TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

My Six Flags Great America survey is about rides - more specifically about the RMC Wonder Woman. I'm on my 5th question about how I think that type of ride would fit in the park.

Mine had a video of a Dive coaster. Which I’d like to see vs a raptor

A Dive probably runs anywhere from 2 to 3 times the price of a Raptor. This isn't an either/or thing.

Yeah B&M is a class or 2 above RCM. Just when I took a survey for SFGAm it had a video of a dive coaster and one of the questions mentioned a dive coaster. A raptor was not listed as an option. Maybe we will get a Vekoma Dive coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

So if anyone else comments that "It's too cold for a Holiday event at **insert park here** and refuses to subscribe to the idea that people are used to the seasonal averages wherever they live and don't care then direct them to this video that someone shot of Great America last night when the temperatures were hovering around the high teens / low 20's. The place is packed given the conditions.

Note: Raging Bull running in those conditions at the 19 second mark because Six Flags is awesome.

Video from some Random Facebook post. (Caution - Vertical Video)

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Yes Six Flags is really good when it comes to cold weather ride ops. Kings Island has three coasters open. Only two are full size. And one of those is indoors. Herschend does a little bit better job down in Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, but they still appear to follow the manufacturer's recommended minimum operating temperatures. Only Six Flags appears to actually completely ignore that and test rides at various temperatures - only they appear to actually strive to figure out what the true minimum temperature is for any given layout. Whatever complaints I may have about individual Parks, or individual park administration staff members, or the corporation itself, cold weather operations isn't a weak spot.

I suppose the closest comparison is Disney. They do appear to attempt to operate the outdoor coasters in Paris as long as they possibly can.

I haven't had a chance to go since I had trips to Dollywood and SFOG but knowing one of my favorite rides at my homepark is running at around 20 degrees is awesome. Time to add Batman and Raging Bull to the under 40 degree club with Lightning Rod and others.

Yes Six Flags is really good when it comes to cold weather ride ops. Kings Island has three coasters open. Only two are full size. And one of those is indoors. Herschend does a little bit better job down in Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, but they still appear to follow the manufacturer's recommended minimum operating temperatures. Only Six Flags appears to actually completely ignore that and test rides at various temperatures - only they appear to actually strive to figure out what the true minimum temperature is for any given layout. Whatever complaints I may have about individual Parks, or individual park administration staff members, or the corporation itself, cold weather operations isn't a weak spot.

Cedar Fair seems to be choosing not to open up their rides in order to dedicate more resources to the lights and Christmas atmosphere. This appears extremely successful. There's no reason to please a few coaster enthusiasts when Cedar Fair parks are attracting families in droves. I also suspect that less visitors to Cedar Fair Winterfest events are season pass holders.

• 3 weeks later...

HITP Trip Report

Today I made my third HITP trip and without a doubt this was the best. I’ll even say this was probably the best visit to the park all season. Due to snowy weather the park was very empty so lines were nonexistent yet the park didn’t close early. Even with the snow I had no trouble ride every ride I wanted to at least twice because if this. I really enjoyed riding the coaster in the snow also. I was even lucky enough to get a solo ride on V2 and BTR(including the last train of the day). I thought about making another visit but after today I don’t think I’ll be going back until next year. I would rather end the season on a very high note.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

Oh yeah they ran the coasters in the snow alright. The only thing that wold of made it better is if Goliath was open.

The inversion near stall elements on Goliath probably make cold operations difficult. I agree I'd love to see if it could run.

Just something I noticed. I was looking at the original Six Flags Dubai when I noticed a coaster that looked familiar in one of the concept arts.

sfd.jpg.5bd629716009d6fd8032a66682762845.jpg

maxxforce.thumb.jpg.d139609e54965d936832fe0e33777cbd.jpg

(I can't find a better picture of the side)

I wonder if Maxx Force was planned for a while and Six Flags decided to move it to this park?

Just something I noticed. I was looking at the original Six Flags Dubai when I noticed a coaster that looked familiar in one of the concept arts.

[attachment=0]sfd.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]maxxforce.jpg[/attachment]

I wonder if Maxx Force was planned for a while and Six Flags decided to move it to this park?

Maxx Force was designed to fit that tiny parcal of land. It was gonna launch over the train tracks but they rerouted the train to keep the launch around ground level. This coaster was 100% designed from the ground up for this park.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely interested to see how a real POV will compare to the animated one. Hopefully the queue line will have some of the racing-style decorations as well, similar to how the station itself looks!