TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

First off, I think a HH expansion is a bit more important than getting another coaster for the park. The last time HH had anything added to it, was when Tornado was installed a few years ago. I think an expansion could benefit everyone.

Second, IF we get Chang, they'll probably put it in where Space Shuttle is now, but I always thought they would use that area for the HH expansion. I don't think it would fit where Splash Waterfalls is due to Great American Raceway being there, and I don't think they'll take that out ever. Then again we did have a second car ride where Roaring Rapids is so anything is possible.

Third, I will do everything in my power to prevent them from taking out Iron Wolf.

I personaly would not be mad if Superman was removed. It was good for my first flying coaster, but now I won't go back on unless the line is short. That area would be good for a B&M Looper like Medusa which I think Great America needs. We don't have a good sitdown looper. I would rather have the park keep Shockwave then get Superman.

^ Superman is not coming out any time soon unless the ride just collapses randomly. The ride is popular, in good shape, relatively new and a great eye catcher for people entering the park.

The water park needs an expansion. There were days in July when compacity was reached within a few hours of opening. Add to that the need for a front gate to the water park. There is no reason to make people walk through the entire theme park when all they want to do is the water park. But if they do, there is still the back entrance.

Getting rid of Superman would be just about the dumbest thing the park could do (next to removing Raging Bull). Superman is extremely popular among the general public, and even many enthusiasts. It pulls decent G's in the pretzel loop. It looks great from the toll booth, parking lot, and entrance.

I can see them getting rid of great American raceway. First of all, those cars just eat away at fuel, which is very bad for the environment, and wastes money. Also, right now they go around an empty pit, and it's not like Great America to have an attraction do that, everything is a finished product for them. Anyways, several parks seem to be getting rid of that type of attraction ( king's island for BL:SC, Kennywood for "2010 Coaster", etc.).

If GAR is removed, they do have a nice big chunk of real estate there to work with.

They could switch the fuel to the vegetable oil. They did that on Scenic Railway so they could totally do that for GAR.

I still think we should use the area behind Whizzer and the Pictorium for a new coaster. And then build a sepereate entrance for HH where Space Shuttle America is. With the HH expansion there.

What I would like the park to get:

1. Sally dark ride

2. Screaming Swing

3. Sky Swat

4. Deluge type water coaster

5. Eurofighter

6. Large speed slide

7. Half pipe slide

8. Any other major flat ride that isn't a spin-and-puke

9. GCI wooden coaster

10. Mack water coaster

Right now is a great time to visit the park as it is dead, even on weekends. I went again last Saturday, and all the rides I came across (didn't see Superman) had a wait no longer than probably 10 minutes. Even rides like Viper and Bull had only a one or two train wait if that. Even with the light crowds, the ride ops were still acting like the park was packed with them quickly loading/unloading/dispatching the trains.

Kanonen being my favorite coaster, I wouldn't mind if we got one of them clones. Although the capacity isn't too good.

I'd personally want a new wooden roller coaster. A CCI and TGG coaster is too big since we already have American Eagle, so GCI wouldn't be a bad option to go.

I think we are good with water rides, so no need to talk about that.

More waterslides would be a good idea since the water park draws a HUGE crowd. The stingways aren't a bad idea, I would also like to see a longer family raft rather then the 12 second ones we have.

If we got a new big coaster, I would love a Mack Mega looper, those don't seem to have too bad capacity, and they are very good! Only if it is themed as well as Blue Fire.

This is only my opinion...you are free to make fun of it

Instead of putting money into a new ride, how about we use that money to rehab some rides, like Iron Wolf! Or, better yet, build another Iron Wolf!!

Ok going to be serious now. Maybe the park should just go ahead with the HH expansion. If not, use the money to spruce up the place. I would like another ride in the park, but they should focus on what they have and use it to their advantage. But if I could request a ride, it would be Haybaler. Just bring it back already. Was there really a need to take it out? They could have relocated it somewhere else in the park...I think.

^ What's the Haybaler?

A Mack Mega Looper would be great. When I first saw that coaster I thought it was an Intamin. I want a launched coaster or a Floorless B&M looper. I've always thought Great America was lacking a good looping coaster since Shockwave and Tidal wave are gone. Demon is ok but it isnt very tall and I want more elements like zero-g rolls and cobra rolls. A clone of Medusa, Bizzaro or Scream would be fine with me.

Mack Mega Looper... Actually could be a pretty good chance of one of those in our future considering our parks recent "engagement" with that company.

Can you or someone explain what you mean by this?

^ What's the Haybaler?

The Haybaler was the name of their Mack Matterhorn ride. They took it out along with Sky Whirl when Vu was put in. I think Haybaler was removed to give Vu more space, or it was having mechanical issues and they decided to scrap it. I don't know if they moved it to another park or not. I really liked the ride, and I wish it was never removed.

^ It was a Flying Bobs themed to rotate around a haybale in an old barn. It was one of my favorites too, which is why I have to ride the one at IB whenever I go.

I'd rather see them spend some money on repainting alot of the structures. A lot of the buildings in Orleans Square and Hometown Square are in need of fresh coats of paint.

Personally, I get the gut feeling HH will see an expansion before they get another coaster, if they even get another coaster. The two new family additions are showing where the focus is, so beleiving they're going to get Chang or a GCI, or a Eurofighter is pretty silly.

A Mack Mega Looper would be sick! The park would thrive from something like that. Look at Maverick, for example. I know it's an Intamin, but in essence, a similar concept. I guess a ride like this could fit in front of American Eagle where SWF and GAR are/were. However, I like the idea of paintiing buildings/ expanding HH as well. If they could continue adding on to what is already a GREAT water park, we could have a real winning combination there.

Hurricane Harbor DOES need an expansion- and most likely it will go where the Go-Karts and Space Shuttle America are sitting. Fine by me, but if this happens, I'd like to see the entrance for HH moved in that area, instead of having to lug my stuff around (or get an obscenely priced locker) to go all the way out to the Viper area to get in the waterpark.

We REALLY do need a new Top-Shelf Coaster- Dark Knight is Lame, Rajun Cajun LOOKS fun but really isn't and Superman is WAY too short (though it's a blast).

Raging Bull was the last good coaster we got (though it is the BEST ride in the park) . . .and that was like, well, a really long time ago.

I'd love to have an Intamin Giga. So would the rest of Chicagoland I believe.

I don't mind the idea of swapping out Iron Wolf for Chang (in fact that would be an improvement), BUT, Chang just isn't gonna fit where Iron Wolf is . . .

If we get Chang expect to lose not only Iron Wolf, but probably the Whizzer or one or the other log flumes to make room.

^I give that Screamscape rumor about 20% believability anyway.

We really do need some new flats though.

Bring back Haybaler and Yukon Yahoo . . .let's also get a drop tower like Drop Zone at KI, and a Screamin' Swing like CP (which would fit perfectly where Splashwater Falls used to be, AND save the antique cars surrounding it.)

Ahhhhhh, if only I was in charge of new attractions at SFGAM......

^If you were, we'd be back to the Premier parks days. Just because Dark Knight isn't a Raging Bull in a box doesn't mean it is a bad coaster. Most families seem to like it. Plus, would you rather have Dark Knight or a plain wild mouse?

The giga idea mentioned a few times over the past few pages is also never going to happen. While thrill seekers might like it, families, those who Six Flags is trying to bring in, won't. The statement that all of Chicagoland wants one again seems to go back to the Premier parks mentality. Yes I want a new coaster, but it doesn't have to be something massive. Just look at Evel Knievel, it is fun and appeals to families. When I went in 2007, I only heard one person, a mom, say it was boring.

End rant - Sorry it involved your post, but just my thoughts after reading the past few pages

--------------------------------------------

I would like a screaming swing though.

Also, if Six Flags did build a giga coaster, I wouldn't complain. I'd just wonder what happened to the never building a giant coaster again comment that Shapiro made a while back.

If they were building anything of substantial height, they'd have to have it go through the Village of Gurnee, and I haven't heard any grumblings. And trust me, there would be grumblings.

I really do not see them adding another coaster this year.

Although I have see the blueprints for the Dive Coaster.