TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

That's definitely the way to go with RB, as much airtime as possible in the back row, I just wish I had thinner legs to really pop out. Goliath really would only need 2 more ejector airtime hills to have equaled or beat El Toro in terms of airtime intensity, but Six Flags now refuses to build any coaster longer than 45 or 50 seconds of action at this park.

Yesterday was a great day to go, and one of the better days I've had at this park in quite a while. I was especially impressed with how none of the crews jammed the restraints down on you (especially Raging Bull and Batman). I'm really coming around to Wing Coasters; I haven't gotten on Thunderbird yet, but I think X-Flight is the best of the rest of the stateside examples. The weather appeared to be conducive towards the B&M's tearing it up (sans Superman, which is incapable of this, so we passed), and we took two spins on Raging Bull and a lap on the other two. Bull is usually a one trick pony with a very good trick, but there were some hints of what a ride it could be scattered throughout the course. Also caught a lap on Goliath, American Eagle (Red), Giant Drop, and River Rocker for some reason.

Great times- definitely the better of my two visits so far this year, and not at all a let down just a few weeks after our annual trip out to Cedar Point. Looking forward to that last weekend of operation in November.

I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

Me too, but now I just punch myself in the side of the head while I'm riding so that I can be reminded of the good ol' days.

I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

Me too, but now I just punch myself in the side of the head while I'm riding so that I can be reminded of the good ol' days.

You're lucky... Seems like some people need to get into chains, whips, hot candle wax, ect. to get the job done it seems

Anyone think a Demon re-furb for 2017 is possible? Blue Hawk wasn't announced until March I think

I'd be surprised. Blue Hawk seems to have more of a thrilling and at least more modern feel to it than Demon. Seems like there was more to salvage with a coaster like Blue Hawk. Just my .02.

It would be nice to some of the old coat hangers in the chain get the new Vekoma trains. Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow? Also, with this we would no longer need to worry about being defenseless from bracing ourselves while using VR on Demon and the Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis.

Jokes on you fools who try VR

It would be nice to some of the old coat hangers in the chain get the new Vekoma trains. Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow? Also, with this we would no longer need to worry about being defenseless from bracing ourselves while using VR on Demon and the Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis.

Jokes on you fools who try VR

There's nothing wrong with Demon, it doesn't need to be tinkered with. Hopefully it stays just the way it is, sans ridiculous VR.

^^You are implying you wouldn't like to make it better?

I might have made my post misleading. The negativity of my post mostly comes from my negativity towards the Ninja; I have not ridden Demon in a while. Still, either ride would benefit from new trains (if this is even possible).

Can / have Vekoma trains ever been used on an Arrow?

While I don't know of any specific examples, I would think it's perfectly possible considering how many Vekoma's have been running with Arrow trains. It would be great to see the new Vekoma trains be added to more rides, the one experience I had with these new trains on a boomerang was really great.

Yes the Vampire Ride in Chessington uses Vekoma Trains.

when the arrow coaster was having problems with the original

Trains arrow was bankrupt so that Vokoma made new ones but made them floorless to make the ride more exciting.

I will always prefer the old ones.

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with it? Have you ridden it?

Yeah, and it's miles better than 99% of the other Arrows out there. The first drop kicks your @$$ out of the seat and honestly the inversions are pretty smooth.

Even with the VR last night (in the back seat) I didn't get beat up. I hope this coaster never changes.

Gargoyles was okay. We got passes for the 7-8 time slot, arrived around 7 and didn't ride until after 8. Dispatches were 7-8 minutes apart despite announcing "We have 5 minutes to dispatch this train". The worst part of this is that if they couldn't get guests to cooperate to get the VR working, they would have the guests wait at the exit and try a second time to get them a VR ride.

It's very easy to get the VR working. Put the headset on. Tighten to fit. Look forward up/down a bit to calibrate. Done.

Well, with the quality of guests at Six Flags there were so many people that couldn't figure it out the ops eventually paused the regular line so a *whole train* of re-rides could go. Thankfully this was just after my ride, but people in line were getting very upset. If I had known it was an hour + wait I wouldn't have done it.

Is this a cool idea? Sure. Is thisa positive experience for guests? Overwhelmingly NO. I almost forgot about the crowds of unruly guests who got angry that they didn't read the signs about requiring a reservation to ride. Maybe it's just this park.

Everything else was great, though. 70* in October on a sunny/cloudy day made for a great visit.

Everything in this park is so re-ridable. Goliath, Bull, V2, Eagle, X-Flight, Batman, Viper, Giant Drop are all great rides.

So with the talk about Demon being rehabbed - how about American Eagle?

I know there was rumor of a RMC I-Box conversion - (glad that didn't happen) How about a GCI make over?

Ive thought about this for awhile. Similar to what was done on Ghost Rider. Heres the change and the ROI- You change the layout to one long coaster - 9k plus feet long, load on blue side, come back on red but doesn't stop and runs the course a second time.

Blue side stays the same, original layout, run it with out brakes, now after the Barrel Helix you return on the red side, after the final helix ( which was awesome back when the ride was new and didn't brake) you enter into the break run for the red side.. however you don't stop and not even braked.. so the exit to the station is re-profiled into a banked turn and back to the lift to run the course again. only this time after the first drop and 2 speed bumps the rest of the second trip is all new layout and profiled very GCI like - banks and attitude changes. After the speed bumps you go up to the top of the barrel and make an immediate left turn and drop to the left. Basically the course will run under the barrel counter clockwise the first part then a 90 degree turn to come back and meet up with the blue helix and rest of the blue course back the station. The return would be changed as well, Trick-track replaces straight flat area, helix would be banked sharper etc. Could run 4 trains so capacity would be slightly higher then half its current. If 3 trains were run then the two on the course could still race/duel while the third loads.

the advantages. American Eagle was a top 5 when it opened, and was a really great ride when it was smooth, fast and ran with no breaks.- Half the ride gets refurbished back to 1981. Then you create a custom GCI as the second trip utilizing the awesome first drop again... last you build the worlds longest coaster in the process taking up no new land, not destroying the parks signature landmark etc..

well that's my $15,000,000 idea...

Is this a cool idea? Sure. Is thisa positive experience for guests? Overwhelmingly NO. I almost forgot about the crowds of unruly guests who got angry that they didn't read the signs about requiring a reservation to ride. Maybe it's just this park.

Remember this was originally announced to be at Raging Bull. Major props are due to whoever it was that had the stones to stand up to the boss and tell him he had a very bad idea.

Eagle is not near as rough as Hurler, Racer, Beast (on bad days), Mean Streak, Blue Streak, or any Arrow/Vekoma.

Maybe it's just me growing up with SoB/Beast etc, but Eagle has never given me a ride to complain about. Sure the helix is bouncy, but not even the last one is bad. I really think SFGAm fans are grasping at straws for things to complain about at the park.

But with the height and length it has the potential to be a RMC makeover from another world.

having riden Eagle the day it opened, its not a good ride anymore, it was amazing, smooth, fast.. the helix's are braked to reduce rider pain.. Giving Eagle new purpose, relevance and star attraction status.. without removing and having to clear the amount land AE sits on could all be a huge plus..

My first time riding AE was last year, I rode both sides and really enjoyed it. I think it would be a good candidate for a GCI refurb like Ghostrider with new trains, and remove the trim breakers. Even as it is now it's a really fun ride and I didn't even get to race on any of my rides.