TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Given the compactness of this coaster, as well as the pre-manufactured steel pieces, I find it ironic that it is not expected to be open no earlier than Memorial Day weekend when King's Island's "Mystic Timbers", a much bigger coaster, actually began testing today and is expected to be open by mid-April.

Congratulations! You are today's winner of the Alanis Morissette Not Actually Irony Award!

Also, S&S was busy with three 4D's - GCI was not busy with three Mystic Timbers. Vertical construction started later for SFGAm than it did SFOT, and while SFOT's was topped off a while ago, they don't plan on opening it early.

To be fair GCI is building 4 woodies at the same time too. Invadr, Desert Rally, Mystic Timbers and The Happy Valley Chongqing ride have all been under vertical construction around about the same time.

Yes, true, but I meant that S&S is working on three 4D projects in the US alone. If we are looking at at their entire 2017 itenerary, then we should consider this list:

S&S-Sansei Technologies - (2/24/17) S&S Worldwide released a list of 17 new rides they will be opening in 2017 this week, many known, but the list also includes some others we didn't know about. Check it out below.

Dutch Wonderland - Family Inverted Coaster

Fuji-Q Highland, Japan - Dodonpa Loop (ride enhancement)

Happy Valley Chongqing, China - Space Shot and Turbo Drop

Hersheypark - Triple Tower Complex

Huayi Brothers Movie World, Suzhou, China - Combo Tower

Nagashima Spa Land, Japan - 4D Free Spin Coaster

Playland's Castaway Cove - Triple-Launch Coaster (delayed opening)

PortAventura, Ferrari Land - Combo Tower

Six Flags Great America - 4D Free Spin Coaster

Six Flags New England - 4D Free Spin Coaster

Six Flags Over Texas - 4D Free Spin Coaster

Sun Tzu Cultural Park, Shandong, China - Air-Launch Coaster

Sun Tzu Cultural Park, Shandong, China - Space Shot and Turbo Drop

Wanda Harbin Amusement Park, Harbin, China - Space Shot and Turbo Drop

Weihai Rio Carnival, Weihai, China - Space Shot and Turbo Drop

TBA Park in Middle East - Combo Tower

TBA Park in Southeast Asia - Combo Tower

Given the compactness of this coaster, as well as the pre-manufactured steel pieces, I find it ironic that it is not expected to be open no earlier than Memorial Day weekend when King's Island's "Mystic Timbers", a much bigger coaster, actually began testing today and is expected to be open by mid-April.

Congratulations! You are today's winner of the Alanis Morissette Not Actually Irony Award!

LOL I had writers block when I was writing that. My mind went blank as I was searching for the perfect word. Time was lacking and my gut instinct was to use the word "funny". But I decided to try and find something different thus coming up with "ironic" at the last moment. Bad choice of words, my bad. I'm 40 years old and therefore resting up on the knowledge I once gained from the english classes I learned in school. Secondly, hearing all these Trump speeches doesn't help either.

• Like 1

Hooray 10 minute dispatches on a 25 second ride!

What are you people complaining about. Nobody hardy rides Giant Drop. It's a walk on most of the time or max 10 minute wait. They are putting VR on it b/c it;s not used, just like they put it on Demon another low ridership attraction. VR is best used as they are doing it, to try to revitalize the ridership of low use rides.

Demon does have times where you can re-ride it as much as you want, but don't let that fool you. Demon gets plenty of passengers. It's a relatively high capacity ride; one of the easiest rides to load and dispatch without extra restraints/seatbelts to check.

When Shockwave came out, then the series of B&M coasters, I got to a point (being a cool 20-something) where I wouldn't even bother with Demon.

But in the last few years, I've really come back around to love Demon. Plus, I've learned "how to ride it." 2nd to back for best drop, 4th from back for smoothest ride. I'm glad they returned the original logos to the train fronts (in 2d, better than nothing) and the super-dated Demon soundtrack.

^ There's a reason Demon is celebrating its 41st birthday (or 37th, depending on how you're counting), while Shockwave never even made it to 15.

I too remember being one of those "cool kids" in the 90s who thought that Shockwave and the B&M's had relegated Demon to obsolete status, but I'm glad it has managed to hang around. That first drop in the back of the train is still a damn fine roller coaster moment. The super-70s disco tunnel is excellent. The loops and corkscrews are fun. The theming, while not extravagant, adds a nice extra touch. All in all, if you're gonna ride a '70s/'80s Arrow multi-looper, you can do a lot worse than Demon.

Edited by Steely Dan

Oh good lord... eugjackson is a troll, stop taking the bait.

Yes, b/c you clearly know nothing avout the park, thus b/c you're ignorant, but arrogant per usual. Stating a known fact that Giant Drop is a very low ridership ride is trolling. The fact is VR was used at MM to up ridership on Revolution, a low ridership ride. VR has also been used that way at other parks. Go pound sand.

Edited by eugjackson

^ There's a reason Demon is celebrating its 41st birthday (or 37th, depending on how you're counting), while Shockwave never even made it to 15.

I too remember being one of those "cool kids" in the 90s who thought that Shockwave and the B&M's had relegated Demon to obsolete status, but I'm glad it has managed to hang around. That first drop in the back of the train is still a damn fine roller coaster moment. The super-70s disco tunnel is excellent. The loops and corkscrews are fun. The theming, while not extravagant, adds a nice extra touch. All in all, if you're gonna ride a '70s/'80s Arrow multi-looper, you can do a lot worse than Demon.

To summarize, if your going to waste your time and ride in absolute obsolete piece of garbage, this is not as much garbage as other 40 yr old pieces of junk.

>>The fact is VR was used at MM to up ridership on Revolution, a low ridership ride.<<

I am not going to get into the weeds on this, but I will point this out. VR did not increase ridership. It increased lines, and perhaps excitement, but the throughput is absolutely terrible with dispatch times of anywhere from 5-10 minutes. While I don't have scientific data to support this, I am a regular at this park and have experienced this first hand. If I cannot get on the ride first thing upon opening, it is not worth it. Wait times of over an hour is the norm. Without the VR, this ride has great capacity. With it, it sucks a$$. This is actually a great coaster now with the new trains. Not the fastest, tallest, thrillingest, but actually a very fun ride with great views.

I rode Giant drop for the first time during my first visit there in 1998. The line was 2 & 1/2 hours long. I liked the ride, but it is was over way too fast. We spent the rest of the visit pondering if such a short ride was worth such a long wait.

I usually skip it, riding it only 3 subsequent times. Waits have not been near as long as they were the first time, but there's still a cue. It's never a "walk-on" during any of the times I've rode it, even last in 2015.

As for as Demon's popularity, I've been able to walk on it before, and the wait time has averaged about 15-20 when I've been there. If course I'm usually there when the park isn't overly busy. Things were different when we were there for Frightfest 2014, when both Demon and Viper had a 90+ minute wait. Of course, almost no ride has a short line during Fright Fest.

Oh good lord... eugjackson is a troll, stop taking the bait.

Yes, b/c you clearly know nothing avout the park, thus b/c your ignorant, but arrogant per usual. Stating a known fact that Giant Drop is a very low ridership ride is trolling. The fact is VR was used at MM to up ridership on Revolution, a low ridership ride. VR has also been used that way at other parks. Go pound sand.

He has an ignorant??? *confused*

I rode Giant drop for the first time during my first visit there in 1998. The line was 2 & 1/2 hours long. I liked the ride, but it is was over way too fast. We spent the rest of the visit pondering if such a short ride was worth such a long wait.

I usually skip it, riding it only 3 subsequent times. Waits have not been near as long as they were the first time, but there's still a cue. It's never a "walk-on" during any of the times I've rode it, even last in 2015.

As for as Demon's popularity, I've been able to walk on it before, and the wait time has averaged about 15-20 when I've been there. If course I'm usually there when the park isn't overly busy. Things were different when we were there for Frightfest 2014, when both Demon and Viper had a 90+ minute wait. Of course, almost no ride has a short line during Fright Fest.

Giant Drop is a walk on all the time, a 5 -10 minute wait at most.