TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

God it would be cool if they turned the trim off, but I doubt it will ever happen. I remember how disappointed I was on my last trip to the park a couple years ago when the coaster was just dragging A$$ after the camel back trim. The ride has such a great first drop into the tunnel with a nice pullout. Then... death. It depresses me knowing that this was my first hyper and my favorite coaster for a while.

Has the trim always been in use, or is that something that just came within the last 5-10 years? I feel like when I first rode it 11-12 years ago it hauled A$$ throughout the entire course. I can't tell, because I was so new into the coaster hobby at that time that it could have just been my perspective. My only other coaster experience at that time had been regular trips to SFSTL, two trips to BGT, and one trip to WOF.

Been there the whole time. My recollection is that it isn't on for the first 5 rides of the day while the PLCs calibrate, but ultimately it serves no purpose other than to slow a train down to a specific speed. Sometimes it feels harder, sometimes it doesn't depending on atmospheric conditions, wheel compound, all that. I've gotten a ride with no trimming (usually with a train that's nowhere near full) and ones with it and honestly I can't tell that big a difference. I am also one of the rare people that likes Raging Bull a lot - like more than most hypers because it offers a twister layout over an out and back.

Been there the whole time. My recollection is that it isn't on for the first 5 rides of the day while the PLCs calibrate, but ultimately it serves no purpose other than to slow a train down to a specific speed. Sometimes it feels harder, sometimes it doesn't depending on atmospheric conditions, wheel compound, all that. I've gotten a ride with no trimming (usually with a train that's nowhere near full) and ones with it and honestly I can't tell that big a difference. I am also one of the rare people that likes Raging Bull a lot - like more than most hypers because it offers a twister layout over an out and back.

I've heard about these trim-less rides the first few trains of the day with low loads. People rave about them, but I always assumed the train wasn't going fast enough, so in the end you're getting the same ride you would during typical operation. I share your opinion of the ride- that style of layout is one I wish we saw more of from B&M on their taller non-loopers.

^That's probably pretty likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the people raving about those rides are just excited about not hitting the trim, and forming their opinion around that. B&M trims are set to keep a train at a very specific speed - if it isn't hitting on the first few rides or the day or on an empty train, it just means that train isn't going fast enough to warrant it in the first place.

I plan on going to Six Flags Great America for the first time on Aug. 27 which is a Saturday, and driving 12+ hrs from Alabama. Do anyone know if crowds are minimal considering Labor Day is that next weekend? I'm thinking about getting the Platinum Flash Pass just in case; considering this will be my FIRST and ONLY visit to this park. I just want to be on the safe side.

I plan on going to Six Flags Great America for the first time on Aug. 27 which is a Saturday, and driving 12+ hrs from Alabama. Do anyone know if crowds are minimal considering Labor Day is that next weekend? I'm thinking about getting the Platinum Flash Pass just in case; considering this will be my FIRST and ONLY visit to this park. I just want to be on the safe side.

It's a unanimous yes, get the P Fast Pass. I don't believe you'll find anyone that thinks you can conquer the park with a few re-rides without it. Unfortunately it's the norm today.

I agree with PKI Jizzman. Get the PL Flash Pass if you want re-rides. You will need it for Justice League for sure as the line gets very long. In fact sometimes the lines has to be closed off because of how long it gets. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

^^ Thanks you guys! I'll be sure to do just that. I usually buy the Platinum Flash Pass at every Six Flags Park I go to, so I might as well fork it out this time as well. I was thinking about going that last operating weekend in November, but it might be crowded then. Nothing is written in stone just yet, but thanks for the help.

^^ Thanks you guys! I'll be sure to do just that. I usually buy the Platinum Flash Pass at every Six Flags Park I go to, so I might as well fork it out this time as well. I was thinking about going that last operating weekend in November, but it might be crowded then. Nothing is written in stone just yet, but thanks for the help.

It will be crowded then. Fright Fest here at SFGAm gets more crowded the later it gets. Last year it was like a parking lot inside it was so crowded

I'm heading to the park next Monday. Will put a trip report together.

So here's a few questions:

1. How crowded is it on Mondays and Tuesdays?

2. I'm arriving early so I can catch Goliath and X-Flight first. Anything else I should catch next?

3. Recommend restaurant? (I have gold dining plan)

4. Any rides I worth skipping?

5. How long does JLBFM line get commonly?

I look forward to visiting!

1. I don't think it will be too crowded. Monday's are usually the best days to go.

2. Justice League & Superman.

3. Johnny Rockets, Angelo's Pasta and Pizza, Mooserburger Lodge & Strutters. These are all shutdown restaurants.

4. I don't think so. Ride as many rides as you can.

5. At least 3 hours. There have been times where they had to close the line down for a few minutes because of how long it was.

Look out for line jumping because for some reason this park has really bad line jumping. One last thing, be sure to ride both log flumes.

I hope you have a good time.

I must go to the park on the wrong days then, because I always see JLBFM down. I hit Great America almost once a week. Almost every visit, I see JLBFM down at some point. I've only been on it twice. The second time, only the first two screens were working. Every other screen was frozen or blank.

I must go to the park on the wrong days then, because I always see JLBFM down. I hit Great America almost once a week. Almost every visit, I see JLBFM down at some point. I've only been on it twice. The second time, only the first two screens were working. Every other screen was frozen or blank.

I'm sure it goes down at times, with the amount of technology it uses, and I have heard of certain effects not working at times (i.e. the fire), but I have not really seen it down at all this season on days I have been there, and I have not heard of extended downtime like plagued SFStl's iteration last year. We got on this one on our first attempt this season, while it took 3 tries to finally get on it at SFStl last season.

Normally I wouldn't expect the park to be too crowded on those days, but because next week is a bring a friend for half price it will be a litter busier. Have you considered buying the flash pass? If not you might want to look into that.