TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I have a feeling that V2 isn't going anywhere... But hey, let's all dream that we'll lose V2 then drop 1 or both flumes and replace them with a Giga.

All could happen but a Giga.. V2 and 1 of the flumes could go. In fact 1 of the flumes should go!

Yea... Enthusiasts keep saying the same stuff year after year after year, they're bound to eventually guess something right...

Can anyone who has ridden both an intamin impulse like V2 and a premier skyrocket II compare/contrast the two ride experiences?

And are there any S&S triple launches operational yet, or is Gale Force gonna be the first one?

I don't find them similar at all. I was a little underwhelmed by Tempesto but love impulse coasters. Not to mention the obvious differences like inverted vs not etc

Can anyone who has ridden both an intamin impulse like V2 and a premier skyrocket II compare/contrast the two ride experiences?

And are there any S&S triple launches operational yet, or is Gale Force gonna be the first one?

I don't find them similar at all. I was a little underwhelmed by Tempesto but love impulse coasters. Not to mention the obvious differences like inverted vs not etc

Forward and backward launch. I see where someone can see the similarities, but overall I agree with you. They deliver very different experiences, with V2 feeling more intense and in my opinion more fun. I rode Tempesto twice during our two day trip to BGW, two years ago. Like you, I was underwhelmed. It was fun, but if it hadn't been a station wait, I would have passed on the second lap. Emily didn't even feel the need to ride it twice, but she was a good sport about it.

I think a good replacement for V2 if it's removed would be a Zamperla Giant Discovery. Decent capacity, impressive stats, and overall seems like it would be a great fit for the park. (You could argue that we already have Revolution but the ride experience is quite different and SFDK and La Ronde also had Frisbees and still got a GD) Given the location relevance to Batman and Joker, a DC theme would probably be likely as well.

Currently placing my bets on a water coaster for 2018, though

I've been on a Sky Rocket III if that counts....

But I love those Intamin Impulse coasters. It's such a rush to fly to over 70 mph and then shoot straight for the sky. Wicked Twister is the best of the bunch, and it's only overlooked because of how much other awesomeness there is at Cedar Point.

I prefer the Sky Rocket II models, the launches feel more intense (the 2nd and 3rd to be exact) and overall feels more forceful. Not to mention that pop of ejector you get in the first few rows and hangtime on the in-line twist.

Edited by Superbatboy

I prefer the Sky Rocket II models, the launches feel more intense (the 2nd and 3rd to be exact) and overall feels more forceful. Not to mention that pop if ejector you get in the first few rows and hangtime on the in-line twist.

I'm assuming the Sky Rocket is the Premier launch coaster model at SFDK and Busch Gardens Williamsburg? What is the difference between Sky Rocket I/II/III?

X-Flight

NEVER!

It's still a little surprising to me that SFGAm has the only new-build B&M in the SF chain over the past 11 seasons.

I was surprised as well that the wing riders didn't multiply like the Joker clones have, of course B&M's are a little more expensive but I thought on would have popped up at either Magic Mountain or Great adventure.

X-Flight

NEVER!

It's still a little surprising to me that SFGAm has the only new-build B&M in the SF chain over the past 11 seasons.

I was surprised as well that the wing riders didn't multiply like the Joker clones have, of course B&M's are a little more expensive but I thought on would have popped up at either Magic Mountain or Great adventure.

X Flight costs twice a much as a 4D spin, that's why there aren't more. SF ride budget is highly limited by their cap exp formula.

I think a good replacement for V2 if it's removed would be a Zamperla Giant Discovery. Decent capacity, impressive stats, and overall seems like it would be a great fit for the park. (You could argue that we already have Revolution but the ride experience is quite different and SFDK and La Ronde also had Frisbees and still got a GD) Given the location relevance to Batman and Joker, a DC theme would probably be likely as well.

Currently placing my bets on a water coaster for 2018, though

Besides the inexpensive launch coasters already mentioned another possibility that comes to mind is the Skyline Skywarp. Supposedly SFGAm nixed a super loop addition, this is in the same genre. The base model is just 2M, they also have a launch model with unknown price tag. The ride is 62 feet tall with a track length of 360 feet and fits on a site just 30 feet wide and 120 feet long. That could fit in the same spot as V2.

Forward and backward launch. I see where someone can see the similarities, but overall I agree with you. They deliver very different experiences, with V2 feeling more intense and in my opinion more fun. I rode Tempesto twice during our two day trip to BGW, two years ago. Like you, I was underwhelmed. It was fun, but if it hadn't been a station wait, I would have passed on the second lap. Emily didn't even feel the need to ride it twice, but she was a good sport about it.

Yeah Im not really sure what it was with Tempesto. It absolutely was not a bad ride by any means. I was just very indifferent about the whole experience afterwards. No desire to ride again. I would like to try another installation somewhere else to see if I feel differently.

I was hoping for the classic Lobster Orange cars, but these do look good! I wonder if they will return the giant Lobster mural on the ground under the ride?

update: Well lookie here, it seems the original Lobster cars were in fact black! I remember the cars being orange in the 80s. Kudos to Great America for going even further back than my memories!

card00430_fr.jpg.c38f30eac863ba9321804181020d14a4.jpg

Given the compactness of this coaster, as well as the pre-manufactured steel pieces, I find it ironic that it is not expected to be open no earlier than Memorial Day weekend when King's Island's "Mystic Timbers", a much bigger coaster, actually began testing today and is expected to be open by mid-April.

Both had track that was topped off around the same time, and both regions had a very mild winter with minimal delays due to weather. In fact, the winter was mild enough at both parks that they almost could have stayed open all winter long, though I certainly would not have suggested that gamble. LOL

But it is strange that a compact steel coaster would open later than a long, wooden coaster where weather conditions have been equally nice.

But at least they will both be opening this year. Can't say the same about Cedar Point's upgraded Mean Streak. The secrecy and lack of announcement from Cedar Point is driving various enthusiasts nuts. They're desperate to find a definitive opening date and I can't help but find the CP thread a little comical right now.

Given the compactness of this coaster, as well as the pre-manufactured steel pieces, I find it ironic that it is not expected to be open no earlier than Memorial Day weekend when King's Island's "Mystic Timbers", a much bigger coaster, actually began testing today and is expected to be open by mid-April.

Both had track that was topped off around the same time, and both regions had a very mild winter with minimal delays due to weather. In fact, the winter was mild enough at both parks that they almost could have stayed open all winter long, though I certainly would not have suggested that gamble. LOL

But it is strange that a compact steel coaster would open later than a long, wooden coaster where weather conditions have been equally nice.

But at least they will both be opening this year. Can't say the same about Cedar Point's upgraded Mean Streak. The secrecy and lack of announcement from Cedar Point is driving various enthusiasts nuts. They're desperate to find a definitive opening date and I can't help but find the CP thread a little comical right now.

That is so because of Six Flag's marketing strategy. Memorial Day or later openings have been standard for as many years as I can remeber. Hell, they even waited till a couple DAYS before opening day to start vertical construction on the SuperLoops, even though they had all off-season to complete a one-day process (YES! It literally took only a matter of hours to complete installation of the loops themselves.)

Also, S&S was busy with three 4D's - GCI was not busy with three Mystic Timbers. Vertical construction started later for SFGAm than it did SFOT, and while SFOT's was topped off a while ago, they don't plan on opening it early.

Also, S&S was busy with three 4D's - GCI was not busy with three Mystic Timbers. Vertical construction started later for SFGAm than it did SFOT, and while SFOT's was topped off a while ago, they don't plan on opening it early.

To be fair GCI is building 4 woodies at the same time too. Invadr, Desert Rally, Mystic Timbers and The Happy Valley Chongqing ride have all been under vertical construction around about the same time.

GURNEE, IL. — March 22, 2017 — Six Flags Great America today announced an all-new virtual reality attraction. Six Flags Great America in partnership with Samsung Electronics America, Inc., the “Official

Technology Partner of Six Flags,” is debuting an all-new virtual reality experience, Drop of Doom VR. This VR attraction is a thrilling, immersive encounter with giant, mutant spiders and makes its debut on April 29, headlining the park’s opening weekend. “Each season we push to be on the cutting edge of innovation and our latest virtual reality experience brings together two fears innate in most people – heights and spiders,” said Hank Salemi, park president. “Guests willascend the tower of Giant Drop immersed in an unfamiliar world as they are bombarded by spiders and then abruptly plunge down what feels to be a 100 story free fall. Our thrill-seeking guests will not want to miss thisexciting new attraction.”Riders, using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, will become the pilots of a futuristic gunship under attack by mutant spiders. This intense, interactive adventure features:  A high speed virtual vertical ascent up 100 stories, while teetering off the edge of a helicopter;  A 360-degree rotating view high above massive city skyscrapers that are under siege by enormous

spiders;  A high-intensity gun battle against a giant arachnid, spewing baby spiders that virtually crawl all over the rider’s body;  A thrilling 100-story fiery plunge straight down between towering skyscrapers; and  The final showdown with a spider the size of a van, teeth-gnashing and in full attack mode. The Drop of Doom virtual reality attraction is free with park admission and available for through Memorial Day.Season Passes and All Season Dining Passes are available online now at sixflags.com.