TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

My favorite thing about impulse coasters is when they were new, everyone was in awe at how wobbly the towers were as the train went up and down them. And how all of these armchair engineers and physicists proclaimed “if it didn’t bend, it would break!” Fast-forward a few years, and every impulse coaster now has additional supports because the swaying apparently caused too much stress/wear/fractures/what have you - there was a profound structural reason for them. Obviously the saying “if it doesn’t bend it’ll break” is true to an extent, but these rides took it too far. Oh, Intamin.

Edited by southpuddle

It tends to snow in April and once in a while in May. Winter likes to hang on as long as it can. The park will probably use this snow day as an excuse for why Maxx Force will open in June

If you read the posts and comments in that group then you'll see that the stupid name fits.

So according to the events list on the parks site Maxx Force will have it’s membership ERT on May 24th.

Of what year?

Yeah, so true at the current pace their going I don't expect the ride opening until June. If they wanted the Member ERT to be on May 24th they would need to have the final two inversions done by the end of the week but even then.

I feel like they'll miss Memorial Day by a week or two, though I remember a couple of years ago thinking there would be no way Justice League would be completed in time and they somehow busted ass and got it done. Maybe barring anymore snow, and some intense overtime?? Either way, the ride looks kick ass and I cant wait to see if it dethrones Xcelerator(imo) as the most intense launch in the country.

^ It’s not the park announced the actual opening date yet just that membership ERT. That’s what I’m questioning the most though. Why would park announce when the date of the membership event but not the official opening date? The official opening date should be announced before any kind of ERT or at least along with those said ERTs. As for me I have to agree with you I don’t see the coaster being ready three weeks from now.

I remember a couple of years ago thinking there would be no way Justice League would be completed in time and they somehow busted A$$ and got it done. Maybe barring anymore snow, and some intense overtime??

They're not going to bust their ass to be ready for a small event that they probably forgot they even put on the website (plus even if they did this thing wouldn't be ready).

I don't know the exact corporate structure but it's evident that there's no communication whatsoever between the web team and anyone else at the company. That's been evident for years. Everything posted (or not posted: they closed like 8 hours early on Saturday but you probably didn't know that because they didn't post it anywhere) on any Six Flags website or social media page should be taken with a grain of salt. Last year they wrote some big write-up in a web post / press release about how you'd be overcome with Holiday Magic or whatever while riding the drop tower during Holiday in the Park while park employees actually at the park were busy winterizing it and turning it into a giant Christmas tree with absolutely no intention of running it for the event whatsoever.

Enthusiasts need to stop operating under the assumption that Six Flags parks know or care what's on the website because they should know better by now. I know someone is reading this and preparing to write some response about why they should care and how it's bullsh*t that they don't care about the internet and social media in 2019 and I mean... yeah... but they don't, so deal with it.

I remember a couple of years ago thinking there would be no way Justice League would be completed in time and they somehow busted A$$ and got it done. Maybe barring anymore snow, and some intense overtime??

They're not going to bust their A$$ to be ready for a small event that they probably forgot they even put on the website (plus even if they did this thing wouldn't be ready).

I don't know the exact corporate structure but it's evident that there's no communication whatsoever between the web team and anyone else at the company. That's been evident for years. Everything posted (or not posted: they closed like 8 hours early on Saturday but you probably didn't know that because they didn't post it anywhere) on any Six Flags website or social media page should be taken with a grain of salt. Last year they wrote some big write-up in a web post / press release about how you'd be overcome with Holiday Magic or whatever while riding the drop tower during Holiday in the Park while park employees actually at the park were busy winterizing it and turning it into a giant Christmas tree with absolutely no intention of running it for the event whatsoever.

Enthusiasts need to stop operating under the assumption that Six Flags parks know or care what's on the website because they should know better by now. I know someone is reading this and preparing to write some response about why they should care and how it's bullsh*t that they don't care about the internet and social media in 2019 and I mean... yeah... but they don't, so deal with it.

To be fair, I never mentioned the ERT day and was referring to Memorial Day (which is usually the day Six Flags eyes as their target chain wide). I did preface by saying I think they will miss a Memorial Day opening by 1-2 weeks, just highlighting the irony of them completing the impossible in a crunch in the past.

It doesn't seem that Six Flags has no intentions of rushing this ride. Why should they? It's free advertising for tickets later in the year. Since so many guests are already season pass holders I wouldn't think that Maxx Force not being open is going to keep them from coming to the park, spending money, and bringing guests during discount days. I personally see Six Flags as being the 'Walmart of Parks,' to an extent and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. It works for Six Flags and I'm glad they're doing well due to the current business strategy. Maxx Force will eventually open. It just may take a while. I wouldn't hang my hopes on every pile of dirt being moved that it will be open by the end of May.

I personally see Six Flags as being the 'Walmart of Parks,' to an extent

I'm with you on this. I've said that same thing. Hey, it seems to be working for both though, so....

I just hope it's ready to go by my trip June 16th...

You've had pretty good luck so far. Copperhead worked out for you. Hopefully this will too.

Fingers crossed but I'm not too worried either way since I'm flexible with this trip lol

Just drove by the park and it looks impressive from the highway, but you've got to know to look for it among the crowded skyline.

I haven't been in the area in a while and yeah, it takes over an hour to drive there from my apartment north of the city. If you had any traffic it'd easily take 90-120 minutes from the city.