TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

My last visit to Great America I spent two days and the first day Viper was squealing around the turns and was just bad but the second day it was running great. It is one of the best rides in the park and one of my all time favorite wood coasters.

I just don't get the hate for old Arrow coasters. For those of us who grew up riding them they were the "new hotness" in the 70's and 80's. Sure plenty of them have not aged well but Demon is one of the rare good Arrows - great first drop in the back seat, a couple of forceful vertical loops and the long light tunnel (one of my favorite parts) - it just screams classic. Plus it fills the void of the intermediate family coaster - usually a child's first looping coaster.

Eagle backwards - now that was a LOT of fun. Miss that on AE and KI Racer.

I loved when AE went backwards! That falling backwards is such an awesome feeling! Also I think I remember Batman going backwards that was pretty neat too! Going backwards on a B&M invert is a really cool concept and a lot of fun. As for Demon it does bang my head around a little but thats probably because im super short. The ride itself is fun though. Its usually not one of the first coasters we'd go on while at GA but its still nice to go on it once in a while. I think the tunnel is really cool looking too.

OK, i'm glad others are sharing their Viper love. I guess I'm not crazy after all. I never see any talk about the ride anywhere so I had no clue what to expect and came as an awesome surprise. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more when people are discussing woodies. *shrug*

AE ran pretty well too!

Viper is great. It's never given me a bad ride. Pure roller coaster fun!

Demon is great. It's never given me a bad ride. Pure roller coaster fun!

American Eagle is good, but it used to be so much better back in the 80s when it ran wild and free before it was trimmed to hell and back. however, it ran so wild and free that the word on the street was that it was ripping itself apart, so I guess they had to do something.

^ Same goes for me. Viper and Eagle (only when both sides were open though) are pretty much must rides every visit. I will admit though that I liked the blue side better when it was going backwards. I'll never understand why Six Flags stopped running it backwards. Also it seemed like Eagle didn't have the best season last year. Usually only one sided opened with the park (blue side most of the time) and towards the end of season (including the last 2 days) blue side wasn't open.

I'd honestly put Eagle on the bottom of the Wooden Coasters at SFGAm. Yes below Little Dipper

1. Viper (Backwards Viper would be #5 cause I felt it wasn't as intense backwards)

2. Goliath (Too short IMO)

3. Little Dipper (Just fun)

4. American Eagle (The final helix's before the station are too painful to even ride anymore, Both sides.)

^^^ Yea I went on the last day as well! I remember it was very nice out for a November day in Chicago however I was saddened that AE was closed as well.

^My SFGam wooden coaster list would go:

1.Goliath !!! Heck its often my favorite coaster at the park in general its often interchangeable with Raging Bull

2.American Eagle Good old out and back woodie with a nice high and steep first drop as well. Fun when they race and was really awesome when one went backwards

3.Viper. I dont remember it have the airtime like it used to but its still a lot of fun. I love the "head chopper" drops and how closed in a lot of the coaster structure is which makes it a little unique

I never been on Little Dipper before though as I never been to Kiddieland sadly So I dont have any connection to it nostalgia wise and it probably doesnt have any thrill factor so we skip it. You know when there is long lines and only so much time the not as great coasters tend to take a backseat or not be ridden at all. Thats how it is for me at least. Who knows maybe ill try it out if its a really dead day.

Is anyone else getting a little worried that the two screamscape rumors of SFA getting a launched coaster from another SF park and of SFGAm removing V2 later this season are lining up a little too conveniently?

It'd be a shame to lose V2 in my opinion, even if it is the weakest of the impulse coasters with its deactivated holding brake.

Are we really gonna lose yet another coaster to SFA? What else might SFGAm ship off to maryland in the future?

Is anyone else getting a little worried that the two screamscape rumors of SFA getting a launched coaster from another SF park and of SFGAm removing V2 later this season are lining up a little too conveniently?

It'd be a shame to lose V2 in my opinion, even if it is the weakest of the impulse coasters with its deactivated holding brake.

Are we really gonna lose yet another coaster to SFA? What else might SFGAm ship off to maryland in the future?

X-Flight

While you may have lost Iron Wolf and Ragin Cajun to SFA, you in turn received Goliath and Joker, both of which are significant improvements (especially Goliath). Even if V2 does end up coming east, you have still made out pretty well on your end of things overall.

SFA people are thinking "are we really getting another relocate over a new coaster. " I think the V2 relocate is really possible. SFA needs a new coaster and I don't think they are getting a 4D, SF's favorite new clone. Predicting in 2018 4D's for Stl, Mexico and OG. SF appears to be in the mode of you get a justice league you get a matching 4D and vice versa. So, justice leagues in 2018 for FT and NE

While you may have lost Iron Wolf and Ragin Cajun to SFA, you in turn received Goliath and Joker, both of which are significant improvements (especially Goliath). Even if V2 does end up coming east, you have still made out pretty well on your end of things overall.

For sure.

Goliath all on its own makes up for iron wolf and ragin cajun. I've not ridden a 4D free spin yet, so however good joker ends up being will be pure gravy.

And if the loss of V2 leads to something better in '18 or '19, then by all means ship it off to SFA, I just hope that it's replacement features a launch of some sort because I have a special fetish for launched coasters and the loss of V2 would leave my home park without any.

For sure.

Goliath all on its own makes up for iron wolf and ragin cajun. I've not ridden a 4D free spin yet, so however good joker ends up being will be pure gravy.

And if the loss of V2 leads to something better in '18 or '19, then by all means ship it off to SFA, I just hope that it's replacement features a launch of some sort because I have a special fetish for launched coasters and the loss of V2 would leave my home park without any.

Inexpensive launch coasters as a replacement ie....Premier Rides Sky Rocket II(Superman at SFDK), Mack Xtreme Spin(new at IAAPA 2-16), S&S Triple Launch El Loco, etc...

Inexpensive launch coasters as a replacement ie....Premier Rides Sky Rocket II(Superman at SFDK), Mack Xtreme Spin(new at IAAPA 2-16), S&S Triple Launch El Loco, etc...

Those all look really fun, but capacity could be an issue at a park like SFGAm.

Can anyone who has ridden both an intamin impulse like V2 and a premier skyrocket II compare/contrast the two ride experiences?

And are there any S&S triple launches operational yet, or is Gale Force gonna be the first one?

Without thinking too much into it, I felt that the Impulse Coaster focuses more on speed and forces where as the Sky Rocket 2 focuses on smooth swooping transitions and anticipation. Both are fun, but I prefer the Impulse Coaster 2-1 over the Sky Rocket 2. The reverse spike in the rear was truly an exciting experience the first time I ever rode V2, over ten years ago. Yes, it was better with the holding brake, but it's certainly not ruined without it.

I have a feeling that V2 isn't going anywhere... But hey, let's all dream that we'll lose V2 then drop 1 or both flumes and replace them with a Giga.

All could happen but a Giga.. V2 and 1 of the flumes could go. In fact 1 of the flumes should go!