TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So I rode Sprocket Rocket yesterday, and I rode the front seat. And I noticed an old footer just sitting right in front of me. I would take a picture but I did not have time to take one. I will take one on Saturday.

But could that be an old Z-Force footer? Or what else would that be a footer of? Also, it was on the fence seperating Iron Wolf and Sprocket Rocket, but it was more on the Sprocket side.

what happens if the one train valleys inbetween the two hills.

Newer B&M's (circa 2002 and beyond) with no mid-course brake have what's called a "creep mode" on the lift, where if a train in the station is dispatched with a train still cycling, it will reduce the normal lift speed (aprox. 8 mph) in half (aprox. 4 mph) until the cycling unit clears the safety brake. Now you know.

Not sure if it's from Z-Force or not, but according to Wikipedia that's the general area where it was.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashback_(roller_coaster)

Flashback first opened in 1985 at Six Flags Great America as Z-Force and was the only "Space Dive" coaster (Six Flags called it a "Z-Coaster"). The site the ride occupied while in Illinois is now occupied by Iron Wolf, a Bolliger and Mabillard stand-up roller coaster.

Sorry for the double post, but I just found this on Screamscape. http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_america.htm

2010 - Glow In The Park Parade - Rumor - (8/18/09) According to the latest rumors, Six Flags Great America may add the Glow In The Park Parade for the 2010 season.

What does everyone think of our current parades? Do you think the Glow In The Park Parade would be better?

When I was at Six Flags St. Louis, I actually heard a couple families and kids say that they didn't want to miss the Glow In The Park Parade, so I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced our current parade as it caters to families.

GITP is amazing here at SFGADV. It it one of the best parades you could ask for. It really is stunning and emotional to see the parade because all the lights shut off and this fantasy music is playing and the floats are amazing. I hope we get something good next year.

I am not too fond with every park having a GITDP....but if it is really that good, then I guess it is worth putting in every park!

I was hoping for a new little flat ride....but too bad my hopes never come true. And the HH expansion in 2 years could possibley mean new coaster in 2012 maybe because our last 2 coasters were wild mouses...

Here's where I think Great America will expand in the future:

Sky Trek Tower/Go Kart/Space Shuttle America "Dead Zone"- because they have already said that, but I think that will ALL be waterpark area expansion.

Southwest Territory: Land behind ampitheater and out towards the American Eagle.

County Fair: Former Splashwater Falls area/car-ride. I don't think they'll salvage (or at least not relocate the car ride) not to replace the big gaping hole where the water-ride was.

Hometown Square: At some point, there just won't be parts or if there are it will be just too high of a maintenence cost to save the Whizzer. (we got lucky a few years back with that, but that's only gonna hold out for so long). If Whizzer goes, expect to see Hometown Fun Machine go as well. For a small flat ride it really does occupy a lot of space. Especially if the Whizzer's footprint is removed next to it.

County Fair (again)- I truly believe Iron Wolf's days are numbered. It's just not the ride it once was and it really has become a head basher. That's still gonna be a bummer though.

Yukon Territory/Yankee Harbor: I don't think Logger's Run will go anywhere but Yankee Clipper . . .? And that takes up quite a bit of space.

On the positive side . . .I will personally help them remove the $7 million Dark Knight if I get the chance. What a waste!!!!

I hate to always bask D.K but I really have no other option . . .where was a Tony Hawk Big Spin when we needed it the most?

Made the trip up last Monday (a day marked by threatening skies and a brief 10 minute mid-day shower) and poor weather forecast made for an incredible day. Ride ops throughout the day were letting riders take repeat rides on both the Demon and American Eagle if there were no riders in the queue gates and by the end of the day, they were doing the same thing on the Viper. Every time we entered the queue for Batman, we just walked all the way through, up to the platform and practically had a train waiting for us every time. Smallest crowds I've ever seen, no doubt due to the weather and some schools being back in session.

I watched part of it, switching between it an Man v. Food, and it was a fairly good show. It's amazing what can be made using the food found around the park, and although I know it'll never happen, I'd like to see Six Flags sell some of it. I did cringe when the coaster enthusiast made the Maverick comment at the end though.

I did cringe when the coaster enthusiast made the Maverick comment at the end though.

Really? I must have missed that part. It was a really fun event and the food was pretty good, plus it was FREE!!! I'm glad they actually aired this during the season. Great publicity for the park! Did anyone see themselves on TV?

I did cringe when the coaster enthusiast made the Maverick comment at the end though.

Really? I must have missed that part. It was a really fun event and the food was pretty good, plus it was FREE!!! I'm glad they actually aired this during the season. Great publicity for the park! Did anyone see themselves on TV?

Some teen said something along the lines of the food being "Maverick good...which is a really good coaster". I was just thinking, "No, don't say that," as it made enthusiasts seem really dorky IMO. If I heard it again though, I probably would laugh but not think much about it. It was one of those things that sounds bad the first time, but in the end, is nothing at all.

It was great propaganda for the park too, and the lead park worker seemed to really promote Six Flags being a family friendly place to visit.

I was just at the park on Tues. WAY more crowded than I expected, but oh well . . .I do have a season pass and am probably going back early next week.

I was a little upset that only the Blue Side of American Eagle was running (given the crowd) until like 4 p.m. when the Red Side mysteriously opened and I was no where near it. (park was only open til 6 . . .BOOOO)

Everything else (besides Superman and Vertical Velocity) had respectable but not overly long waits to ride.

No apparent construction yet. My guess is that next year the main focus will be on the expansion of Hurricane Harbor . . .

But we Really Really Really Need a new coaster---the last good addition to the park (coaster wise) is Raging Bull, but c'mon, we have been living off that for years.

(for the record, I LIKE Superman) but it's TOO short, especially without the dual loading station to enhance the riders per hour.

You really think that a park with 9 adult coasters (most of which are considered to be pretty great) needs another? Why? Capacity is already horrendous enough, some lame coaster vomited up in some corner is not the answer. There are rumors about expanding the water park over the next few years (lots of capacity there), which sounds awesome (even though I've never met a water-park I liked). A big collection of flat-rides would be very welcome too. But a coaster? Save that crap for the rabid, foaming Cedar Fair morons

Cameron.

I think we have an uber epic coaster collection. Alot of our coasters were firsts, like American Eagle, Iron Wolf, Batman, Raging Bull. Whizzer being the only spiral coaster left in North America, that can't go. If you want to see a new coaster, that might now happen. They'll probably take out our twin log flumes and/or Iron Wolf because we don't have a lot of room for a new coaster....

anyone planning on going to SFGAM soon? I want to read some more trip reports!

...There is room where they took out splashwater falls through the back of SW territory. I don't know how much they use SW Amphitheater anymore, they can tear that down, and send the events that used to be there back to the theater by the picnic grove. They better not touch the flumes, as they are some of the most popular non-coaster rides in the park.