TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I think expecting to have the ride up and running by July is cutting it close. This is a Vekoma GIB coaster remember. The things are a b*tch!

Looks like the pieces at Silverwood are the original colors. Yes it'd be nice if they painted it different colors, but it'd also have an odd feeling if they kept the colors the same.

Deja Vu is intense enough as it is, imagine how its going to be once its rebuilt. Wowzah!

I'll be at the park on the 26th (job interview!) I'll see if I can get a good look as I've never been near the HR offices so I don't know where it is relative to vu. Doubtful I'll have time to snap pics.

Don't get your hopes up on getting any good pics. The HR offices are basically outside the park in trailers in the employee parking lot. Good luck with the job. What are you going for?

The thing is this. The ride is not new, and I don't know if it has to go through as much testing as it is new. However, I want to say that Silverwood is probably doing a lot of stuff now. They are probably putting footers in, and working on moving underground wires and so on. The track is the last thing to put up, and it's much easier to put up than the footers. The footers are the thing that takes the longest.

Getting that track over there means diddly squat if they don't have the footers up yet. It's just going to sit there unless they painting the pieces on site when they coming to the park. If that ride isn't open by July, I think that ride should open next year though. Why? Already, your new ride isn't even open in July (Pretend it's not.). That's bad, and a lot people are going to get excited, and it won't be open. It's too late in the season to buy a used ride, and they should have put it up in 2009.

^^ I interviewed for rides. Parts of Deja vu were sitting in the lot, we drove right past them and parked nearby. Couldn't get a decent shot with my cell phone as I was there for a job interview I didn't want to do anything that would look bad. Also, parts of the cobra roll were gone & they were working on it today. On a side note, mechanics were working on Iron Wolf, they were up the lift hill and were running trains midway through my interview and as I was leaving and Raging bull's paint job is looking good. looked like they were 15% done.

For those wondering- I did get the job, but that's contingent on finding somewhere to stay during the season to keep it, I didn't qualify for seasonal housing because of my lack of dorm experience. So if anyone need a roommate in the Gurnee area or know someone, let me know!

-Tracy

thats cool...i've heard diving machines aren't all that thrilling and don't offer much...this is why many people speculate SFMM has not invested in one...i much rather like to see things for myself...besides...this would be the first diving machine in a six flags park, so im sure they will work with b&m to add some elements to make it appealing. Six Flags has a tendecy to add a couple more feet or a couple extra miles per hour or an etra inversion to rides for them to be "record breakers". I'm sure if a Six Flags park were to get a diving machine, we will see a unique and thrilling layout that differs greatly from the ones found in Busch Garden parks

• 3 weeks later...
Bumped for the person interested.

I have no idea how that bump helped anyone, but I guess I missed something.

In any case, I just came across THIS Trip Report over at sfgamworld.com and it has several photos of the nearly completely removed Deja Vu.

What I wouldn't give to have Sky Whirl and Hay Baler placed back in that footprint!

I have no idea how that bump helped anyone, but I guess I missed something.

Pretty much! A new member had posted a new thread requesting info about the ride removal, but it got submitted multiple times. All the duplicate threads were deleted, so I just bumped this so the poster could find what he was looking for.

Wes, thanks for the non-sarcastic reply. I guess I just missed the initial post you were bumping this for. PURE, awesome reply ... RTFM, classy.

Looks like things are finally starting to progress at the park. Eagle is getting a lot of work done to it, Deja Vu is almost gone and I guess Splashwater Falls is completely gone (would love to see what that area looks like now). Additionally, it's too bad they had to butcher Theater Royale like that for the new Batman Dark Knight ride.

^The reason I said that is because you, in fact, answered the very question you asked in your post by linking us to an update of the topic's thread.

Which is great, I haven't seen any updates on Vu's removal since the loop was removed. I was just yankin your chain, sorry if it came off any other way.

The Eagle always gets a lot of work done to it. "Looks like things are finally starting to progress at the park." I don't think that's progress taking things out, and replacing them with no other rides. I kind of think you mean that they are finally taking out the rides they said they would instead of it's better Splash Water Falls, Deja Vu, and Space Shuttle America are either removed, or just standing there doing absolutely nothing.

It's just you gotta move on, and we have what we have. However, I think that two rides across from each other gone might make people feel a little jipped that they didn't replace them with anything. These are big chunk rides. I doubt they will care about Space Shuttle America. Yes, they got Dark Knight, but they are replacing yet another thing which was a theater.

There won't be a lot of entertainment this year compared to last year. They added concerts, but they are only so often, and replacing Operational Spygirl. They are adding the two video shows, but than that means that there will be less other live shows performances per day at that same theater. I have no idea what's happening with the Pictorium.

Last year, they liked to have these little shows in which like 25 people watch. You would think that it's more important to show a show in which thousands of people watch instead of 25 whole people. They know it's cheaper to do something that, and they think it's important. I think those are wasteful spending.

They have a show like Manny B and the Rhytmics, and hardly anyone is watching them. What's the point of having them? I don't think they sound that bad, but if no one is watching them for however long it is, why spend that money to have them?

I really think they are going to be sorry for getting rid of a theater. Our park had 3 indoor theaters, and I think the one they should have gotten rid of is the Pictorium. You can only show movies in that theater. In the other two, you could show movies, or have live people. I thought the show that was in the Theater Royale was a bad show. It's was a Bugs Bunny show. I used to like Bugs Bunny shows before, but than they became so lame. I forgot about them putting in the Wiggle's Show in Wiggle's World. That's over a canopy.

They probably figured that we mostly put Bugs Bunny in that show, and thus why do we need it? We have Wiggle's World in county fair. I think it's about the air-conditioning, and the more seats in Theater Royale.

In my opinion, I think indoor shows are better because you are in air-conditioning when it's 95 degrees outside, but you still want to see something good nether the less.

Wow, that post was truly stream of consciousness!

What I meant by progressing is that they are completing a lot of the changes they announced. With the park's official opening less than a week away, it'll be interesting to see if they get Deja Vu completely out of there in time.

As far as the shows go, I basically agree with you. While this version of Great America has held on to it's "theming" a lot better than it's California cousin, it too is slowly losing the Marriott charm. It does seem a bit odd to me to take out a child friendly theater when all you do (as mgt) is blather on and on about being a family company, but then again I'm not in charge. At some point I think they need to retheme that little corner to SuperheroLand or something (with Superman and Batman not really fitting into the "Orleans" theme).

Anyways, I'm glad to see Deja Vu go. Not just because it took the place of my beloved Sky Whirl, either. I never really enjoyed the ride and the maintenance issues the first few years became comical.

Keep the faith Viva, maybe those bare spots of land will be covered with a mega theater complex at this time next year

• 2 months later...

I always thought that this ride kinda defeats the purpous of its existance. Aparently its more of a family oriented coaster but the pre-show would be scary for a young child and a two hour wait for a mouse isn't acceptable. I dunno... good theming, to me, doesn't make up for a lousy ride.