TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I rode Dark Knight a couple weekends ago and what a disappointment. I mean, I went onto the ride expecting it to suck, and I was still disappointed. I couldn't hear the preshow at all because all the park patrons were so loud and the room was so echoy. They should put some sound dampening stuff around the ceiling in there like those big foam blocks, and have the closed captioning on the preshow so that those of us who actually care to watch it can understand what is going on. Great Adventure is NOT the place to have a pre-show, because everyone is so loud and rude. Same thing has happened to me in the preshow for Houdini.

Anyway, the cars for the ride are neat. They look like little subway cars with the top ripped off. But the ride makes no sense either. You go by the scenes way too fast. We got off the ride and Derek had seen Batman and the Joker in there but I hadn't.

But then we went over to El Toro and got like 6 walk on rides! So I guess I like the Dark Knight for taking the crowds away from the other side of the park!

We went on Dark Knight at Great America this past Saturday and it sucked as much as described above at Great Adventure. Rebekah and I got off both wondering how they expected people to be satisfied with the ride after waiting 2+ hours. It truly was the most pathetic ride experience we had both had in a long time. If Joker and/or Batman were featured somewhere during the ride, neither one of us saw them. I took some pictures of the line and load platform that I'll hopefully be able to post tomorrow in a TR.

Also, the 'no loose articles' policy really put a damper on the whole experience. Long story short, they stopped the queue every 5 people or so to force someone to get out of line and go put stuff in a locker, only to hold up the line the whole time and wait for those guests to get back in the queue.

We went on Dark Knight at Great America this past Saturday and it sucked as much as described above at Great Adventure. Rebekah and I got off both wondering how they expected people to be satisfied with the ride after waiting 2+ hours. It truly was the most pathetic ride experience we had both had in a long time. If Joker and/or Batman were featured somewhere during the ride, neither one of us saw them. I took some pictures of the line and load platform that I'll hopefully be able to post tomorrow in a TR.

Also, the 'no loose articles' policy really put a damper on the whole experience. Long story short, they stopped the queue every 5 people or so to force someone to get out of line and go put stuff in a locker, only to hold up the line the whole time and wait for those guests to get back in the queue.

I know that was my biggest complaint. I don't know what they were thinking but hopefuly by next year everyone will realize that the ride sucks and nobody will want to ride it.

Based on the reviews that I am hearing, it makes me almost glad that SFNE didn't get their version...

Maybe SF will invest in something worthwhile for next year, but they'll probably keep that stupid football game there instead.

• 3 months later...

The cars look nice, but are incredibly painful in the corners. The pre-show is really good actually, but at the end of the day it's just a mouse. I don't think the ride is that bad, it's just that it seemed to be built up quite a lot and then the ride experience was rather forgettable.

Dave

I know that was my biggest complaint. I don't know what they were thinking but hopefuly by next year everyone will realize that the ride sucks and nobody will want to ride it.

At Great Adventure Batman's in it twice. And the Joker is in it once I believe...

I rode the one at SFGAm, and I didn't think it was too bad. The line was way longer than it should have been, though. It's just a wild mouse and not worth an hour and a half wait.

The theming is extremely simple. It's just like cardboard cutouts that are pushed around with air pistons. There are some lights inside and a few dark corners, but it's nothing exciting. It's a straightforward wild mouse, basically. It's not among the best wild mouse coasters I've been on.

I still don't get why people are upset that it is a wild mouse. It is not supposed to be an El Toro in a box like it seems people expected. It is a ride for families, and for the most part, most families seem to like it when they get off. Now, the ride is by no means worth a 2 hour wait, but the line should be shorter next year when they know it is just a simple family ride.

One thing that confuses me is that most of the enthusiasts here seemed excited for this coaster, but now that it is open, they act surprised to find out it is a family style coaster. What the hell happened between then and now?

I personally like the ride as it is just fun to ride. I don't plan to wait two hours for it again, but I'll still ride it if it has say a 30 minute wait. It is not a great coaster, but it accomplishes what it was supposed to do.

I still don't get why people are upset that it is a wild mouse.
Now, the ride is by no means worth a 2 hour wait

You just answered your own question.

IMO I think it's a disservice to "family rides" when you build something that has a very low PPH capacity. Have you ever stood in a line with young kids, you know a true "family." It's usually quite a challenge especailly on the parents.

I think you need to either build a ride that has a high hourly capacity or build something that is at least "unique" when you get to the end of the line.

DK has neither. That is why people are frustrated with it.

--Robb

People who aren't enthusiasts have no idea it is a wild mouse. At GADV, the entrance sign describes it as a "high thrill." I believe it was mentioned in another thread possibly on another site that a spokesperson for Great Adventure said last year, "If you like Kingda Ka and El Toro, you will like the Dark Knight"

So when people wait in that line and find out it is just a mouse, they get upset. Lines for it haven't been that bad at Great Adventure. I rode it with a less than 10 minute wait on Friday night and since the next pre-show had not let out yet, it was empty in the loading area and I got a re-ride. Even so, I still see lots of people giving the thumbs down sign when they exit or saying how bad it is. Even families with younger kids have come out of the exit disappointed.

Another reason people are upset is because they say, "they got rid of Chiller for this?!" In a season where we lost Chiller, Movietown Water Effect (Splashdown boat), Swings, Bumper Cars, Music Express and Houdini, the Dark Knight doesn't make up for all of that.

It's a fun ride, but I will never wait more than 15 minutes for it.

People who aren't enthusiasts have no idea it is a wild mouse. At GADV, the entrance sign describes it as a "high thrill." I believe it was mentioned in another thread possibly on another site that a spokesperson for Great Adventure said last year, "If you like Kingda Ka and El Toro, you will like the Dark Knight"

The Dark Knight better than El Toro or Kingka Ka. Wow, they were way off!

Another reason people are upset is because they say, "they got rid of Chiller for this?!" In a season where we lost Chiller, Movietown Water Effect (Splashdown boat), Swings, Bumper Cars, Music Express and Houdini, the Dark Knight doesn't make up for all of that.

Well, that explains why so many people hate the Dark Knight coaster. Did they really need to remove so many rides for this ride? Sorry, but I have never been to SFGAdv, so I don't really know the whole layout.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this video has been posted already, but it features a few shots of the ride and the guest reactions at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZrLS37AAuI

Notice how dull and fake the guest reactions are?

I went yesterday, a Saturday during Fright Fest, and let me tell you, TDK had only about a half an hour wait the whole day. The line WAS coming out of the entrance but once you got to the main queuing are, they only used about 2 of the rows.

Everyone else seemed either fed up with TDK and went to Raging Bull--3 hour wait all day--or were obligatory to the fact it was even there.

Nonetheless, its a FUN ride. The pre show is great and gets people ready. If you have never ridden it before, you don't know where the drops are and all the special effects are really cool. I know that when I'm in the tunnel during the ride, I got a little freaked.

I also saw numerous families in line for TDK. We rode with a 5 year old and his dad, and they had a great time.

Not to mention that TDK is heated and it was about 40 yesterday!

I still don't get why people are upset that it is a wild mouse.

Speaking only for myself here:

My favorite part of a wild mouse is that the really cheesy ones seem really unstable. I like that on the high turns you almost feel like the car is going to flip off the tracks. This is especially true for a big guy like me. On the DK the walls take that element away for me. So what if it falls off? I'd just be laying on a wall.

Okay. I need to but in here. Chiller was out on it's own reasons! That ride was a hex. Had nothing but problems, had a bad accident and cost the park too much money. BUT, TDK did NOT replace Chiller. TDK is actually on the spot of MTWE. Directly next to Chiller. Also, Autobahn (bumber cars), Music Express and Houdini are still there. I've walked by Autobahn and Music Express this seasn and I'll tell you it's still there. And Houdiniis still operational. Corprate told the park not to open it. But they are fighing for it next year. Music Express and Autobahn might also open next year.

Okay. I need to but in here. Chiller was out on it's own reasons! That ride was a hex. Had nothing but problems, had a bad accident and cost the park too much money. BUT, TDK did NOT replace Chiller. TDK is actually on the spot of MTWE. Directly next to Chiller. Also, Autobahn (bumber cars), Music Express and Houdini are still there. I've walked by Autobahn and Music Express this seasn and I'll tell you it's still there. And Houdiniis still operational. Corprate told the park not to open it. But they are fighing for it next year. Music Express and Autobahn might also open next year.

I know Chiller has nothing to do with TDK. But most people don't, that's why I mentioned it. On family fun fall night, I was talking with some people and one made that exact comment how TDK is a horrible replacement for the Chiller.

I also know those rides are still there but with them being SBNO, it feels like we lost so much and gained little.

there is nothing wrong with a fun family ride.....however I do believe six flags falsely marketed this ride as a thrill ride.....as stated previously it is even labeled as "high thrill" on the entrance sign......the same rating as Kingda Ka, for example.

Unfortunately advertising the ride as a family coaster would not generate the hype and publicity that draws people to the park, thus the reason they marketed it towards thrill seekers as well. Non-coaster geeks have no idea that the ride is a wild mouse, and I'm sure in their heads they are expecting a mini El Toro in the dark. Obviously the size of the building and such should hint that this may not be the case, but this type of reasoning doesn't......and really shouldn't have to......enter the minds of your average park go-er.

I don't think most people even think about the size of the building, and even then I have heard a few people expecting it to be like Rock N Roller Coaster.

I agree with you about the marketing. Had they marketed it as a family coaster, you wouldn't see the complaints.

There are rides enthusiasts hate like Boomerang's and SLC's but I have never heard such negative reception about any of them compared to TDK. The worst was one guy saying in May when exiting to the line "please, I am begging you, get out of line it is horrible."