TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

If it weren't for a visit to SFA, I wouldn't be getting a pass this year.

Honestly, this park has turned into a 'one visit a season' stop. The clientele, inconsistent operations, and lack of fun you can have without a flashpass is kind of what did it in for me. I'd rather just pick one day to go all day with a Flashpass. I think I've only had one visit where the crowds were manageable without a FP.

I hate when enthusiast bring up clientele in an argument. How is someone else trying to have fun effecting your ability to have fun? Enthusiast thinking they are holier than thou is getting quite old.

I'm talking about line jumping, selfie sticks, parents treating the park like a daycare, people pushing by you in the midway, and the sheer ratio of rude guests to decent guests I/friends experience on a regular visit. Or more so than any other park I have frequented. I'm not asking anyone to get out of my way of having fun. It's a park. Be loud and have fun, but if you're being an @$$hole, then I have an issue. The above is just part of my issue with the park as of 2017.

I think if the park cancelled the Membership passes, Lines and crowds would be much better.

Thinking about taking a trip to the park on Saturday, May 7. I haven't been to the park in a few years. How are crowds typically this time of year? Is the flash pass necessary?

They can be manageable, but also run the chance of being pretty heavy if it's 75*F and sunny. Spring crowds are totally weather dependent. Flash Pass should be played by ear. You'd probably want to plan on a Gold since most rides are 15-20 min waits from the merge points. Just choose the next ride as soon as your pass is cleared. Also, Joker is the only Platinum ride listed, so it's a moot point at that time.

SFGAm is always a crapshoot as far as crowds go however. The days where you're looking at constant lines are happening more and more. But it is Spring and the weather can be volatile, so that can be a benefit.

The joker sign being put up on to the supports of the ride.

This looks sooooo familiar

Yep. It's the same sign they put on the one at sfot.

giphy.gif

prozach626, if you do get a Flash Pass and budget for it, I highly recommend the platinum. I used it on a BFF day and it made my day so much better. Like others have said, I put in my next ride in right after scanning so I can zip to the next ride without waiting. At the end of the day I marathoned Raging Bull. (I did five or so rides in a row before the people at the back end of the line even came close to the front.

Thinking about taking a trip to the park on Saturday, May 7. I haven't been to the park in a few years. How are crowds typically this time of year? Is the flash pass necessary?

I'd say FP is a must. You don't have to do Platinum, but that does force you to pick Goliath or JL or Joker for first ride at opening. You'll likely have to wait an hour or so for any later in the day.

I'd say FP is a must. You don't have to do Platinum, but that does force you to pick Goliath or JL or Joker for first ride at opening. You'll likely have to wait an hour or so for any later in the day.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/flash-pass

According to the website, Goliath and JL are available on all Flash Passes... Doesn't seem right, but it's what they published. So it's an extra $30-35 for double rides basically since Joker won't be open in early May.

So it's an extra $30-35 for double rides basically since Joker won't be open in early May.

Fun fact. Double ride platinum is no longer a thing at any Six Flags park according to the websites. All of the park websites were changed about a month or two ago to take out the double ride stuff and now only advertise a 90% shorter wait.

Edit: whether or not this holds true I don't know. Also the fine print at the bottom of the sfgam site still says it's only available at select rides, even though it was removed from the main description, so, *shrug*

So it's an extra $30-35 for double rides basically since Joker won't be open in early May.

Fun fact. Double ride platinum is no longer a thing at any Six Flags park according to the websites. All of the park websites were changed about a month or two ago to take out the double ride stuff and now only advertise a 90% shorter wait.

Edit: whether or not this holds true I don't know. Also the fine print at the bottom of the sfgam site still says it's only available at select rides, even though it was removed from the main description, so, *shrug*

I can confirm that double rides on the Platinum Flash Pass are a thing of the past (at SFMM). Just visited SFMM this past weekend and got a Platinum FP, but I didn't get a wristband and there was no mention of double rides. I would think that this change would be across all parks, so I'm interested to see if any parks will still offer the double rides. It's not a huge deal with the Platinum as your next window to ride is generally open by the time you get off a ride.

I did a Platinum FP when I visited SFGAm last summer and got 50 rides in, including 10 on Goliath (which didn't allow double rides). There were no restrictions on how many times I could ride Goliath, I just had to get back in the FP line each time. The only ride that limited my FP reservations was JL:BFM, which I was limited to only 2 reservations. I was fine with the JL limitation as two times was plenty for me, I was mainly there for the coasters.

Anyone have any idea how busy the "sneak preview weekend" will be? Friday in particular. My girlfriend and I were thinking of driving down from Minneapolis.

Friday and Saturday are going to be overcast and thunderstorms, but it's also BAF for $9.99 so it's a bit hard to tell. (I actually heard that the park themselves has NO idea how crowded it will be) If it's an option for you, Easter Sunday will probably be empty by default

Anyone have any idea how busy the "sneak preview weekend" will be? Friday in particular. My girlfriend and I were thinking of driving down from Minneapolis.

Friday and Saturday are going to be overcast and thunderstorms, but it's also BAF for $9.99 so it's a bit hard to tell. (I actually heard that the park themselves has NO idea how crowded it will be) If it's an option for you, Easter Sunday will probably be empty by default

I'm going on Friday hoping the park will be empty.

I'm going on Friday hoping the park will be empty.

Same here - really hoping it goes that way and not bad weather and packed too. Last year near the end of the season we came down for a Friday when the weather looked bad, and we ended up with an empty park (6k guests according to an employee) and the rain held off until about 10 minutes before closing. We rode Goliath 15 times in 5 hours, along with many on raging bull and x flight. It was the best!

Next day was the opposite - packed and rainy and cold...

I thought crowds were WAY higher than expected. Weather turned out perfect and nearly all the schools were off leading to a home run opening day for great America. One question though, do any of the other six flags parks have the stupid bottle flip game? And $12.99 for a beer? Are they crazy??

IMG_9018.thumb.JPG.d682a748c135c3cb5f6e21d840ef7599.JPG

IMG_9014.thumb.JPG.dbc3ea26887599e291ce12c37d7f2ffb.JPG

IMG_8966.thumb.JPG.097fd645302fe3638a7bcc81eff0e6c6.JPG

So stupid

IMG_8982.thumb.JPG.34d75adc4b9d9e290509358402cdbb66.JPG

IMG_8993.thumb.JPG.18ca7a260159014724ee72834a5fe85d.JPG

IMG_8961.thumb.JPG.a7b5cb17c266e63756b4c574554070f9.JPG

IMG_8962.thumb.JPG.e1317192dd084e3a007f6318bc5cc2ff.JPG

IMG_8970.thumb.JPG.c4494fe1872d187b97b0b0e498652c0f.JPG

Criminal

$12.99 for a beer? Are they crazy??

They are not crazy.1na9ju.jpg.f3a4d368bd64d5dfa397cbf196144a33.jpg

-Six Flags is a corporate-run park that requires millions of dollars for any sort of capital expansion.

-The high prices cuts down on drunkenness--good for visiting families.

-Even at that price point, there is still demand for it. As long as demand remains, so does the price.