TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^^I agree.

There is absolutely no problem with putting in a family oriented attraction. But when you have Mark Shapiro intention say that they're cgoing to build new rides in a builing so you can't see how small it is, then release a promo video saying that it will deliver the same calibur of thrills as Kingda Ka or El Toro? That's just a flat out lie.

I rode the Dark Knight two more times yesterday, and it seems like the teenagers riding it had ridden it before. I head them saying it wasn't good, but it was still fun. The people I rode with on the second time really seemed to like how much fun the coaster was.

I also noticed that the beginning of the pre-show was longer, and there seemed to be more added when the feed was hijacked. Also, families still seem to think the ride has a two hour line since the line goes out of the building despite all of the cutbacks closed off. The actual line was just half of the cutbacks outside of the theater, and then the line just went towards the pre-show room. The actual wait was probably no more than 30-45 minutes if that.

• 7 months later...

To start off this topic....lets talk about the coaster "Iron Wolf"

One of the biggest problems people seem to have with SF Great America would be the oh so wonderful Iron Wolf. It is, in fact, B&M's first roller coaster. Many people seem to have a problem with the ride, mostly about it's roughness and head banging. I think we can all agree that this is the pubic's least favorite ride. It's just one of those rides that is always a walk on, even when the park has reached full capacity.

In my opinion, I want Iron Wolf to stay. I find the ride to be very enjoyable, especially with the tightly squeezed layout. The back really offers a great ride, minus the head banging. I'm not going to whine about it if it gets removed, as I ride it every time I visit, but it will just be one less thing that I ride.

Now, for anyone that lives under a rock, here are some pictures of the ride.

All pictures from the TPR Index!

Link http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=43&linkid=269

Do you think this ride should go? Stay? Why? Lets talk about it.

Edited by larrygator

I don't mind it. It's not my favorite ride by any means, but it isn't terrible, either. Not even that rough in the front. And there's some air off of the hill after going through the loop, which is always fun on a standup. I don't think it should leave. It is kind of a landmark, and it's historic.

But if I had to choose between Iron Wolf and Whizzer, I would take Whizzer in a second.

On Iron Wolf, I rode it last night during Coaster After Dark. My response after riding, other then how stupid the Miracle Whips ads all over the station, was that was my best ride on it, I only banged my head 3 times. If the ride was torn down, I'd pay Six Flags to help tear it down. The only positive is it does get long lines and keeps people out of the lines for other rides.

I'd say keep it just because it is B&M's first coaster.

It does bang you head around some bit, however it was not as bad as Shockwave was. Don't get me wrong, I loved Shockwave, "Weee, ow, ow, ow, weee, ow, ow, weee..."

Removing Deja Vu was the bone head move of the century! Way to to SFGAm!

Yay, a SFGAm thread! Iron Wolf is an OK ride IMO. While it can be rough, it is historic. I think the layout is actually pretty good, especially in those back trees. I think one of the main reasons the ride is so rough is because it uses Intamin trains instead of B&M trains because it was their first ride.

In other news...

Buccaneer Battle

-Hasn't had any long lines yet this season, probably because it's not that warm out, but once the heat of the summer comes the line will be packed! I did have a chance to ride it and even though practically all of the boats were empty, I still had fun and there were plenty of people on the midway using the free water guns.

Also, the ride is much easier to advertise as family friendly because it isn't hidden indoors so people can actually see what they're getting themselves into. This should lead to more satisfaction than there was for The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight *Spoiler Alert*

-More theming has been put in this year, but it looks like it was the original theming that they never put in like some pipes on the drops or the bus on the brake run. It also has some random disco light in the brake run

-It's actually made the ride somewhat enjoyable, but not the best ride in the park by any means

Food Network "Dinner Impossible" Filming

-This happened Friday June 12th as a free event for 250 coaster enthusiasts (of which I was one of. Look for a PTR soon!). They got to work at 10am at the Pink Flamingo cafe in Hurricane Harbor and had to transport all of the food to The Mission in the Southwest Territory. The "theme" was typical theme park food made with a "thrilling twist". Supposedly they had until the bells rang at 7pm and they made it with 31 seconds left.

V2: Vertical Velocity

-Holding brake is either not working or is shut off. This was also the case during Fright Fest last year and I really don't think the ride is the same without it

That's all i've got.

I would take Whizzer in a second.

How dare you little *****!

By the way Whizzer is the only of its kind in the states! (2 left in the rest of the world) I really think Whizzer, although a pain to maintain. Isn't going anywhere soon!

Iron Wolf.... My last few rides on that have been the most painfull rides I have had on any coaster I have ridden. I cant enjoy it like i did last year I was to busy having my nuts smashed and my head boggled beyond belief. Their was even headbanging in the lower sections of the loop for me!

V2: Vertical Velocity

-Holding brake is either not working or is shut off. This was also the case during Fright Fest last year and I really don't think the ride is the same without it

I wonder if it's the same problem that SFDK had with theirs where they just ended up shutting it off forever

Iron Wolf.... My last few rides on that have been the most painfull rides I have had on any coaster I have ridden. I cant enjoy it like i did last year I was to busy having my nuts smashed and my head boggled beyond belief. Their was even headbanging in the lower sections of the loop for me!

Ah yes, Iron Wolf, AKA the nut cracker! My friend found this out the hard way, ouch! It's really bad on the final brake run, they stop the train really hard and *crunch*!!! As for the head banging part, watch out for the corkscrew!

Ah yes, Iron Wolf, AKA the nut cracker! My friend found this out the hard way, ouch! It's really bad on the final brake run, they stop the train really hard and *crunch*!!! As for the head banging part, watch out for the corkscrew!

Don't forget the fact that it's sponsored by Corn Nuts! I have to get a picture of that crunch-o-meter sign!

I would take Whizzer in a second.

How dare you little *****!

By the way Whizzer is the only of its kind in the states! (2 left in the rest of the world) I really think Whizzer, although a pain to maintain. Isn't going anywhere soon!

I don't think Six Flags cares about history at all. Where is the Sky Whirl? How many are left? But I do think that Whizzer is a great family ride and that's what Six Flags wants now. You remember what happened the last time they tried to get rid of Whizzer right? Horrible outcry or something. I remember there was a sign above Whizzer that said "This is the last day Whizzer will be open" Come back a year later and I was releived to see it still open.

Don't forget the fact that it's sponsored by Corn Nuts! I have to get a picture of that crunch-o-meter sign!

I wonder if SF does this as a joke on their painful rides, because Viper at SFMM is the only one there with the crunch-o-meter (although it has been one of the smoother Arrows recently)

No longer sponsored by them. The ride is now sponsored by Miracle Whip. And the ads look beyond out of place.

At least Wolf has a pop of air in the back row before the corkscrew. But it isn't a saving grace, it still needs some major work done or we could be experiencing some Deja Vu (hehe, see what I did there?)!

EDIT: ^^ Didn't those signs say "Hold on to your ears!"?