TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Well, the weather looks like it's going to suck for our trip to KI this weekend, so I think we're going to detour to Great America. I haven't been to the park since Goliath's opening. I have a few quick questions:

1) I had heard that if I had yet to process our SF season pass at our home park (STSTL), I could still gain admission at SFGam by either having the pass processed at SFGam, or getting a one day voucher. Does anyone know if this is still a thing, or am I going to have to pay admission?

2) We plan on getting Platinum Flash Passes this Saturday, or will this be a huge waste of money? Also, is Goliath unlimited on the Platinum Flash Pass?

3) Where is the closest Chicago style pizza place? Is there anything within 20-30 minutes of the park? We'll gladly settle for any of the places die hard pizza snobs sneer at, like Gino's, Unos, Giardanos (spelling?), etc.

Thanks,

Zach

3) Where is the closest Chicago style pizza place? Is there anything within 20-30 minutes of the park? We'll gladly settle for any of the places die hard pizza snobs sneer at, like Gino's, Unos, Giardanos (spelling?), etc.

There may be a better local one-off place for deep dish that I don't know about up that way, but of the major chicago deep-dish chains, Lou Malnati's is my personal favorite, and there is one located in nearby Third Lake, IL, about 10 minutes west from the park's south entrance/exit (the one down at Washington St., not the main one up at Grand Ave.)

There are deep-dish options closer to the park on Grand Ave. by Gurnee Mills (Giordano's, Uno's , Rosati's), but I do suggest that you go a tiny bit further out of your way for Malnati's. It will be worth it.

If you love a ridiculously meaty pizza (and who doesn't), I would suggest you get deep dish pizza with sausage, onions, and giardinera w/ butter crust. It's one of my all-time most favorite "perfect pizzas". Hold the giardinera if you don't do heat.

Well, the weather looks like it's going to suck for our trip to KI this weekend, so I think we're going to detour to Great America. I haven't been to the park since Goliath's opening. I have a few quick questions:

1) I had heard that if I had yet to process our SF season pass at our home park (STSTL), I could still gain admission at SFGam by either having the pass processed at SFGam, or getting a one day voucher. Does anyone know if this is still a thing, or am I going to have to pay admission?

2) We plan on getting Platinum Flash Passes this Saturday, or will this be a huge waste of money? Also, is Goliath unlimited on the Platinum Flash Pass?

Thanks,

Zach

Fair warning, it's only going to be in the low to mid 50's this weekend. Not much of a trade off.

2) We plan on getting Platinum Flash Passes this Saturday, or will this be a huge waste of money? Also, is Goliath unlimited on the Platinum Flash Pass

I'm going to say you shouldn't have to buy the PFP. Besides as far as I know the only ride that even available on the PFP is Joker.

Thanks,

Zach

Fair warning, it's only going to be in the low to mid 50's this weekend. Not much of a trade off.

Yeah, I saw that, but it won't be mid 50's and raining like it will be at KI. I'm fine with jacket weather.

2) We plan on getting Platinum Flash Passes this Saturday, or will this be a huge waste of money? Also, is Goliath unlimited on the Platinum Flash Pass

I'm going to say you shouldn't have to buy the PFP. Besides as far as I know the only ride that even available on the PFP is Joker.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be necessary, but will it at least be useful? I'd like multiple rerides on Goliath, X-Flight, Batman, and Raging Bull. I've had the passes before where they were almost useless. I just want to avoid that scenario.

Whoops, I just realized that the Lou Malnati's up near Great America that I recommended is one of their carry-out/delivery only restaurants, there's no dine-in service offered there.

I forget that many of Malnati's suburban locations are not full service restaurants. I live down in the city where that's not the case. In fact my local Malanti's is their original restaurant in Lincolnwood, about 3 miles west of me.

Oh well, at least there's still a Giordano's and Uno's very close to the park on Grand Ave on the other side of the tollway near Gurnee Mills.

With all this talk of touristy-popular (don't get me wrong - I had to have Skyline when I was recently at KI) pizza around Chicago, it's got me thinking of the Dairy Queen down the road from Great America! Dang it's hard to find those in the city (proper)! We only have a few... I'll only give myself a max of 2 visits to the DQ during my Great America days/nights this year. Trying to get off all the extra sugar and "stuff." But man a DQ can hit the spot on a hot day!

Edited by JT325

Whoops, I just realized that the Lou Malnati's up near Great America that I recommended is one of their carry-out/delivery only restaurants, there's no dine-in service offered there.

I forget that many of Malnati's suburban locations are not full service restaurants. I live down in the city where that's not the case. In fact my local Malanti's is their original restaurant in Lincolnwood, about 3 miles west of me.

Oh well, at least there's still a Giordano's and Uno's very close to the park on Grand Ave on the other side of the tollway near Gurnee Mills.

Thanks for the pizza tips. They're very much appreciated! Which would you recommend for the best full service experience? Like a good place to sit, have a few beers, and really enjoy our meal/unwind after a day at the park? I'm also a pretty big fan of heinously cheesy pizza.

Anyone else care to comment on the Flash Lane Platinum pass? I usually like to make my best guess and purchase right away to make the most of it, especially since the park is only open until 830. However, I'm also trying to avoid silent hatred from my wife as we pass through empty queues with our $250 purchase... Been there, done that.

Thanks for the pizza tips. They're very much appreciated! Which would you recommend for the best full service experience? Like a good place to sit, have a few beers, and really enjoy our meal/unwind after a day at the park? I'm also a pretty big fan of heinously cheesy pizza.

Giordano's or Uno's will be a wash on the experience/ambiance front. They're both gonna be rather generic suburban chain pizza restaurants located in strip mall outbuildings, ie. nothing terribly special.

But if you're into obscene amounts of cheese, then go to Giordano's. they put about 5 pounds of cheese into every deep dish pie.

It's overkill in my opinion (I prefer a more balanced pie), but if cheese is your bag, then you should be very, very happy.

It's over an hour away from the park and a completely different style of pizza (cracker thin, not deep dish), but I'd be remiss if I don't at least mention the best pizza I've had in Chicago, Vito & Nick's. They're practically a South Side institution, and you can find videos on YouTube showing the place off, including some Food Network clips. That Italian beef pizza is worth a small detour, even if you end up hitting it on your way back home instead of after the park.

It's over an hour away from the park and a completely different style of pizza (cracker thin, not deep dish), but I'd be remiss if I don't at least mention the best pizza I've had in Chicago, Vito & Nick's. They're practically a South Side institution, and you can find videos on YouTube showing the place off, including some Food Network clips. That Italian beef pizza is worth a small detour, even if you end up hitting it on your way back home instead of after the park.

Vito & Nick's is absolutely one of the best, if not THE best, classic chicago thin crust pizza joints.

Their pizza is magical, I only wish they weren't located so far away from me on the deep southwest side.

But they don't do chicago style deep dish, which is what I think our man prozach has a hankering for.

But if you're into obscene amounts of cheese, then go to Giordano's. they put about 5 pounds of cheese into every deep dish pie.

It's overkill in my opinion (I prefer a more balanced pie), but if cheese is your bag, then you should be very, very happy.

I'm a big fan of Giordano's Stuffed (in reasonable portions), but I also think their thin crust is better than Lou Malnati's & Gino's.

Thanks,

Zach

I got a Platinum FP when I visited SFGAm last summer and Goliath reservations were unlimited. JL:BFM was limited to two reservations on the Platinum FP, but that was the only ride that was limited. So if your goal is to marathon Goliath, Raging Bull, X-Flight, and Batman, you should be good to go.

Right. I'm just worried about buying the passes early and then finding out that every ride is a station wait without the pass. Basically, I'm looking for input on how a Saturday in early May typically is with common crowds. I want the fp, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I've never been to any park on a Saturday in May, so I'm clueless.

I went on a Saturday in May last year (Memorial Day Weekend) and it wasn't too bad. I remember moderate waits for coasters (Highest was maybe 40 minutes, most 15 or 20), but Justice League was 2 hours or so since it had just opened that day. It was also pretty hot that day IIRC. You might luck out since the weather's not the best. I'd wait until you get to the park to decide if you need a PFP or not

The park opens at 1030, so I think I'm going to wait until 12 and call it. If lines are over 20 minutes for the major attractions, I'm going all in. I take 5-6 park trips a year, so I spoil myself on each visit.

The park opens at 1030, so I think I'm going to wait until 12 and call it. If lines are over 20 minutes for the major attractions, I'm going all in. I take 5-6 park trips a year, so I spoil myself on each visit.

If you do get the platinum flash pass, can you confirm that you got double rides this year? I've seen most of the Six Flags websites have removed this from a benefit of the platinum but SFGAm hasn't. I assume their website is accurate, but would love confirmation.

I've read posts online on how Six Flags has changed a few policies this year and everyone has cited the elimination of double rides. I was just assuming this was only at select parks. I plan on spending an entire day at the park for my one visit this year for the first time in my life. I grew up going to the park, worked at the park but don't think I've ever done a whole day. I live in Orlando now but go back to visit family every summer so get one visit. So plan on going all out if double rides are part of the package still.