TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

No. This ride is actually good.

Seriously, these rides are insane. They're smooth, the flipping is ridiculous, they don't feel slow at all and they're incredibly disorienting. I absolutely love Joker at Great Adventure. I went in with minimal expectations, I was totally prepared for the ride to suck and I absolutely love the thing. They're outstanding rides, I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised,

Did you like them better than X2 at MM? I take it you've ridden them both types? It just seems like the original 4D types (X2) would be better because of the added speed and length. If all goes well, I'll be able to try out both types next year.

Seriously, these rides are insane. They're smooth, the flipping is ridiculous, they don't feel slow at all and they're incredibly disorienting. I absolutely love Joker at Great Adventure. I went in with minimal expectations, I was totally prepared for the ride to suck and I absolutely love the thing. They're outstanding rides, I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised,

Did you like them better than X2 at MM? I take it you've ridden them both types? If all goes well, I'll be able to try out both types next year.

I'm not a good person to ask about X2 because I absolutely hate that ride. I rode it back in it's opening year and it beat the living hell out of me. The first drop is amazing but everything after that felt like being in the middle of a 30 car pileup on the freeway.

About ten years later I decided to ride it again since I assumed the X2 conversion helped things but it was still the same horrific, painful piece of garbage I had remembered. Both times I was assigned the back row and got the outside seat which I've been told might be the reason I hated it so much but regardless I have complete disdain for X2. I know a lot of people love it and if the restraints agree with you I can see why because it's a really unique ride with a killer first drop but I hate, hate, hate that ride and consider it one of the worst coasters I've ever ridden anywhere period. I'd rather ride a Zamperla Volare 10 times in a row than ride that thing once.

I'm not a good person to ask about X2 because I absolutely hate that ride. I rode it back in it's opening year and it beat the living hell out of me. The first drop is amazing but everything after that felt like being in the middle of a 30 car pileup on the freeway.

About ten years later I decided to ride it again since I assumed the X2 conversion helped things but it was still the same horrific, painful piece of garbage I had remembered. Both times I was assigned the back row and got the outside seat which I've been told might be the reason I hated it so much but regardless I have complete disdain for X2. I know a lot of people love it and if the restraints agree with you I can see why because it's a really unique ride with a killer first drop but I hate, hate, hate that ride and consider it one of the worst coasters I've ever ridden anywhere period. I'd rather ride a Zamperla Volare 10 times in a row than ride that thing once.

Wow! I would have to say you wrote the most critical X2 review I have ever seen! Though you're not alone as I've seen many others complain about it's roughness. And I've ridden enough Arrows that I'm certainly not surprised. I am a fan of Arrow coasters and my 40 y/o bones can usually ride them with minimal to no pain, so I may be okay. At least I hope. :LOL

And I generally try to bypass a coaster if it I see "Zamperla" or "Pinfari. LOL

Wow! I would have to say you wrote the most critical X2 review I have ever seen! Though you're not alone as I've seen many others complain about it's roughness. And I've ridden enough Arrows that I'm certainly not surprised. I am a fan of Arrow coasters and my 40 y/o bones can usually ride them with minimal to no pain, so I may be okay. At least I hope. :LOL

Did you like them better than X2 at MM? I take it you've ridden them both types? If all goes well, I'll be able to try out both types next year.

Hmmmmmmm, but then you get perturbed when people complain about rough B&Ms

Vqmm_f-maxage-0.gif

Complaining about a B&M being rough is stupid (minus of course the stand ups), complaining about an Arrow bring rough is totally reasonable. Your mileage may vary with X2 but I don't think anyone would consider X2 to be a smooth ride. It's very aggressive, which I suppose is part of why people like it but that's false equivelance. If you complain about rattle on Gatekeeper or Fury (2 of the smoothest coasters in existence) then you're a complete bitch. With more aggressive rides like standup coasters, Arrow and older Vekoma coasters and a lot of older wood coasters different riders are always going to have different opinions based on body type and personal preference.

riders are always going to have different opinions based on body type and personal preference.

Exactly, so I don't think someone is a "complete b****" if they happen to notice that the newer B&Ms do indeed rattle. B&M no longer makes the smoothest coasters in the industry. That title is shared by RMC, Premier, and Mack.

Whatever you say. I don't know why you're being confrontational for no reason but I still contend that if you think B&M coasters are rough then you should probably find a different hobby and complaining about B&M rattle is completely ridiculous. Trying to draw parallels between that and an Arrow is a stretch.

:lol: Whatever you say. I don't know why you're being confrontational for no reason but I still contend that if you think B&M coasters are rough then you should probably find a different hobby and complaining about B&M rattle is completely ridiculous. Trying to draw parallels between that and an Arrow is a stretch.

Not being confrontation, just noticed some discrepancies in the things you post is all

Complaining about a B&M being rough is stupid (minus of course the stand ups), complaining about an Arrow bring rough is totally reasonable. Your mileage may vary with X2 but I don't think anyone would consider X2 to be a smooth ride. It's very aggressive, which I suppose is part of why people like it but that's false equivelance. If you complain about rattle on Gatekeeper or Fury (2 of the smoothest coasters in existence) then you're a complete bitch. With more aggressive rides like standup coasters, Arrow and older Vekoma coasters and a lot of older wood coasters different riders are always going to have different opinions based on body type and personal preference.

B&Ms, new and old, are in no way rough. The headbanging in corkscrews, zero g rolls, and quick transitions are completely unavoidable on an OTSR coaster with corkscrews regardless of who builds it.

Sounds like Coasterbill is just a soft person who can't handle a bit of the Arrow shakes. X2 was fantastic for me in the back row, and being slightly rough is unavoidable with such massive winged trains.. You want rough? American Eagle, blue side, back row; You'll be jackhammering side to side so much that Mean Streak was a massage chair in comparison.

^^ I don't think the any rows on the blue side are that rough especially the back rows. Sure the blue side might not be as smooth as the red side but it's no way even close to Mean Streak level and I would know because I've been riding Eagle for more than 10 years. I'll admit the blue side was way better backwards than forwards. That back seat ride back then was easily the best seat on the blue side.

You're still on this? You seem to be way too concerned with my opinion of X2. If you like the ride then more power to you but calling any Arrow not named Tenessee Tornado rough is a pretty common opinion. Very few people will tell you that X2 is a smooth ride. Again, it's aggressive nature might be part of why some people like it but it's an aggressive ride.

Also, while everyone is different I have to say that I've never encountered anyone who rode Mean Streak using that trick and still found it rough. It's actually incredible simple and it works for lot of other rough coasters running PTC's too (like Wild Beast or the Lake Compounce Wildcat for example).

Again, trying to draw parallels between saying a modern B&M is rough and saying an Arrow is rough is a stretch, but nobody is forcing you to agree with me so I don't know why you're still on this.

Because I'm a bit of a thrill junkie beyond the usual coaster enthusiast, I prefer a major park to have at least one rough woodie and one quite rough steel coaster. At Great America, AE blue takes the cake, and while maintenance has done an incredible job of making the Demon actually smoother in the past 5 years, I'm somewhat disappointed because we no longer have a steel coaster that is all that rough or painful.

You're still on this? You seem to be way too concerned with my opinion of X2. If you like the ride then more power to you but calling any Arrow not named Tenessee Tornado rough is a pretty common opinion. Very few people will tell you that X2 is a smooth ride. Again, it's aggressive nature might be part of why some people like it but it's an aggressive ride.

Also, while everyone is different I have to say that I've never encountered anyone who rode Mean Streak using that trick and still found it rough. It's actually incredible simple and it works for lot of other rough coasters running PTC's too (like Wild Beast or the Lake Compounce Wildcat for example).

Again, trying to draw parallels between saying a modern B&M is rough and saying an Arrow is rough is a stretch, but nobody is forcing you to agree with me so I don't know why you're still on this.

I just find it bemusing that you're extremely fervent in your opinions of rides you dislike...yet when others express their disdain for something and you don't agree, you jump all over them with snide and/or condescending comments. I'm not necessarily concerned with your opinion of X2 per se, but you talk about your dislike of the ride on these boards ad nauseam, so I used it as an example.

I just find it bemusing that you're extremely fervent in your opinions of rides you dislike...yet when others express their disdain for something and you don't agree, you jump all over them with snide and/or condescending comments. I'm not necessarily concerned with your opinion of X2 per se, but you talk about your dislike of the ride on these boards ad nauseam, so I used it as an example.

I don't agree with this at all, but again it seems like you're being confrontational for absolutely no reason and seeking out an argument and I'm not interested in having one. It also seems like you're taking my posts (which in many cases are going for a laugh) way too seriously. I already addressed all of this and to respond again would just be going around in circles even more.

I gave my opinion of X2 because I was directly asked for it. I'm not condescending about people's opinions unless they talk about B&M rattle and I'll continue to laugh at everyone that does. We're talking about an Arrow. Again, it's apples and oranges and were going around in circles. Let's agree to disagree (even though I have no idea where you came from or why you're so obsessed with this). You invented this argument out of nowhere when nobody was arguing with you (or talking to you period) and seem insistent on keeping it going.

Stop taking things so seriously. I think people who complain about B&M rattle are bitches but I freely admit to being a complete bitch in regards to (for example) Skyrush (and Boldikus will happily point that out all the time of I ever start to forget what a complete bitch I am ). I don't get all worked up about it, I just have fun with it. Just laugh about it and stop over analyzing things and taking everything too seriously. I'm here to have fun not have huge multi-page arguments.

I don't agree with this at all, but again it seems like you're being confrontational for absolutely no reason and seeking out an argument and I'm not interested in having one. It also seems like you're taking my posts (which in many cases are going for a laugh) way too seriously. I already addressed all of this and to respond again would just be going around in circles even more.

I gave my opinion of X2 because I was directly asked for it. I'm not condescending about people's opinions unless they talk about B&M rattle and I'll continue to laugh at everyone that does. We're talking about an Arrow. Again, it's apples and oranges and were going around in circles. Let's agree to disagree (even though I have no idea where you came from or why you're so obsessed with this). You invented this argument out of nowhere when nobody was arguing with you (or talking to you period) and seem insistent on keeping it going.

Stop taking things so seriously. I think people who complain about B&M rattle are bitches but I freely admit to being a complete bitch in regards to (for example) Skyrush (and Boldikus will happily point that out all the time of I ever start to forget what a complete bitch I am ). I don't get all worked up about it, I just have fun with it. Just laugh about it and stop over analyzing things and taking everything too seriously. I'm here to have fun not have huge multi-page arguments.

You would've been a great lawyer is all I'll say, great skills at twisting things

Made my first visit to Great America last night. I was really pleasantly surprised! Didn't get to do everything I wanted or really experience the park because the park was only open for 6 hours, but what I did get to was excellent.

Goliath 2x (very back)

Raging Bull 1x (very back)

American Eagle 1x

Viper 1x

Whizzer 1x

Batman 1x

King Chaos 1x

Justice League 1x

Goliath was my first RMC and I was really impressed. I intentionally held my expectations in the middle knowing the "good but not great" reviews and that's the way to go. It's no El Toro, but damn. Probably just outside my top 5.

Raging Bull's first drop in the last row is ridiculous. I was very, very not stapled (3-4 inches between the lapbar and my thighs) and I was well above my seat the entire drop. The only first drops I can think of that I like more are El Toro and *maybe* I-305. The rest of the ride was really fun even with the super obnoxious trim. Liked Goliath a tad more but both exceeded expectations.