TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It's a shooting dark ride with cars that spin, tilt, and vibrate. You wear 3D glasses, just like the ones at the movie theater, and you stop every so often to shoot things on a screen, similar to some of the old arcade games like Time Crisis. It's really fun. Wait times can vary, but expect an hour or longer.

If you don't get broken and/or wet glasses, it's not a bad ride I was impressed the first couple times I rode it. For Six Flags, it's an honest to goodness "full" ride experience.

But really, what's up with the broken and wet glasses? Why would anyone with sense give those to someone who is a guest that just waited 60-120 minutes in line? And it wasn't a one time occurrence.

This is how I'd do it.

Superman and Batman run like champs in the cold, we know that from Great Adventure's event. Joker is running at Great Adventure's HITP too. The left side is basically set in stone since they need to get the kids area open. The right isn't but I'm sure they'd want to get to Justice League.

[attachment=0]final.jpg[/attachment]

I left Viper out because it's so easy to close. I have no clue if Whizzer runs well in cold weather so they can close it if they want. It's almost a guarantee that Sky Tower would look like this.

I think that this would be a very accurate prediction. The only change I would make would be to remove Vertical Velocity from the mix. I don't think they would have that open for HITP.

The brokenness can be explained by use. Presumably, the glasses are not fully inspected before/after the sanitization. Before the ride, the glasses could be grabbed hastily and at the end of the ride, dumped into a large bucket with as much care. I can't say much to the quality of the glasses, but they may break easily. What are the glasses' life expectancy? And there are always those that generally misuse the glasses.

This is how I'd do it.

Superman and Batman run like champs in the cold, we know that from Great Adventure's event. Joker is running at Great Adventure's HITP too. The left side is basically set in stone since they need to get the kids area open. The right isn't but I'm sure they'd want to get to Justice League.

[attachment=0]final.jpg[/attachment]

I left Viper out because it's so easy to close. I have no clue if Whizzer runs well in cold weather so they can close it if they want. It's almost a guarantee that Sky Tower would look like this.

I think that this would be a very accurate prediction. The only change I would make would be to remove Vertical Velocity from the mix. I don't think they would have that open for HITP.

Yeah I know very little about the ability of impulse coasters to run in low temperatures (though valleying clearly isn't a problem) but I added it since that part of the park has to be open anyway to get to the kids area.

Chicago is colder than New York in winter, December is usually 10 degrees colder. Its more likely the rides would have to close for weather at GAm than GAdv (probably hence why its at GAdv and not GAm). While most coasters can run in the 40's and many in the 30's, when you get down in the 20's not only could they valley but also its very unpleasant to ride them.

HITP would be a really big risk, it could be a huge hit if the weather stays in the 30's-40's. But even if the decorations and shows are great, if it's in the 20's, you have to ask yourself are people even going to show up. It's a lot of time and money to put into an event that likely could bomb just because of the weather.

Edited by xstech25

^ I heard back in the day when my mom was young they had an indoor amusement park here in Chicago called Old Chicago. It was kind of like Mall of America. I really wish it was still around today it would be nice to get an amusement park fix all while GA is closed down for the winter. Chicago winters do suck and often seem to last forever....

^ I heard back in the day when my mom was young they had an indoor amusement park here in Chicago called Old Chicago. It was kind of like Mall of America. I really wish it was still around today it would be nice to get an amusement park fix all while GA is closed down for the winter. Chicago winters do suck and often seem to last forever....

Yes, it's an interesting story, and despite the nostalgia, people didn't really care about it. It only lasted 4 years (which keep in mind is one year longer than Hard Rock/Freestyle Park). Place it in the rubbish bin of ideas that sounded great but were actually terrible.

Here's a great site that tells the story, and a lot of why it's awesome is that it is an actual Tripod site blissfully ignoring the fact that it's no longer the twentieth century.

http://lisawebworld1.tripod.com/oldchicago.html

Closing day went very well for my Girlfriend & I. Goliath was our first ride of the day and our last ride of the day. I was surprised, at most of the rides I felt the ride ops were pushing to move at a decent pace. Overall way faster than my 2015 visit. This visit was my first time on a Justice League and it was awesome, way higher quality than anything I expected to come from a Six Flags park. Also most of the bigger rides had groupers in the station, and all groupers were nice when we politely asked to pick our row all of them let us go to the row we wanted. I left that Sunday very impressed and I felt the park improved from my 2015 visit. Also talking to a ride op at Goliath he told me X-Flight reached 1 million riders for the season the previous weekend. Which I'd say is an improvement than no rides reaching 1 million the previous year.

Final tally

America Eagle x1

Viper x1

Whizzer x1

Raging Bull x1

Whizzer x1

Superman x1

Batman x2

X-Flight x2

Goliath x2

Justice League x3

Old Chicago was my first "big" amusement park (after Kiddieland in Schererville, IN). I was about 4 and remember looking at the "Chicago Loop" all day, but not riding it. I rode the enterprise with my uncle's girlfriend, but didn't know it went upside-down until after the ride started. Quite a surprise! We rode the log flume twice and the haunted house had a goofy and funny witch that kept flying out of a window on her broom, then quickly pulling back in (like a koo koo clock). I also remember the entrance from the mall to the ride area; a spiraling path with 70's orange carpet.

I read somewhere that future plans for the park included a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop. Imagine how cool that would be!

It seems a big part of the parks failure was that there were no "anchor stores" in the mall. No Sears, etc. Lots of great pictures and info here: http://www.negative-g.com/old-chicago-amusement-park/old-chicago-amusement-park-index.htm

I finally got around to riding that corkscrew coaster, last summer at Canobie Lake! Looks great runs like crap.

Bolingbrook_IL_Old_Chicago_Amusement_Park_043.thumb.jpg.b2c39a16966c1a80dfe6980ea6c0f254.jpg

Bolingbrook_IL_Old_Chicago_Amusement_Park_011.jpg.8d89eab9f1d0bd88dc544a0455b21402.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yep thats sure a lot of snow..... Any coaster fans enjoy the roller coaster's not as thrilling but still fun winter time cousin,sledding?? Sledding is fun and all however I so am not a winter person!! but if someone invited me to go sledding I wouldnt pass it up. I havent went sledding since i was a preteen though.

Yep thats sure a lot of snow..... Any coaster fans enjoy the roller coaster's not as thrilling but still fun winter time cousin,sledding?? Sledding is fun and all however I so am not a winter person!! but if someone invited me to go sledding I wouldnt pass it up. I havent went sledding since i was a preteen though.

Swallow Cliff FTW!

• 4 weeks later...