzer.

So can we just please stop this nonsense? It seems quite likely that we won't see big changes at the park for 2010, and at this point anything is possible for 2011 (if they can completely re-locate Superman one month before starting construction, then anything is possible until the first hole is dug). There really is no reason to remove any major rides, as the biggest thing the park needs is water-park expansion .. and there's a lovely plot of land available once the Go-Carts and Space Shuttle are removed. Hopefully some of that work will be done for 2010. Water-parks are a license to print money now (just like coasters were 10 years ago), so it makes the most sense that Six Flags will focus on that.

Cameron.

With Six Flag's new family friendly attitude, i really hope that they don't take out Whizzer or Demon. Both of those we're my cousin's favorite rides, all of whom were to short to go on Raging Bull and Batman. I really can only hope that SFGAm will build their new additions around all of their current rides instead of removing them. Now if we do get Chang, yes i'll be annoyed that we have another standup but that really won't stop me or any of the general public from going on it. I can't wait to see how this all turns out.

*EDIT* 400 posts!

^^ Yes he does, and so do I.

Heard from a source that HH will get a expansion in the old Space Shuttle America area, and I was told that it would not be completely done until the 2011 season.

As for the Chang rumor, my source could not tell me were Chang will end up at.

So i guess for now will have to wait and see.

I always wanted a Riddler's Revenge clone for SFGADV when I worked at CHILLER in the park. The original Batman movie of the 90's, Batman & Robin were represented as coasters but Batman Forever was featured only as The Batman Forever Stunt Show at the Axis Arena. I think SFGADV could fit Chang on CHILLER's former pad but turned about 30-45 degrees going into a backstage area for stores/restaurants and Arcade 28 in Fantasy Forest and the other end of Movietown. Chang should overtake the former Spinmeister Enterprise site and the closed Musik Express in the closed Old Country section. I could forsee the dive loop and corkscrews fitting in that area.

There are rumors for a Batman 3 of this more real better series of films. It's rumored Johnny Depp would play The Riddler. If it shoots in 2010 the movie might premiere in 2011. Oh wait 2011 is Six Flags 50th Anniversary! I would n't mind if SF took the Riddler's Revenge name slap it on this coaster and where ever it goes theme it to the current films if that movie will really be made and debut then.

I think SFGADV should get a drop tower and/or Splash Battle as I was trying to be realistic with their financial situation. With all these crazy rumors and happenings even if SFGADV has 4 B&Ms already I think I can assume some other crazy cards could be out there.

^I'm fairly sure this topic is for SFGAm not SFGAdv

In response to the whole Demon/Whizzer debate, just from my personal Virginian-who's-never-been-to-SFGAm point of view, I'd rather see Whizzer stay. CGA kept their Demon and got rid of their Whizzer, and SFGAm still has both. Whizzer has more history behind it, and is one of those rides that everyone enjoys. Not everyone likes going upside down 4 times. Most of the family will enjoy a smooth (difference between Demon and Whizzer..) ride with lots of turns and hills/

Whizzer use to run 5 carts and use to not have seatbelts...fun fact.

But all of this shinanegans (sp) about Whizzer and Demon being removed could possibley be true. If you think about it...Chang takes up A LOT of room, removing Demon could work, but SFGAM might be talking about putting Whizzer to sleep.

Might have been my first coaster I ever rode...

I could see them removing Iron Wolf, just because it isn't very popular. I would love to see Iron Wolf run as a refurbished floorless coaster, but I don't think they would go through all the trouble for that.

I don't think Chang would be at SFGAM until 2011, just because they would only have 6 months to take it down from SFKK and then reconstruct it at SFGAM. The only way it might work is if they already had started pouring footers by the end of october.

Edit: I just read in the SFKK topic that Chang is being removed from SFKK. So it is possible that it could be a 2010 attraction. However, they may be removing it early just so that they have enough time to finish their waterpark expansion on time.

They don't really need a coaster for next year. The park had good attendance all year and many people go to the park for the waterpark. A big waterpark ride would be great for next year. A lot of people have almost forgotten about Hurricane Harbor, just because they haven't gotten anything new since 2006. It still gets crowds, but it could use another big ride like Tornado to remind people that they should check out the waterpark.

I can't help smile a little at the update that Chang is coming down for sure.

As to my previous thoughts of a possible conversion of Iron Wolf, which i know a lot of people dismissed pretty fast with the heartline argument. I definatley See the point. However I don't know that this is 100% a problem as there is at least one example of running stand up/ sit down on the same track.

www.rcdb.com/1219.htm?p=7262

Just some food for thought. Not only that the only inversions are a vertical loop and a corkscrew which i don't believe would be affected by the heartline. Doesn't that only really matter with a zero-g roll, or heartline roll?

As to my previous thoughts of a possible conversion of Iron Wolf, which i know a lot of people dismissed pretty fast with the heartline argument. I definatley See the point. However I don't know that this is 100% a problem as there is at least one example of running stand up/ sit down on the same track.

www.rcdb.com/1219.htm?p=7262

That coaster is also a TOGO creation...

just sayin

Don't think that repainting something on a coaster means it is staying. Or anything like that. They re-did the pipeline coaster a year before the coaster closed so it didn't mean anything. They would know by 2004 how the park is doing and so they wouldn't do that. But because it did happen, don't think that repainting carts for Demon means the coaster is staying.

I understand that everyone has a source but I'm still waiting to see printed publications about all these rumors. I know something was posted on Screamscape, but if I remember correctly they were referring to the year 2011 that Chang could come to our park. So instead of focusing on future plans for the park, can we start to focus on Fright Fest? It's only a few weeks away.