TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

A self driving Uber that can pick you up without the person! Tell it where you want to go an it will take you there. You dont have to deal with public transit crowds OR talkative or strange taxi/Uber drivers either! I dont drive so that sounds nice. Yea I may be 27 but I never really learned to drive...(i know sad) I have bad anxiety so driving makes me nervous and I can't think well under those conditions. Also cars in general are expensive.(the price or the car itself,the up keep,gas,getting it fixed when braking down,insurance,etc)Good thing about living near Chicago public transit is abundant. Or I just have family members drive me.

A self driving Uber that can pick you up without the person! Tell it where you want to go an it will take you there. You dont have to deal with public transit crowds OR talkative or strange taxi/Uber drivers either! I dont drive so that sounds nice. Yea I may be 27 but I never really learned to drive...(i know sad) I have bad anxiety so driving makes me nervous and I can't think well under those conditions. Also cars in general are expensive.(the price or the car itself,the up keep,gas,getting it fixed when braking down,insurance,etc)Good thing about living near Chicago public transit is abundant. Or I just have family members drive me.

This entire post is about you and doesn't contribute anything to this thread or help on getting to the park from parts around the city. Noted, but there are actually people asking for advice and ideas on how to get from the city/other points to the park.

@Raceboarder - that's something I never thought about. At least if you're taking a car from the Metra line you'll avoid that.

Metra weekend roundtrip tickets are only 10 bucks and you don't even have to print them anymore, you can download the app and save some coin.

I didnt know I HAD to give advice! I was just joining the conversation. Didnt we just go through this in PM? So if I want to talk now i have to give advice and not talk about anything else? Look I dont want to continue this conversation I will not longer say anything else in this thread until this convo passes....carry on.

If you know you are coming to Great America, make sure you post on here in the couple weeks beforehand. Some of us are very close to O'hare/NW side, and several of us locals on here will be at the park any given day. Good way to make good contacts, too! I've met some nice people on through this forum (and other forums) in the past. A couple people I'd rather forget as well...

I love my car... I'm also open to public transit, but I can't imagine taking it all the way to Great America.

If people are flying to O'hare I may be willing to meet up for a trip to the park. Same goes for people near O'hare and the NW side.

I had a good experience taking the PACE bus to the park. I got on the first bus of the day so there were only a few people on it. I think I got on the last bus to leave the park and it was about three quarters full. The fare was cheap and it didn't take much longer than driving. Also the bus was really clean and that's probably because it's a suburban bus. I would say this is the best option for out of towners. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and fits in your budget.

Now that Six Flags has announced that SFOG drop tower is getting the VR experience I wonder if they will do the same for Giant Drop. Personally I hope this doesn't happen and the VR remains on Demon.

Already done... Giant Drop is Platinum Flash Pass only. It's stupid as hell. VR needs a 3D environment to work and a drop tower is only 2D.

Also you'll have 5-10 minute dispatches for a ride that is literally 30 seconds total.

Now that Six Flags has announced that SFOG drop tower is getting the VR experience I wonder if they will do the same for Giant Drop. Personally I hope this doesn't happen and the VR remains on Demon.

Already done... Giant Drop is Platinum Flash Pass only. It's stupid as hell. VR needs a 3D environment to work and a drop tower is only 2D.

Also you'll have 5-10 minute dispatches for a ride that is literally 30 seconds total.

The entire ride time will be increased, as the VR will have an entire "movie sequence". No VR doesn't need 3D if the VR experience is a fall and the ride is a drop, that will in VR seem like a fall. It's an attempt to make drop rides more popular, as Giant Drop is a short wait and often a walk on, especially weekdays. It also allows SF to get more use out of the VR headsets, especially if they are only run VR on Demon during Frightfest.

I had such a crappy year in 2016 that Demon VR was in my Top 5 New for 2016 things. But it was cool and synced.

There is nothing that can save Demon, its just a old, bad ride, that needs to go. 1970's era head banger coaster with crappy restraints and no thrill. It's one of about 4 rides that need to go and/or need serious revamping....AE and Viper both need serious help, both are rough and lack thrill. Demon just needs to go, not salvageable. Revolution needs to go and a Skyscreamer could fit in that exact spot. High attraction at the center of the park that would give a great view. Another option is a Zamperla Discovery replaces it, but at another location in the park, as won't fit in Revs spot, A Discovery could go by the new pathway being made on the outer edge near the parking lot. Give it a DC theme as it's near Batman and Joker. Lastly, if V2 actually leaves, Discovery would fit there nicely.

Edited by eugjackson

Hey! I think AE is a lot of fun! but yea i agree it was pretty rough at times especially around that turn. It really jackhammers you. As for Viper I think that coaster is ok fun...not great...but fun. However the first time I went on it back in 2002 I remember it having epic ejector air time! Now it barely has that air time anymore...Its weird. What happen to the air time?? lol.

Hey! I think AE is a lot of fun! but yea i agree it was pretty rough at times especially around that turn. It really jackhammers you. As for Viper I think that coaster is ok fun...not great...but fun. However the first time I went on it back in 2002 I remember it having epic ejector air time! Now it barely has that air time anymore...Its weird. What happen to the air time?? lol.

Viper needs a retrack. They aren't likely going to remove it b/c it fills the role as a family wood coaster in the line up.

Thank you Bill

I LOVE Demon, AE and Viper. Demon in 2nd to back has one of The few surviving snapping drops. I suggest checking out American Eagle and Viper in seat number three. Guaranteed good seat.

When American Eagle runs with no breaks it's a top-five ride in my book. But that doesn't happen anymore. Also, red side.

When I visited last year I felt that Viper was one of the better woodies I've been on. Lots of fun.

Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised by the airtime on Viper when I visited the park last year. I also really enjoyed AE, which is really only rough in the big turnaround.

Viper is an excellent coaster, easily my #2 at the park. Back row, right side. Yeah. Pretty decently themed for a Six Flags ride, too. The only thing that sucks about it is that the station can get pretty clustered making it hard to plan out where you and your group are going to sit, but that doesn't impact the ride itself.

Btw Eugene, why does Revolution "need to go"? It's arguably one the park's most popular flat rides. In fact, on peak days it often gets a full queue. A Skyscreamer could fill one of the many voids in the park (Sky Trail, for example) before replacing an existing ride. Even if they were to take out something for one, they most likely wouldn't remove a popular ride with few mechanical issues.